GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Worth Buying a New GX Right Now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 06:53 AM
shimps1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Worth Buying a New GX Right Now?

Basically what the title says. GX was last redesigned in 2010, and it's clearly showing it's age. We're cross shopping a GX and an RX. My wife really likes the size and height of the GX. I would prefer to have the safety features of dynamic cruise, lane keep assist, etc, that the RX comes with standard, not to mention the gas mileage. We can get a pretty decently loaded RX in our budget ($51k selling price) but we're struggling to get many options on the GX in that range. I do see Lexus has thrown $4k cash on the GX for this month, so that is helping.

What do you GX owners think? Would you buy a new one right now? Or would you go for the RX, knowing the GX has an impending redesign coming? We really don't NEED the size of the GX, but it would certainly be nice to have.

Resale, per my 10 minutes of research, seems pretty comparable between the two. We're planning on keeping this thing for 8+ years.
Old 07-11-18, 08:11 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

You answered it yourself, the wife really likes the GX. Sounds like that's what you're getting.

Yeah it's an old platform in desperate need of a redesign, but it's still a really nice vehicle. Chances of seeing a redesigned one anytime soon is pretty low. It's possible we could see a refresh but you won't really know for sure until you see 2019s hit. And then you restart the clock by about another year waiting for 2020, etc.

I would shop it very hard and get as much money off as I could. Alternatively you could do a lease which would limit your exposure if a new model comes out. Or just buy her a new GX today, and whenever a new one comes out (at least 2 years away, but probably more), just trade in.
Old 07-11-18, 08:24 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The GX doesn't really provide much of a size advantage over the RX. It's taller, but they're basically the same length and width. The height helps overall interior volume, and provides the perception of the GX being larger, but things like legroom and headroom are pretty similar between the two, with the RX having an advantage in some categories. Unless you're looking at an RX-L, the GX does have the advantage of a third row seat but if you aren't going to use the third row its a moot point.

Would I buy a new GX? Probably not. As there hasn't been much change to the vehicle since the 2014 refresh, I'd personally try to save some money and get a used one. If that isn't an option and it's either a new GX or a new RX, I'd still choose the GX despite its age because I like the way it drives over the RX and I still like the GX's interior despite its age. I wouldn't forego a GX, due to an impending redesign, by getting an RX. I'd forego getting a GX in order to wait and get a redesigned GX.
Old 07-11-18, 08:26 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

GX is getting long on tooth. Over GX I picked last year Mercedes ML550, fully loaded with air suspension. More power, more towing with ML.
Almost same size V8 between two but ML is biturbo. Also ML550 has very good track record as far as reliability is concerned. Nothing happened
since I picked it up. Service interval is 12K miles. I also got 3 year 100% coverage extended warranty with 50 .00 deductible no matter what goes wrong
with the vehicle. Rumor says if next gen. GX ever comes out it'll be unibody type.

Last edited by Htony; 07-11-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 08:31 AM
shimps1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good points guys, thanks for the insights.

I think the only issue with your point, bd5400, is that a used GX is nearly the same price as a new one, but with 15-20k miles. Factoring in the current $4k on the hood, I think even more so.

I do like the idea of buying one, and trading in in two years or so.The GX is one of those rare cars (4Runner, Wrangler, Tacoma) that does well enough holding it's value that you aren't killing yourself trading it in.
Old 07-11-18, 08:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shimps1
Good points guys, thanks for the insights.

I think the only issue with your point, bd5400, is that a used GX is nearly the same price as a new one, but with 15-20k miles. Factoring in the current $4k on the hood, I think even more so.

I do like the idea of buying one, and trading in in two years or so.The GX is one of those rare cars (4Runner, Wrangler, Tacoma) that does well enough holding it's value that you aren't killing yourself trading it in.
A few things to think about when considered a newly redesigned vehicle.
1) Bugs. And that goes for ALL car brands and models for the first 2 to 3 model years
2) Lack of discounts.
3) There may not be a redesign or a vehicle that is completely different
4) Higher MSRP potentially

If you have to have a 3rd row, the GX is a good option. I'm 5'9" and I fit back there. I wouldnt sit there on a cross country road trip, but an hr or 2 is tolerable. If you dont need a 3rd row, then the RX may be the better option. Just avoid the L since the 3rd row is literally useless. I got into the 3rd row of the thing at the NY car show and got stuck. I had to escape from the back of the L.
Old 07-11-18, 09:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think I have seen the same type of post multiple times and I gave the same advice. The GX is a solid tested vehicle, the number of bugs in this things have either worked themselves out, or the QC team has basically stopped caring and basically only comes on board if something comes up in the field, versus the RX, which probably still has quirks that might be changed, or updates that are coming down the line. Both solid choices, i say if anything the safety is a big plus with the RX, newer design means its probably got a sounder structure to comply with recent testing requirements, semi auto driving features, better interior. The GX has a clunkier interior (its design freeze was way back when) but its a beast. If you dont mind the interior age, vehicle design, and lack of newer features safety infotainment, id say GX. If you want something in the modern era, take a look at the RX/LX if budget allows. The GXs future is unknown, and although i hoped maybe 2019 would change things and give a LX style refresh, I think this is one thing they are going to leave alone until after the new 300 series/TNGA Lexus platform is launched in 2020. And I say this since they are pumping up the incentives on an SUV, in a primarily SUV record sales market.
Old 07-11-18, 09:09 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bd5400
The GX doesn't really provide much of a size advantage over the RX. It's taller, but they're basically the same length and width. The height helps overall interior volume, and provides the perception of the GX being larger, but things like legroom and headroom are pretty similar between the two, with the RX having an advantage in some categories. Unless you're looking at an RX-L, the GX does have the advantage of a third row seat but if you aren't going to use the third row its a moot point.

Would I buy a new GX? Probably not. As there hasn't been much change to the vehicle since the 2014 refresh, I'd personally try to save some money and get a used one. If that isn't an option and it's either a new GX or a new RX, I'd still choose the GX despite its age because I like the way it drives over the RX and I still like the GX's interior despite its age. I wouldn't forego a GX, due to an impending redesign, by getting an RX. I'd forego getting a GX in order to wait and get a redesigned GX.
On top of that GX is more off road capable, In my case deal breaker was swing out tail gate vs. usual swing up type. Wife absolutely did not like it.
Old 07-11-18, 10:45 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think I have seen the same type of post multiple times and I gave the same advice. The GX is a solid tested vehicle, the number of bugs in this things have either worked themselves out, or the QC team has basically stopped caring and basically only comes on board if something comes up in the field, versus the RX, which probably still has quirks that might be changed, or updates that are coming down the line. Both solid choices, i say if anything the safety is a big plus with the RX, newer design means its probably got a sounder structure to comply with recent testing requirements, semi auto driving features, better interior. The GX has a clunkier interior (its design freeze was way back when) but its a beast. If you dont mind the interior age, vehicle design, and lack of newer features safety infotainment, id say GX. If you want something in the modern era, take a look at the RX/LX if budget allows. The GXs future is unknown, and although i hoped maybe 2019 would change things and give a LX style refresh, I think this is one thing they are going to leave alone until after the new 300 series/TNGA Lexus platform is launched in 2020. And I say this since they are pumping up the incentives on an SUV, in a primarily SUV record sales market.
And LX V8 is more fuel efficient being a newer design compared to that of GX.
Old 07-11-18, 10:56 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Care to educate us how you arrived at that conclusion?

Last edited by Quadro; 07-11-18 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 12:46 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the same boat a few months ago. We had a 2010 GX460 and really, really liked it. However, we got into an accident earlier in the year, and after it was repaired it was never the same.. I then started looking into a replacement vehicle. I was set on a 2016-17 GX, but seeing the prices for those were still right at $50k with 10-20k miles, I decided to shop around. We drove the new RX, Highlanders, and other 3 row SUVs, but never found anything we liked more than our old GX. We decided to up pick up a new 2018 Nebula Gray Pearl Premium with the Sport Design Package for about $51k ($11k off MSRP) off MSRP and have absolutely no regrets. In my opinion it has all the right features, and does everything we need very well. The captain seats, full LED headlights are a really nice touch compared to our 2010.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-11-18, 02:41 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Price I paid.. it’s makes absolute sense to get a new GX. 60k MSRP car for 45.3k plus taxes.
Old 07-11-18, 03:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Fairly sure it is the same basic 5.7L in LX 570 that has been available since 2008. The 4.6L was released for 2010 model year.

Here is a good overview of the 4.6L when it was released in '10.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-r...engine-review/
Old 07-11-18, 03:30 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m driving a GLS450 right now and it’s ride and handling is very unimpressive. It feels like a car on stilts and gets tossed around a lot. The GXs suspension is so much better - rides smoother takes bumps better, and feels like a solid tank on the freeway. I’m sure the ml class is similar. It’s a crossover and rides like one. I love the practicality of the GX.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 04:27 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Cars don't always improve, I could easily see the next generation GX being a more car based CUV type vehicle. Laws like CAFE have made it very difficult for the automakers to still make vehicles like this.

Quick Reply: Worth Buying a New GX Right Now?