PN: 16401-30020 / Cap
PN: 16572-38151 / Lower Hose
PN: 16571-38100 / Upper Hose
PN: 90466-A0026 - hose clamps
Old 04-17-20, 09:12 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Denso is most likely OE. They make many OE Toyota / Lexus parts and are top notch quality. They are OE on the LS and SC, what everyone uses, so no reason to think they would not be on the GX. Gates makes great hoses as well. But if you want to pay triple via dealer markup that is your choice. RockAuto is fantastic. I have been using it for years to source parts for my various vehicles. Amazon also when the price is right. Filters and oil usually.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-17-20 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 09:38 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Denso is most likely OE. They make many OE Toyota / Lexus parts and are top notch quality. They are OE on the LS and SC, what everyone uses, so no reason to think they would not be on the GX.
"is most likely" ... the operative words ... yes, Denso makes many Toyota/Lexus parts, but should not be automatic in assuming. Replacing the radiator is a PITA given the limited access ... so for me going OEM is worth the up-charge, assuming wholesale pricing and no sales tax. I personally do not trust unknown Amazon suppliers ... too many reported counterfeit parts for my comfort.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshe.../#3b985c9c2200
Old 04-18-20, 09:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
"is most likely" ... the operative words ... yes, Denso makes many Toyota/Lexus parts, but should not be automatic in assuming. Replacing the radiator is a PITA given the limited access ... so for me going OEM is worth the up-charge, assuming wholesale pricing and no sales tax. I personally do not trust unknown Amazon suppliers ... too many reported counterfeit parts for my comfort.

Personally, I have never had any issues with Amazon over 10 years of using them. Denso warranty is the exact same as the dealer part. It's about 99% chance they make the radiator. Even if they did not for some odd reason they make fantastic parts. No logical reason why you should not use them in my opinion.

I agree with you that using cheap aftermarket parts is not wise. What many fail to realize is you can often source OE parts through 3rd parties at 1/2 - 1/4 the cost. There are also good aftermarket parts available. Moog, Beck Arnley, Bosch, KYB, Gates, Aisin, & Desno are just a few. As mentioned, owners of the LS have been using Denso radiators for years with great success.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-19-20 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 04:59 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Personally, I have never had any issues with Amazon over 10 years of using them. Denso warranty is the exact same as the dealer part. It's about 99% chance they make the radiator. Even if they did not for some odd reason they make fantastic parts. No logical reason why you should not use them in my opinion.

I agree with you that using cheap aftermarket parts is not wise. What many fail to realize is you can often source OE parts through 3rd parties at 1/2 - 1/4 the cost. There are also good aftermarket parts available. Moog, Beck Arnley, Bosch, KYB, Gates, Aisin, & Desno are just a few. As mentioned, owners of the LS have been using Denso radiators for years with great success.

​​​​​​
Amazon is not a seller ... they are a fulfillment operation for suppliers, some of whom (more so in the electronics, cosmetic and automotive space) sell counterfeit items that are very close to exact copies minus the quality materials and quality controls of the real thing. Amazon does not have a great track record of filtering these suppliers. The Forbes article (link below) is just one of many articles flagging this Amazon problem that has continued for years ...

Last edited by ASE; 04-19-20 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
craigrpete (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20, 09:48 AM
dclaytor
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback, taking to local shop, Made in Japan and they will inspect and replace with oem parts if needed tmrw, will follow up afterwards.
Old 09-28-20, 02:31 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hose, radiator or both?

Returned from a trip to the Caribbean to find a dead battery and remnants of leaking coolant near/around the top radiator hose. Went to Costco, picked up a $90 Interstate 24F, dropped it in and Toyoro fired right up.

But the coolant leak, not sure if it is radiator, hose or both. I have hoses on hand. Wondering if I should replace radiator too.

Old 09-28-20, 02:48 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 594 Likes on 360 Posts

Hard to tell from the pictures... if you are north of 90000 miles and it's never been serviced I'd replace everything... hoses, radiator, water pump...
of course you could always start small with just the hoses to see if it keeps leaking... or clean it up and see if you can locate the source of the leak before making a decision
Old 09-28-20, 03:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I'm hoping it is just a bad hose but have seen several before like that which required radiator replacement. IIRC.... the plastic may have split on that upper hose fitting.
Old 09-28-20, 08:00 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Mine was identical to that and ended up being the radiator. Do the radiator, hoses, and make sure you also get NEW OEM clamps also.
Old 09-28-20, 09:15 PM
ASE
Pole Position

On a cold engine, remove and replace the radiator cap to relieve the system of any pressure, then pressure wash the area in question to remove any scale buildup and contamination ... let the area in question completely dry (do not start the vehicle) ... use a hair dryer on the hot setting to speed up the localized drying process if necessary. Once completely dry, spray the area in question with "Gold Bond Spray Foot Powder" ... a nice even thick coat of white powder ... let dry for 5-odd minutes, and then start the vehicle ... immediately inspect for the leak ... the white powder will turn black when liquid is present ... even a superficial amount of liquid will be easily visible. An inspection mirror is a good assist to eyeball from multiple angles. It may take a few minutes for the cooling system to reach full pressure, and the leak may not present itself until full operating temperature is reached and the thermostat has fully opened.

It is common for the plastic radiator end-tank to separate from the radiator core ... typically starts by weeping ... but hopefully you are only dealing with the hose interface.

Last edited by ASE; 09-28-20 at 09:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
JoshDrivin (09-29-20), nuclearn8 (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 07:30 AM
JoshDrivin
Driver

All excellent info, thank you! Decided to go ahead and add the radiator and water pump to my scheduled 100K service which includes the hoses, OEM clamps and Super Long Life Coolant already on hand.

Anything else I should add to my cart below?

Old 09-29-20, 07:33 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

OEM radiator cap and since it's going to be all apart, I'd do the fan clutch since it's only $112 for the Aisin from Rock Auto.

Also, do the serp belt, pully, and tensioner since it will be so much easier with the radiator out of the way. I'd skip OEM and go with the Continental kit. When I did my serp belt, the Conti belt was actually a Mitsuboshi which might as well be OEM. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
ASE (09-29-20), JoshDrivin (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 08:02 AM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Originally Posted by Romanova
OEM radiator cap and since it's going to be all apart, I'd do the fan clutch since it's only $112 for the Aisin from Rock Auto.

Also, do the serp belt, pully, and tensioner since it will be so much easier with the radiator out of the way. I'd skip OEM and go with the Continental kit. When I did my serp belt, the Conti belt was actually a Mitsuboshi which might as well be OEM. Good luck!
I like the way you think 🧠. Called Discount Parts Monster, they say the radiator cap is included with new radiator. Looking into the belt kit.
Old 09-29-20, 09:35 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Wow ... lots of solutions without even knowing the root cause

Quick Reply: Radiator Questions and Comments