GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

275/65 18...Which Bolt (Wheel Well) Needs Addressing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19 | 04:51 PM
oksir83
Driver

Got the tires on and there was no rub on my drive home. Only have about 15 miles on them, but I need to head back to Discount Tire as I'm not happy with the balance. 2 of the tires took less than an ounce and two took 5-7oz. They did warn me about it ahead of time and put them in the rear for obvious reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if those tires are bad or just need some additional time spent on them. Other than that I love the tires, but if they can't get the balancing issue resolved I'll trade them in for something else.

Last edited by oksir83; 03-19-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-19 | 07:21 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I’ve read a few posts of people mentioned KO2 are hard to balance. Hope DT can balance them.
Can you turn the wheel and take a pic? I’d like to see how close the tire is to the inner runningbors bolt with 275/65 size
Old 03-20-19 | 11:14 AM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I’ve read a few posts of people mentioned KO2 are hard to balance. Hope DT can balance them.
Can you turn the wheel and take a pic? I’d like to see how close the tire is to the inner runningbors bolt with 275/65 size
DT spent some good time with them today and now they are smooth as silk. I had already removed the bolt, but right now there is a finger or 2 worth of clearance when turning between the tire and liner. I can try to get an exact measurement later today. Also some folks will laugh but I think the E load range tires ride better than stock. At least when it comes to handling

The following users liked this post:
ltsr (03-20-19)
Old 03-20-19 | 11:24 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Thanks! I saw the pics in GXOR group too and I think they look really nice!.
I haven't tried E rated yet but I like to pump my tires up a bit high too so they ride a bit harsher than normal. I think E rate with Comfort setting would be a nice combo for the GX.

Originally Posted by oksir83
DT spent some good time with them today and now they are smooth as silk. I had already removed the bolt, but right now there is a finger or 2 worth of clearance when turning between the tire and liner. I can try to get an exact measurement later today. Also some folks will laugh but I think the E load range tires ride better than stock. At least when it comes to handling

Old 03-20-19 | 03:04 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oksir83
That looks great. You'll have to give us a long term review of those load E. I had them on my 4runner previously and I hated the ride. What psi do you have them set to? I'm thrilled you're happy and no vibration and shimmy. Michelin/BFG replaced my KO2 set under warranty because they kept sending me out of round brand new KO2s. No amount of balancing, road force balancing could get them right.
Old 03-20-19 | 03:47 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by ltsr
That looks great. You'll have to give us a long term review of those load E. I had them on my 4runner previously and I hated the ride. What psi do you have them set to? I'm thrilled you're happy and no vibration and shimmy. Michelin/BFG replaced my KO2 set under warranty because they kept sending me out of round brand new KO2s. No amount of balancing, road force balancing could get them right.
Will do! I am coming from a lowered Jeep SRT with 22" wheels, so the stock p-rated tires felt really soft to me with lots of body roll when cornering. I've had E tires on a few other trucks and SUVs so I knew what I was getting into. Yes, the E tires aren't as smooth on rough roads but I don't find them jarring at all. Running 36psi right now but I need to chalk test them to find the best pressure.
Old 03-20-19 | 04:20 PM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Fits fender nicely...way better than stock. Curious if you’ll see rubbing for some extreme conditions, or at least non flat surface, or adding loads to your GX.
Old 04-11-20 | 07:45 PM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Default Michelin LTX A/T2 275/65/18

I put a set of Michelin LTX AT2 275/65/18 on my 2010 GX460 Premium today.

I was going to go with 17” wheels/tires, but Michelin LTX AT2 in 275/65/18 are extremely easy to find as take-offs since they come standard on higher trim Toyota Tundras and Ford F150s. I was able to get a set of take-offs with only 400 miles on them for $350. While they aren’t as good off-road as the Falken Wild Peaks or Cooper AT3, Michelin ride quality for 50,000 miles for $350 is great!

They rub the usual screw on the running boards, which I’ll fix soon.

Old 05-28-22 | 05:57 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

I’ve got about 14k miles on my K02 in 275/65/18 on the OEM 18” wheels. First 10k I had the level on it front and rear, sat a bit higher than I wanted. Took that off and just added a 1/2 level to the front. Like the look. Also added 1” forged wheel spacers - the better ones that have their own studs and all. Had them installed by a pro while I also swapped out the factory and original shocks / springs with OEM takeoffs from a member’s 2022 blackline GX. They also did an alignment.

When it was done, I got a shimmy at 40-50 mph and it was bad. Took and had the tires balanced again & it still shimmy’s but now at 60-70. I’m about to get rid of these K02s if I can’t get rid of the shimmy. Shame as they are not inexpensive tires. So far, I’m really regretting getting them.

Has anyone had shimmy issues with spacers? They torqued them, checked them after 100 miles and it is still a problem. Just drove 300 miles yesterday and want to take the tires off asap if I can’t fix the shimmy. I like the look but not the result.

With 1” spacers.

Originally Posted by ltsr
Old 05-31-22 | 08:46 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Update: Took the spacers off and it rides and drives like a Lexus again, even with the K02s.