GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 09:31 AM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok guys, took some time to drive the lx570 yesterday. First impressions, very heavy steering feel and high seating postion. I couldn't feel a discernible difference in the Mark Levinson from my base LS460 stereo from 09. The fit and finish is truly world class. Driving it feels very lethargic but extremely quiet. Honestly after driving all 3 I will opt in on the GX460.

Last edited by Blkgto; 07-01-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 09:35 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I opted for GX460 as well, just purchased one few days ago, The GX just drives so much easier day to day bases.
The following users liked this post:
Wadle5 (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 10:14 AM
Wadle5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Alex on Auto said in his '14-'15 review of GX 460

4R to GX - cousins

GX to LC Prado - brothers with different mothers

Just my opinion :-)

More than likely an endless debate... '80s GM where literally same car different badge we don't have here

I'm of the opinion different vehicles even if frame and drivetrain are very similar or identical in many respects. The heavy body and panels on top of that frame are substantially different even if many of internal components are interchangeable.

EDIT: It would be interesting to know even though both vehicles are both made at Tahara plant does the GX get more stringent quality control inspections than a 4R?
Actually talked to a Lexus GM, and he explained to me whether true or not was that in regards to body panel finish/gapping while Toyota had tolerance to 1/10th of an inch Lexus were more strict to 1/100th of an inch. After driving both I believe it.
Old 07-03-18, 12:33 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

So you’re believing a salesman with a personal financial interest in selling you something? Let me guess, he didn’t offer to provide a document to back that claim up. Call him back and ask him documented proof.
Old 07-03-18, 07:37 PM
Wadle5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hobbes22
So you’re believing a salesman with a personal financial interest in selling you something? Let me guess, he didn’t offer to provide a document to back that claim up. Call him back and ask him documented proof.
Easy Rod and pump the brakes, I should have clarified a former GM.

Old 07-04-18, 12:12 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

There isn’t a 10x time improvement in tolerances between a Toyota Prado and a Lexus GX. They are made on the same line. Tahara, Aichi. There are probably different tolerances at the Sichuan (China) or the Russian plant.
Old 07-04-18, 12:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I wonder if perhaps an additional final inspection or two? I have no clue about it myself.

There isn’t a 10x time improvement in tolerances between a Toyota Prado and a Lexus GX. They are made on the same line. Tahara, Aichi. There are probably different tolerances at the Sichuan (China) or the Russian plant.
Wadle5 (07-04-18)
Old 07-04-18, 02:59 PM
RA090224x2
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Let’s assume that what @Wadle5 is saying is true because he says some general manager told him so, what do you back-up your comment with?

Last edited by RA090224x2; 07-04-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 04:13 PM
Wadle5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by regis2

Let’s assume that what @Wadle5 is saying is true because he says some general manager told him so, what do you back-up your comment with?
Cool story bro, this is a retired individual who worked for Lexus for over 40 years. I guess he could have made that up, but not quite sure what benefit that would have been for him? Compare a 4runner to gx compare a Camry to an ES. . .the quality control is different, but to each their own. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-04-18, 04:18 PM
Wadle5
Driver School Candidate

Compare a GX to a 4runner and get back to me. Besides the paint quality being vastly different the door gap and final fit and finish on Lexus' are blatantly better than a Toyota. But I mean I guess go with what you feel.
Old 07-04-18, 04:36 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Originally Posted by regis2

Well, I’ve been around Land Cruisers over 20 years. I’ve read postings from people who’ve traveled to Japan and toured the production line. The question of differences between Toyota and Lexus routinely reoccurs. All the smart guys, including the ones who’ve toured the factories, say no difference. It’s all robotics now. Your assumption requires TMC to stand up an entirely parallel body production line (at great expense plus loss of floor space) with massive robotics. And for what? Driving a tolerance on a body line that the human eye cannot perceive? And they did this for the 80 series, 100 series, 120 series, 150 series, and the 200 series? And no bean counter came up with the idea it’d be cheaper to just use one set of tooling at the tighter tolerance?
Old 07-04-18, 04:39 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Originally Posted by Wadle5
Compare a GX to a 4runner and get back to me. Besides the paint quality being vastly different the door gap and final fit and finish on Lexus' are blatantly better than a Toyota. But I mean I guess go with what you feel.
There might be a difference between a 4Runner and GX body tolerance. Different bodies, different tooling. I’m saying there will be none between a Toyota Prado and a Lexus 460 (same body), or a LC and a LX. And I’m not disagreeing on the paint (nor interior material).

Old 07-05-18, 06:25 AM
Wadle5
Driver School Candidate

Well, I’ve been around Land Cruisers over 20 years. I’ve read postings from people who’ve traveled to Japan and toured the production line. The question of differences between Toyota and Lexus routinely reoccurs. All the smart guys, including the ones who’ve toured the factories, say no difference. It’s all robotics now. Your assumption requires TMC to stand up an entirely parallel body production line (at great expense plus loss of floor space) with massive robotics. And for what? Driving a tolerance on a body line that the human eye cannot perceive? And they did this for the 80 series, 100 series, 120 series, 150 series, and the 200 series? And no bean counter came up with the idea it’d be cheaper to just use one set of tooling at the tighter tolerance?
And even with robots yet here we have warrantable defects on new vehicles when they hit the dealership. I would agree that maybe the Lexus get a more thorough look over upon completion of the build, but I understand they are built on the same line?
Old 07-05-18, 04:19 PM
RA090224x2
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a classic story of people saying Lexus IS an overpriced Toyota. There is a difference in quality from a Toyota to a Lexus. If you own a Toyota, congratulations on your purchase. If you own a Lexus, congratulations on your purchase.

Are you you going to tell a Rolls Royce owner that they are driving an overpriced 7 series...
Craigyyy (07-09-18)
Old 07-05-18, 04:38 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I’ve been around Land Cruisers over 20 years. I’ve read postings from people who’ve traveled to Japan and toured the production line. The question of differences between Toyota and Lexus routinely reoccurs. All the smart guys, including the ones who’ve toured the factories, say no difference. It’s all robotics now.
I've toured the production lines about 7 years ago from sheet metal rolls, stamping to paint and final product. It's not all robotics and there are still people in the production line using hand tools including pneumatics and non-pneumatics.
For me, people on the production line using non-pneumatics gave me a new appreciation for the product altogether. Since I have not been to both plants, i can't say which brand is better in this regard but the quality and workmanship is definitely there.

Quick Reply: GX engine