Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

GX or LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 06:06 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GX or LX

For about a year I have been on this site (and everywhere else on the internet) reading everything I can find and watching every video I can find about the GX460. I have also been actively looking for one since May, but unable to find the exact one for the price I want to pay. My goal is to find a very low mileage 2017 GX luxury with Sport Design Package and Driver Support package for $49-50k. Prices have not settled down to that point unless the mileage is higher. I think I should be able to find one by the end of the year that meets those specs and price.

Today, out of nowhere, I started thinking about LXs. I had previously written them off due to the price alone, plus I don't need a huge vehicle. But, then I started to do a little research on prices and am seeing that I can get into a 2015 LX with approx 30k miles for $49-50k. That is just from a quick search on Autotrader. Then I start thinking why not the LX. Yes it is the older body style, but it still looks nice and has all the luxury features that the GX has. In fact the 2017 GX infotainment looks the same as the 2015 LX, and most LXs I've seen come with the rear entertainment system which is important for the kids. Most GXs do not (although I've seen some nice aftermarket mods on this site to fix that).

So, I know the LX is almost out of warranty (concerning when buying a used car without history), and the gas mileage is worse than GX. So, basically if you were in the market for a Lexus SUV and the prices were exactly the same, would you choose the 2015 LX or the 2017 GX?

Btw, its just myself, wife, and two girls 5 and 9....and a dog. We take road trips, go camping some, not any serious off-roading. It will be my daily driver and I work from home, so I won't put a ton of miles on it anyway.

So, in short, am I crazy for getting this idea or should I look into it further? Or, should I just hang in there and wait for the perfect GX to materialize soon? Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated...btw, I realize this is the GX forum, so I expect most to stay GX....but still curious.
Old 09-05-18, 06:14 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get a new 18 GX premium for about 45-47k ...
Old 09-05-18, 07:06 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
You can get a new 18 GX premium for about 45-47k ...
Yes, but I really want the driver support package with the luxury model. I know I could be in one now, but I usually keep my cars a long time, so I don't want to settle for less than exactly what I want.
Old 09-05-18, 09:17 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I would buy the LX. It's in a different class. However,the '15 LX will mot have Rear cross monitoring system, no enform remote starter (double check),
The following users liked this post:
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 06:00 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

15 LX doesn’t even have what a premium GX has in terms of safety.

Luxury GX with DA pkg will only cost another 4K tops. You’d still be under 50k for a new GX.

On the the other hand, wait for a nice program on the new LX.. few months ago they had 15k Lexus cash (I missed it)... with that you can almost get 25k off the msrp which leaves you in the low 60s for a new one.
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 08:21 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I would buy the LX. It's in a different class. However,the '15 LX will mot have Rear cross monitoring system, no enform remote starter (double check),
RCTA is one of those features that I never realized I needed until I had it... now I don't know if I'll buy another vehicle without it.
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 11:45 AM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had it to do over, I’d get a Land Cruiser or LX over my GX.
But, my GX has low miles and it’s paid for!!
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 01:07 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

If I had to spend $50k and those were my two choices, I think I'd go for the LX.

At the time I spent ~$30k and the only LXs and cruisers in the price range were much older and with many more miles.

New, I would go for a stripper LX 2-row over a maxed out GX.

And as a bonus... the LX guys tend to be more comfortable running regular fuel than the GX guys. Will save you a bundle right there to make up for the worse fuel economy.
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 01:16 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
If I had to spend $50k and those were my two choices, I think I'd go for the LX.

At the time I spent ~$30k and the only LXs and cruisers in the price range were much older and with many more miles.

New, I would go for a stripper LX 2-row over a maxed out GX.

And as a bonus... the LX guys tend to be more comfortable running regular fuel than the GX guys. Will save you a bundle right there to make up for the worse fuel economy.
Ha. Nice one. I'll probably run regular in whichever one I get anyway
Old 09-06-18, 01:35 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
Ha. Nice one. I'll probably run regular in whichever one I get anyway
do you mind sharing your budget?

I was in the same predicament not too long ago. I really wanted an LX but it was out of my price range ($40k), unless I went with used and high miles. But just as JDMUSCLE stated, the deals for brand new GXs are hard to pass on. I'm one of the few people who got their brand new GX for a great deal. Lexus cash offers $5K off a new LX if that appeals to you in anyway.
Old 09-06-18, 01:47 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by ltsr
do you mind sharing your budget?

I was in the same predicament not too long ago. I really wanted an LX but it was out of my price range ($40k), unless I went with used and high miles. But just as JDMUSCLE stated, the deals for brand new GXs are hard to pass on. I'm one of the few people who got their brand new GX for a great deal. Lexus cash offers $5K off a new LX if that appeals to you in anyway.
Sure. $50k absolute max. I'd like to stay under that as much as possible. If I could get the 2016 LX or newer for that price the decision would likely be easier to make because of the refresh. Unfortunately $50k won't even get close to a '16 LX. So, I'm looking at 2015 LX vs 2017 GX luxury. If I go with GX, I definitely want the luxury package, sport package, and driver support which is why the price of the GX is creeping up to $50k for a '17. I know I can get a new GX under $50k, but not with the packages I really want.
Old 09-06-18, 01:50 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
Sure. $50k absolute max. I'd like to stay under that as much as possible. If I could get the 2016 LX or newer for that price the decision would likely be easier to make because of the refresh. Unfortunately $50k won't even get close to a '16 LX. So, I'm looking at 2015 LX vs 2017 GX luxury. If I go with GX, I definitely want the luxury package, sport package, and driver support which is why the price of the GX is creeping up to $50k for a '17. I know I can get a new GX under $50k, but not with the packages I really want.
That was me in the few last months. Exact same budget. Dead set on getting a luxury with the same features. My thought was if i'm dropping that kind of coin, I want exactly what i'm looking for. I held out for about 2 months and "settled" (I know..) for premium package, but brand new. The used luxury GXs I test drove were still $40k+ with under 50k miles. I hope your hand won't be forced like I was, but i'm extremely happy with my premium package GX. The toyota/lexus tax for used vehicles makes it hard to find what we are looking for. Good luck
MagnumP45 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 02:07 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by ltsr
That was me in the few last months. Exact same budget. Dead set on getting a luxury with the same features. My thought was if i'm dropping that kind of coin, I want exactly what i'm looking for. I held out for about 2 months and "settled" (I know..) for premium package, but brand new. The used luxury GXs I test drove were still $40k+ with under 50k miles. I hope your hand won't be forced like I was, but i'm extremely happy with my premium package GX. The toyota/lexus tax for used vehicles makes it hard to find what we are looking for. Good luck
Thanks for your input. I do feel the same way. If I'm spending that much I want to get exactly what I want. I've been seriously looking since the beginning of the year, so I am getting very tired of waiting. I'm watching the prices of the 2017 GXs fall very slowly, so I hope to find one that meets my requirements by the end of the year. I just thought that maybe the 2015 LX might be the answer instead....still not sure though.