GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 08:08 AM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no issues with my k02 in the rain.
Old 08-24-20, 09:48 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got KO2s on one vehicle and Falken on the GX.

So far I don't notice a huge difference.
Old 08-25-20, 10:27 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

One thing I noticed with KO2 is that they are nice and quiet when new. When they are worn down a bit, they can get pretty loud.

I have over 10k miles on my Wilkpeak and they still look new and the sound hasn't changed much.
Old 08-26-20, 07:11 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I have heard people complain about KO2s, but not about wildpeaks. I suspect a lot has to do with the fact there are a ton more KO2s out there than falkens.
Old 08-26-20, 08:41 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

OP what size are you going with?
Old 08-27-20, 02:41 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Also LT vs SL makes difference. LT's are rougher and noiser than the standard.
Old 08-27-20, 04:55 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Any one tried Yokohama GEOLANDAR® A/T G015 for the GX460? I used that for my Subaru Outback before. It is a great balance for offroading and regular roads. Great grip on wet and dry roads. very less noise. Just another choice
Old 08-28-20, 07:52 PM
oldgx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Wildpeaks sucks *****...can’t get them to balance.
Old 05-27-23, 08:11 PM
baxter123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSI on 265/60/18 KO2s on GX460?

Discount tire mounted at 36 or so. Seems like I need to increase, but any experience?
Old 05-27-23, 09:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgx460
My Wildpeaks sucks *****...can’t get them to balance.
Was a BFG man for well over 30-odd years ... no more ... thought Michelin acquisition would have improved ... but balancing issues continued ... with out-of-round after 50% treadwear being guaranteed even with every 5k mile rotation and balance. Never again ... done with BFG ... have moved on to Nitto ... amazing tires.

No matter the tire ... IMHO ... the GX absolutely requires Road Force Balancing ... anything less ... live with the consequence ... given the GX front end is extremely sensitive to any level of imbalance ... as are any of the Toyota truck based platforms ... Tacoma ... FJ Cruiser ... 4-Runner.

Last edited by ASE; 05-28-23 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peacebay (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 09:06 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Was a BFG man for well over 30-odd years ... no more ... thought Michelin acquisition would have improved ... but balancing issues continued ... with out-of-round after 50% treadwear being guaranteed even with every 5k mile rotation and balance. Never again ... done with BFG ... have moved on to Nitto ... amazing tires.

No matter the tire ... IMHO ... the GX absolutely requires Road Force Balancing ... anything less ... live with the consequence ... given the GX front end is extremely sensitive to any level of imbalance ... as are any of the Toyota truck based platforms ... Tacoma ... FJ Cruiser ... 4-Runner.
@ASE, which nitto tires you rolling on? I'm happy with the terra grapplers so far, with over 30k miles on them they still roll quiet and stay in balance (rotation and balance every 5k). Plus the tread wear is pretty impressive for such a heavy vehicle, looks like I'll get at least another 15-20k miles out of them. My old A6 and A4 quattros would chew through tires, I'd have to replace them every 20k miles at least!
Old 05-28-23, 09:15 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xychromo
@ASE, which nitto tires you rolling on? I'm happy with the terra grapplers so far, with over 30k miles on them they still roll quiet and stay in balance (rotation and balance every 5k). Plus the tread wear is pretty impressive for such a heavy vehicle, looks like I'll get at least another 15-20k miles out of them. My old A6 and A4 quattros would chew through tires, I'd have to replace them every 20k miles at least!
2-sets of Trail Grappler's ... and now Ridge Grappler's ... all incredibly quiet given their aggressive tread pattern (way less tha BFG KO's) ... and balance perfectly ... and stay round over the life of the tire. Expensive... but well worth the price ..
Old 05-28-23, 10:25 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Could not agree more. Even my Michelin Defenders after just a static balance had a small vibration. After road force balancing, perfect.
Has been the case with two different sets of wheels/tires on this truck.
Old 05-28-23, 06:20 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Could not agree more. Even my Michelin Defenders after just a static balance had a small vibration. After road force balancing, perfect.
Has been the case with two different sets of wheels/tires on this truck.
Michelin Defenders ... the absolute best tire bar none ... that ... yes ... has a "soccer mom" tread ... but has incredible performance across the range ... but is not 'knarly" looking ... so have these on my GX ... but have (knarly) Nitto's on my FJ ... both great tires ... with the Nitto's as quiet as the Michelin Defenders ... a magic trick given the more aggressive tread pattern.
Old 05-28-23, 07:13 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Michelin Defenders ... the absolute best tire bar none ... that ... yes ... has a "soccer mom" tread ... but has incredible performance across the range ... but is not 'knarly" looking ... so have these on my GX ... but have (knarly) Nitto's on my FJ ... both great tires ... with the Nitto's as quiet as the Michelin Defenders ... a magic trick given the more aggressive tread pattern.
Def soccer mom tires but it’s risky expecting 32” tires to be dead silent and balance perfectly! (nitto apparently, but didn’t want to take the risk… I’m beyondddd neurotic about tire balancing)

Quick Reply: BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2