GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Aftermarket Rear Seat Entertainment Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 05:26 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Yes. One thumb screw and one single multi-pin plug. I also made a black fabric soft cover just like OEM ones, and blended with interior even better when is not in use.

I like the easy removal, and your covers look great too.

I like that they are easy to remove. The covers look great too. Now I just have to find a GX!
Old 06-27-18, 07:25 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I like that they are easy to remove. The covers look great too. Now I just have to find a GX!
Haha! Your are welcome! Now you reminded me when I bought my dinning set furniture before I have house built

I am sure that you will find your GX at no time
Old 07-27-18, 12:04 AM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

nice, thanks for sharing. Will be getting same screens now Can you share more about how you made the covers? They look really cool
Old 07-27-18, 06:20 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by HedgeFund
nice, thanks for sharing. Will be getting same screens now Can you share more about how you made the covers? They look really cool
As for how to make the cover, just a piece of soft fabric which I found at home (a unused pillow cover), a ruler, and a sewing machine I just measured the size of the screen, cut the fabric, sewing two sides.... Just a simple cover. In fact, I didn't even bother to find the black strings, and used white one that was on the sewing machine.
Old 07-28-18, 11:21 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

It is cheaper and easier to buy tablets, download a bunch of movies and be done with it. Kids can watch, play whatever they want!
Old 07-28-18, 02:03 PM
mgs1995
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tablets might be better but some of us are old school and have a pile of DVDs that the kids like watching. I have the same aftermarket unit; it works great.
Old 08-02-18, 11:59 AM
Tacosal1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear entertainment

Hello people,

I used onfair.com DVD/Android combo TV's/tablets I purchased 4 for the 4 rear seats 4 kids 4 tv's lol,they are awesome good Chinese quality, I added an SD card with 100 kids movies,you have wifi for YouTube and everything for Android,you have the DVD player for dvd's it's great.

Old 08-04-18, 06:32 PM
KStrong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
There are several of members have done so. Here is what I have done and ones I used were from Amazon, so far has been worked flawlessly and serve the purposes. Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HZHAO, that looks awesome! Question, are you running it off the factory head unit? Any write up or more information on your install and complete setup? Specifically, does the factory head unit have outputs or do I have to do something aftermarket. Looking to do something like this in my 15 GX, as I too have kids that like DVDs LOL
Old 08-04-18, 08:16 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KStrong
HZHAO, that looks awesome! Question, are you running it off the factory head unit? Any write up or more information on your install and complete setup? Specifically, does the factory head unit have outputs or do I have to do something aftermarket. Looking to do something like this in my 15 GX, as I too have kids that like DVDs LOL
The units are not attached to factory head unit and has DVD built-in. The installation is fairly straight forward. I ran the power from the fuse box which combined with the project by adding the power outlets to the second row passengers. Here is the reference for the power ran:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...x-460-a-3.html

The following users liked this post:
KStrong (08-06-18)
Old 04-07-19, 10:31 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino
After 2 weeks, the ebay units are still working good. I did some more research, the android based tablet also uses the same connection and mount. Which means that, I can always upgrade mine to latest and greatest rear seat tablet unit without rewiring if i choose to. All I need is just to remove the unit from the headrest mount, and plug new one in.
Hello Tuandino!

Are your ebay 11.6 units still working well?

We are finally about to get at least one of these units or something recommended for a rear seat entertainment system.

We have an IPAD, but I don't like how we have to save movies to it, as we don't have movies downloaded to load onto it, and it is a very small 16Gb storage, and almost full of pics and games, etc.

If you were to do it again, would you do anything different or buy a different unit?

Also, do the 11.6 inch units have a battery on-board or just 12V input from the adapter? Do you have a problem with them returning to the place where a DVD or movie stops after you kill the ignition and re-start later?
Old 04-09-19, 10:43 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey Gxxr, after over 1 year of daily usage, they are still working flawlessly. I also bought the android based tablet that uses the same connection as the DVD player and use them interchangeably. Both are working fine till this day. They do not have battery onboard, but they do play from the place you stop after you turn the car off. Lately I've been using the android unit more since it has wifi connection to tether off my phone's data. I can just play youtube kid, and other kiddie apps.