GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 05:32 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GX engine

I am considering a GX460 over the LX570. This is mostly due to cost and overall size. What is the difference in the LS460 engine and the GX460. Why does it have almost 80hp less? Is the addition 15k worth spending and getting the base LX or is the GX something that will satisfy the rigors of everyday driving and occasional camping trips. Is this vehiclr based on the 4runner? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Blkgto; 05-31-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 06:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

What is the difference in the LS460 engine and the GX460. Why does it have almost 80hp less?
Same engine...Street car vs off-road truck, each Built differently for a specific purpose.
Old 05-31-18, 07:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

LS460 engine (1UR-FSE) has direct injection and the 1UR-FE in GX 460 does not.

Thinking of a Fire Agate Pearl? I have a '12 in that color with black interior... I think the rarest of GX 460 colors. Looks like black interior wasn't an option on '14+ in FAP.

Based on Land Cruiser Prado 150 series

Last edited by Acrad; 05-31-18 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Blkgto (05-31-18), vlad_a (06-26-18)
Old 05-31-18, 07:42 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
LS460 engine (1UR-FSE) has direct injection and the 1UR-FE in GX 460 does not.

Thinking of a Fire Agate Pearl? I have a '12 in that color with black interior... I think the rarest of GX 460 colors. Looks like black interior wasn't an option on '14+ in FAP.

Based on Land Cruiser Prado 150 series
Yes sir, you are 100% on the color. Absolutely breath taking. You are right on the interior, it is a beige with brown accents. How is the ride and interior noise levels.
Old 05-31-18, 07:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm actually really pleased with the smooth ride and low noise levels... looking at the one you posted that appears to be a Luxury model so has the adjustable suspension like mine. I can tell a difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort. I am pretty sure Normal is what the suspension setting is like for GX's without the adjustable suspension. There are few owners here who have both LX 570 and GX 460s so hopefully they will chime in for comparison. I've only ever sat in a LX 570 and haven't driven one.
The following users liked this post:
Blkgto (05-31-18)
Old 06-01-18, 07:28 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

So, you are comparing the 2-row LX570 with a Lux GX460? Do you EVER need the 3rd row (I used it about 3 times in the last 4 years). They both have about $4k-$5K rebate (plus the dealer discount). When the ONLY option is $30k separating the two, the decision is easier (buy the GX and save $30k). it is much harder since it's only $15K. They both would do almost everything you want it too and last 200-300k miles.

I DO like the LX - great engine, 8-speed (plus & minus), Love the massive Navi, love the front-end LEDs, much roomier, lots more woods, big wheels (plus & minus).

@hzhao has both so he can tell all about the good, the bad, and the ugly of both.
Blkgto (06-02-18)
Old 06-01-18, 12:16 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

When we shopped for our current GX late last year, we also looked at the LX. My wife and I both loved the interior of the LX, especially the red interior, and the abundant standard features that aren't found on the GX. However, it's a much bigger SUV than the GX. My wife had a really hard time driving it in and out of tight spaces, whereas the GX feels more agile and nimble. The GX also has plenty of room inside as well. If we were only to drive it for long road trips, then the LX would definitely be our pick. Hzhao owns both the LX and GX, he can tell you more from his own experience.
Blkgto (06-02-18)
Old 06-01-18, 01:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This looks like the GX you are looking at
Old 06-01-18, 04:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
So, you are comparing the 2-row LX570 with a Lux GX460? Do you EVER need the 3rd row (I used it about 3 times in the last 4 years). They both have about $4k-$5K rebate (plus the dealer discount). When the ONLY option is $30k separating the two, the decision is easier (buy the GX and save $30k). it is much harder since it's only $15K. They both would do almost everything you want it too and last 200-300k miles.

I DO like the LX - great engine, 8-speed (plus & minus), Love the massive Navi, love the front-end LEDs, much roomier, lots more woods, big wheels (plus & minus).

@hzhao has both so he can tell all about the good, the bad, and the ugly of both.
We primary use LX for long road trips. The ride quality on LX is second to none. As a daily vehicle, I will definitely choose GX over LX, especially for those who has most of city life. Both are great vehicles and share many technical features between them. It will not be a directly apple to apple comparison of them as they are designed to entertain very different markets. From transmission to on-board technology, LX has been pretty much up to date from Toyota overall production strategy point of view, GX is a bit behind will really depends on how GX in US market plays out. At the end of day, it is really down to your personal preference and primary purpose of the use of vehicles, either one will keep you happy for years to come.

Last edited by hzhao; 06-01-18 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (06-01-18), User21c (06-02-18)
Old 06-01-18, 04:40 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm in the market for a GX as well. And for the longest I was contemplating between the LX and the GX.
From the outside, they "looked" almost identical just by looking at them side by side. But when I drove the LX it felt much bigger. It definitely felt like driving a full size truck. Interior, the LX gains about a foot of space in the cargo and just few inches in the width of the 2nd row. The techs on the LX is nice, but just like rest of my other vehicles, i never use them.

So for me the GX felt more of all around vehicle and as Hzhao mentioned, it felt more oriented towards a daily driver. I probably will end up with a GX in few months, just wish that the cargo space is little bit bigger on the GX.

Also did cross shopping on other 3 row cross over, such as Audi, Volvo, and MDX and GX is a winner in my opinion.
Old 06-02-18, 06:26 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Alright, first and foremost thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I was able to do past few day. First up I drove the 4Runner. The ride is composed and tight. They 5 speed transmission feels dated as does the 4.0 V6. At times I could sense a bit of NVH that was a bit more for my taste. The interior was ok, a bit utilitarian and dated. Interior noise was minimal and the ride was smooth and composed for the most part. Next I drove the Jeep Cherokee. It drove well and was composed. Even though the interior looked much better, there was an absence of craftsmanship and small quality nuances. Interior storage compartment doors didnt close as smooth as with little effort. From the appearances looks very well put together. Engine was a 3.6L V6, had plenty of NVH but transmission was 8 speed and much more fluid. BMW X5 was my next test drive. Excellent use of material and craftsmanship is on point. However, the interior noise was too much for the price tag and was not as smooth as I was looking for. It was a lot smaller than the other vehicles I had test drove as well. I am 6 foot 1 and about 290 lbs, most of the time my seat is almost alway scooted back. Last two vehicle I test drove was the Tundra. I was actually shocked at the engine grunt, transmission hunting, and interior noise as well. The chassis was not composed on a poorly maintained road that I took many times in my Tahoe. I actually realized at this point that the American Trucks and SUVs have made tremendous progress in ride quality and cabin noise elimination. I finally fished up with the GX460. My god, this vehicle drove absolutely amazing. The ride quality was smooth, interior noise was quite, and chassis help the road very well. Craftsmanship was on par or better than the BMW. I still cant believe that this is based on the Toyota 4Runner, GX feels in another league. Only one more test drive left and it is the LX570. Ill keep you all posted on my thoughts, and what I decide on buying. Thanks again for the input again.
Old 06-02-18, 07:26 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Just for point of reference. I drive a 2009 ls460, silky smooth, powerful ,and quite. I have also had numerous Tahoe and GM trucks of the higher trims varieties.
Old 06-13-18, 08:30 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkgto
Alright, first and foremost thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I was able to do past few day. First up I drove the 4Runner. The ride is composed and tight. They 5 speed transmission feels dated as does the 4.0 V6. At times I could sense a bit of NVH that was a bit more for my taste. The interior was ok, a bit utilitarian and dated. Interior noise was minimal and the ride was smooth and composed for the most part. Next I drove the Jeep Cherokee. It drove well and was composed. Even though the interior looked much better, there was an absence of craftsmanship and small quality nuances. Interior storage compartment doors didnt close as smooth as with little effort. From the appearances looks very well put together. Engine was a 3.6L V6, had plenty of NVH but transmission was 8 speed and much more fluid. BMW X5 was my next test drive. Excellent use of material and craftsmanship is on point. However, the interior noise was too much for the price tag and was not as smooth as I was looking for. It was a lot smaller than the other vehicles I had test drove as well. I am 6 foot 1 and about 290 lbs, most of the time my seat is almost alway scooted back. Last two vehicle I test drove was the Tundra. I was actually shocked at the engine grunt, transmission hunting, and interior noise as well. The chassis was not composed on a poorly maintained road that I took many times in my Tahoe. I actually realized at this point that the American Trucks and SUVs have made tremendous progress in ride quality and cabin noise elimination. I finally fished up with the GX460. My god, this vehicle drove absolutely amazing. The ride quality was smooth, interior noise was quite, and chassis help the road very well. Craftsmanship was on par or better than the BMW. I still cant believe that this is based on the Toyota 4Runner, GX feels in another league. Only one more test drive left and it is the LX570. Ill keep you all posted on my thoughts, and what I decide on buying. Thanks again for the input again.
The GX460 is not based on the 4 runner. It does not share any similarities. It is based on the Toyota Landcruiser Parado 150 platform sold overseas. For those that do not know the Landcruisers are designed and engineered differently. Toyota has a special engineering division that designs the landcruiser models. They go way above and beyond the typical Toyota models and are far superior than the majority of their competitors off road vehicles. When you purchase a landcruiser vehicle you are getting more than just some AWD based SUV.

The smooth ride quality is a really good off road suspension system. It also happens to excel in on road manors. The more time you spend behind the wheel the better it gets. We’ve had our 460 for about a year now and it’s been a great vehicle.
Old 06-15-18, 12:40 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ

The GX460 is not based on the 4 runner. It does not share any similarities. It is based on the Toyota Landcruiser Parado 150 platform sold overseas. For those that do not know the Landcruisers are designed and engineered differently. Toyota has a special engineering division that designs the landcruiser models. They go way above and beyond the typical Toyota models and are far superior than the majority of their competitors off road vehicles. When you purchase a landcruiser vehicle you are getting more than just some AWD based SUV.

The smooth ride quality is a really good off road suspension system. It also happens to excel in on road manors. The more time you spend behind the wheel the better it gets. We’ve had our 460 for about a year now and it’s been a great vehicle.

The GX may not be based on the 4Runner but they are closely related. The 4Runner is based off the Prado platform, it just isn't as much of a badge engineering job as the GX is. The 4Runner is built at the Tahara plant just like the GX.
Old 06-15-18, 12:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Alex on Auto said in his '14-'15 review of GX 460

4R to GX - cousins

GX to LC Prado - brothers with different mothers

Just my opinion :-)

More than likely an endless debate... '80s GM where literally same car different badge we don't have here

I'm of the opinion different vehicles even if frame and drivetrain are very similar or identical in many respects. The heavy body and panels on top of that frame are substantially different even if many of internal components are interchangeable.

EDIT: It would be interesting to know even though both vehicles are both made at Tahara plant does the GX get more stringent quality control inspections than a 4R?

Last edited by Acrad; 06-15-18 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: GX engine