GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rx350 or GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18 | 06:53 PM
Jessie77
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx350 or GX460?

I currently drive a 2010 rx350, I love everything about the vehicle besides the looks. I’m hoping to make an upgrade soon, I’m looking at a 2014-2016 GX or a 2016 RX. I know that the RX has better tech and better MPG, although I really love the large size and imposing looks of the GX especially since I’m 6’7” and head room is a big deal to me. Was anyone else in a similar situation? What swayed you one way or another?
Old 06-07-18 | 07:45 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Jessie77
I currently drive a 2010 rx350, I love everything about the vehicle besides the looks. I’m hoping to make an upgrade soon, I’m looking at a 2014-2016 GX or a 2016 RX. I know that the RX has better tech and better MPG, although I really love the large size and imposing looks of the GX especially since I’m 6’7” and head room is a big deal to me. Was anyone else in a similar situation? What swayed you one way or another?
The key fact between those two is GX is the body on frame SUV, not as RX which is a unibody crossover vehicle. From your posting, I have sensed that you may have only compared the size and appearance between of them, but I will strongly recommend you to take the drive comparison between two of them before you make your decision. If the ride quality is important to you, then RX maybe more suitable for you. From physical size, GX actually a little shorter and narrower than RX, even though the overall height is about 7 inches more than RX, but, there are more ground clearance on GX as well, so the net interior headroom gain may not as much as you may think. Really come down the overall how you use the vehicle, if you willing to exchange the ride quality for the minimal headroom gain, and reduce the overall interior volume, then go for the GX.
Old 06-07-18 | 08:03 PM
Jessie77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
The key fact between those two is GX is the body on frame SUV, not as RX which is a unibody crossover vehicle. From your posting, I have sensed that you may have only compared the size and appearance between of them, but I will strongly recommend you to take the drive comparison between two of them before you make your decision. If the ride quality is important to you, then RX maybe more suitable for you. From physical size, GX actually a little shorter and narrower than RX, even though the overall height is about 7 inches more than RX, but, there are more ground clearance on GX as well, so the net interior headroom gain may not as much as you may think. Really come down the overall how you use the vehicle, if you willing to exchange the ride quality for the minimal headroom gain, and reduce the overall interior volume, then go for the GX.
Thanks for the input, you’ve made some good points. I’ve been in both vehicles but am yet to actually drive them.
Old 06-08-18 | 10:23 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

I believe ride quality is subjective. Personally I like the way GX drives -- very solid and confidence inspiring. GX offers commanding view of the road. RX, to me, drives like a tin can on wheels. No way I would prefer RX ride over GX.
Old 06-08-18 | 12:10 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

I had a 2017 RX for loaner vehicle. super fun to drive. I liked the way some of it was laid out on the inside. it was peppy especially in sport mode.
I would still take the GX over it. the RX I would never take it off a paved road. I would even be nervous to drive it in the snow. the GX is way more confident and better built....in my opinion.
Old 06-08-18 | 12:12 PM
jitdc
Driver School Candidate

I came from an RX into a GX and can't believe it took me so long to make the upgrade. For me, the GX is much more comfortable but I prefer more of a truck ride that sits taller. Before kids the RX was a great car. After kids theres no comparison, the GX hands down works best for us. Could have possibly made the argument to go finagle my way into the LX but I'm still very happy overall with our GX... and the swing out door, yes it could be better designed but it has not caused any issues for me. It does allow you to have better access to the rear storage without a door in the way plus I can throw our paddle boards or kayaks on top and still have full use of the rear cargo area going to or coming from the lake.
Old 06-08-18 | 12:31 PM
rmason
Driver

Its a hard comparison. I get the rx as a rental every time im in for service and it's quite a different feel altogether. I can't say I like it over the GX or dislike it..it's really a different vehicle or at least it feels so to me.
Rx has a cockpit kind of feel compared to the GX it feels more cramped or snug depending on who you ask. Definitely more peppy, feels lighter the steering feels lighter too. Feels more sportier? There seems to be a hair bit more road noise than the GX either due to lower profile tires and/or less sound deading material. Unibody vs bodyon frame as you know are obvious differences in ride characteristics. Parking seems easier a bit on the RX. Acceleration difference is there...breaking distance difference is also apparent. Driven with a heavy foot the RX averaged 19mpg, GX I'm sure will be in the 13's. RX has better infotainment, GX is outdated. Overall I tell myself what a great package the RX is every time. My wife on the other hand still prefers the GX and for the price difference, I do too. To me the RX feels like a nicely balanced framing hammer and the GX feels like a stout 5lb sledge...quite different but both have their uses.

Last edited by rmason; 06-08-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-08-18 | 02:46 PM
LFIL
Rookie

We have a 2007 RX, and a 2013 GX, so maybe not comparable to a 2016 RX. I'm 6'4". If you have more than yourself in the vehicle, and especially more than two people often, go with the GX. You will have the seat as far back as it goes on both, which will pinch the people in the back more on the RX

I actually prefer the ride of the GX, it's smoother and quieter. I'm not looking for a sports car feel-if I want that I drive one of the German cars in the garage. That said, braking on the GX sucks. It does have the advantage of more cargo space.
Old 06-10-18 | 09:55 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Yeah... these are totally different vehicles. We went from a GX470 to A 16’ RX350 to a 13’ GX460. Mostly we missed the size of the 460 and while my wife still prefers and comfort and pick up of a rx the GX just is better for us on long road trips. We drive from Seattle to the Oregon coast and eastern Washington on a regular basis so we put a lot of miles on cars - rx did great but there is something about the body on frame feel the GX gives us on the highway that makes us more comfortable. I put more agressive tires on the Gx and occasionally go off road, something I wouldn’t want to do in an RX.
Old 06-13-18 | 03:32 PM
klwagoner
Driver

I traded in my 2013 RX, which I had for just over three years, for a 2016 GX. I would think as tall as you are that you'd prefer the GX. The GX interior feels bigger to me and I know my husband doesn't look as "crammed in" the GX as he did the RX. My RX rode great on Michelin tires that were inflated to 32 psi. When they routinely lost pressure, I could tell in the ride. Only had the GX since May 19 and I put new Michelins on it - LOOOOVE the ride so far - superior to the RX IMO. If gas mileage is your overriding concern, stick with the RX (average 20 mpg).
Test drive each of them - only way to know what you prefer.
Old 06-13-18 | 03:34 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Originally Posted by LFIL
We have a 2007 RX, and a 2013 GX, so maybe not comparable to a 2016 RX. I'm 6'4". If you have more than yourself in the vehicle, and especially more than two people often, go with the GX. You will have the seat as far back as it goes on both, which will pinch the people in the back more on the RX

I actually prefer the ride of the GX, it's smoother and quieter. I'm not looking for a sports car feel-if I want that I drive one of the German cars in the garage. That said, braking on the GX sucks. It does have the advantage of more cargo space.
Glad to know that braking issue isn't imagined by me! Definitely does not brake like the RX.
Old 06-13-18 | 03:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I had someone cut off me the other day and had to do a full on panic stop... lots of dive but surprisingly stopped pretty quick in a full on brake scenario
The following users liked this post:
klwagoner (06-13-18)
Old 06-14-18 | 01:22 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Like all the others have said GX460 is body on frame truck based old school SUV. The RX350 is a unibody. Think of it as a car based vehicle. The RX will be more peppy and get better fuel mileage. It also takes regular fuel and not premium.

The GX is based on the Toyota Landcruiser Parado 150 platform. It’s sold overseas. You may want to do some research on that model to get more of an idea of where the GX460 comes from.

Test drive the GX460 and just remember that’s it’s a heavy vehicle with the two speed transfer case and all supporting drivetrain. Unlike traditional car based AWD vehicles that use clutch plates to transfer power between axels the GX transfers power to all 4 wheels all the time.