GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GromAudio VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20 | 05:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
I'm ready to be your guinea pig and can install myself easily per your instructions (brought apart the dash multiple times on my 2018 premium navi). PM me if you'll let an Atlanta guy test it out.
Yeah but BETA testing this. Any complaints or conflicts might require access to the GX. Hopefully they can get past this stage.

Looking forward to results.
Old 04-19-20 | 01:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I assume this is similar or is a GROM

https://www.drive2.ru/o/b/516410101192458548/

Old 06-19-20 | 06:36 AM
vesder21
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you!

Yes, if you are in SF Bay Area - please sign up!

Any updates on this? I have a 2019 and have been waiting for the new version!

Old 06-19-20 | 07:46 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by vesder21
View this post on Instagram

But they haven’t officially released it for the 14+ GX yet
The following users liked this post:
vesder21 (06-23-20)
Old 06-19-20 | 08:27 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by vesder21
We will be announcing the pre-order in 1-2 weeks, please make sure you sign up for our notifications at https://bit.ly/vline_interest

Thank you for your interest in GROM VLine!
Old 06-19-20 | 07:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We will be announcing the pre-order in 1-2 weeks, please make sure you sign up for our notifications at https://bit.ly/vline_interest

Thank you for your interest in GROM VLine!
@gromaudio Looking forward to that. Question for ya are these going to be available across the MYs and Different headunits. I got a buddy whose picking up a base without navigation and didnt know if his headunit is also compatible.
Old 06-30-20 | 07:52 PM
ddarrell2
4th Gear

Default Any Success with 2010-2013 GX460?

I feel like I keep reading from years ago with people looking to buy or waiting on shipping, but then it drops off. So now in 2020 I’m really interested if in anything being proven successful in a 2011 (or pre 2014) GX460? Thanks!
Old 06-30-20 | 08:32 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

I posted this at the beginning of the year over on the GXOR facebook group:

GROM Vline 2 Review - 2011 GX460
--
Here are some thoughts / observations:
- Install is basically plug and play (with the caveat that you have to pull out the Nav unit to get access to its wiring + pop out any number of dash / center console panels. All that is very doable from following Youtube videos and looking at Factory Service Manuals.
- The Vline uses your AUX input, so you lose the use of your stereo functions when you have the Vline in use. Basically, that means that you can’t have both the Vline and the stereo or CD player at the same time. Not a dealbreaker, but good to know.
- The included Dashlinq interface is pretty much crap. It looks like crap and responds like crap. The latter isn’t Dashlinq’s fault, but rather our touchscreen. Because you are running an Android computer behind your display, it expects you to be able to control it with Android gestures that just aren’t possible with our screens.
The net of this is that set up of apps, email, calendar, ie, pretty much everything is a lot easier with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse plugged in.
- Fortunately, there are better interfaces out there that you can install over Dashlinq. I’ve been playing with both CarWebGuru and Car Launcher AGAMA. The former is pretty easy to set up and looks good, while the latter looks even better but is more complicated to set up / customize (and needs swipe capability).
- Even with other interfaces, some apps are not super easy to use. Scrolling is the issue. Spotify is probably the best example. Viewing playlists, finding artists, none of this is a lot of fun, if even possible.
- Bluetooth OBD readers are not 100% compatible with this. I’ve been through every single device recommended by GXOR members and the only one I’ve found to work is the Panlong variant
I've yet to purchase VLine's own OBD reader.
- As reported by others, random crashes of the unit will occur. Most frequently, this happens after use of the back-up camera while in Reverse. Engine shutdown is required to re-start, so this isn’t great.
- As for the quality of the unit itself, about a week after install, the unit died on me. I spent far too long (5 days) going back and forth with GROM tech support via email before they agreed to ship me a new unit. Communication with GROM was rather poor (given, some of this was over New Years), and the expectation that they set with the replacement unit shipping was not met. “The new unit will be shipped out today” actually meant that it would be shipped 3 days later, and slowly, at that, with me paying shipping to return the dead unit.
In summary, I love the idea, I find the execution somewhat acceptable, the Tech Support is lacking, and I’ll be keeping the product because nothing else out there is any better.

Addendum: Android Auto does seem to work really well. However, I was hoping for a solid "standalone" option that didn't require me to plug in my phone.
coolsaber (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20 | 09:43 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Sounds like a hard Pass right now, until someone can come up with a solid all new double din head unit. I replaced an old Becker stereo in my 2002 Porsche with a Kenwood 100% everything including GPS and cameras for about $600, all plug and play without a glitch. You would think there would be enough potential sales to justify? By my rough math 316k GX's have been sold since 2005 and only 144k 911's, but you can purchase almost anything electronic you can imagine for the 911.
I know this is apples and oranges, I guess all us old GX fuddy duddies aren't seen as potential customers.

Last edited by shmelvin1; 07-01-20 at 11:51 AM.
coolsaber (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20 | 08:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NothingNew
I posted this at the beginning of the year over on the GXOR facebook group:

GROM Vline 2 Review - 2011 GX460
--
Here are some thoughts / observations:
- Install is basically plug and play (with the caveat that you have to pull out the Nav unit to get access to its wiring + pop out any number of dash / center console panels. All that is very doable from following Youtube videos and looking at Factory Service Manuals.
- The Vline uses your AUX input, so you lose the use of your stereo functions when you have the Vline in use. Basically, that means that you can’t have both the Vline and the stereo or CD player at the same time. Not a dealbreaker, but good to know.
- The included Dashlinq interface is pretty much crap. It looks like crap and responds like crap. The latter isn’t Dashlinq’s fault, but rather our touchscreen. Because you are running an Android computer behind your display, it expects you to be able to control it with Android gestures that just aren’t possible with our screens.
The net of this is that set up of apps, email, calendar, ie, pretty much everything is a lot easier with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse plugged in.
- Fortunately, there are better interfaces out there that you can install over Dashlinq. I’ve been playing with both CarWebGuru and Car Launcher AGAMA. The former is pretty easy to set up and looks good, while the latter looks even better but is more complicated to set up / customize (and needs swipe capability).
- Even with other interfaces, some apps are not super easy to use. Scrolling is the issue. Spotify is probably the best example. Viewing playlists, finding artists, none of this is a lot of fun, if even possible.
- Bluetooth OBD readers are not 100% compatible with this. I’ve been through every single device recommended by GXOR members and the only one I’ve found to work is the Panlong variant
I've yet to purchase VLine's own OBD reader.
- As reported by others, random crashes of the unit will occur. Most frequently, this happens after use of the back-up camera while in Reverse. Engine shutdown is required to re-start, so this isn’t great.
- As for the quality of the unit itself, about a week after install, the unit died on me. I spent far too long (5 days) going back and forth with GROM tech support via email before they agreed to ship me a new unit. Communication with GROM was rather poor (given, some of this was over New Years), and the expectation that they set with the replacement unit shipping was not met. “The new unit will be shipped out today” actually meant that it would be shipped 3 days later, and slowly, at that, with me paying shipping to return the dead unit.
In summary, I love the idea, I find the execution somewhat acceptable, the Tech Support is lacking, and I’ll be keeping the product because nothing else out there is any better.

Addendum: Android Auto does seem to work really well. However, I was hoping for a solid "standalone" option that didn't require me to plug in my phone.
Thanks for the early review. So question for ya. since this unit seems to be essentially a android passthrough box,

1) what happens when you need to troubleshoot the box or if you need to update firmware
2) what version of android is this thing running since its facing your device and permissions are iffy on select pre-android 10 software?
3) Were there any voice/bt call audio issues?
4) Do you need to setup up the android box with a local account like you would with any android tablet or smartphone?
Old 08-27-20 | 02:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

hzhao (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 05:30 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad
A few things I noticed compared to the LSAILT version.
  • The UI seems more refined/polished on the Grom.
  • Touchscreen taps sometimes don’t register
  • As @hzhao Pointed out. The bottom portion of the screen alignment shows on the top of the screen in some apps.
  • I didn’t notice the Grom unit cutting off a second or two of the google maps voice commands. I might have missed it but Google maps might be running on the android side in the video and not from carplay/phone. On the stock GX and the LSAILT unit, if I play the maps voice command over the system, I get a couple seconds cut off. Instead of hearing “in 500 feet, turn right on main st”. I hear “ ..eet, turn right on main st.”
Old 08-27-20 | 05:48 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad
Most of those Android based products are essentially the same, uses same API to develop their own interface. Judging from the video, the touch screen experiences are very similar with Lsailt products. There are few misses in terms of responses. Without actually experienced Grom Audio module, just from the paper and my limited experiences with Lsailt products, I do like the Lsailt a little better for the following reasons:

1. The GUI on Lsailt is a more Lexus “like”, with blue background that made better visual appearance and transition between OEM function and Android functions.
2. The Lsailt module size is much smaller and thinner compare to Grom. One thing that I have noticed Lsailt seems the only one that do not put actual USB ports, and Wi-Fi screw on antenna on the box itself, which made it small in physical size and easier for placement. Which is particularly benefit when I try to find a place to put the module in LX where there is very tight in spaces.
3. The Lsailt uses same module with configurable dip switches for various modules (plus harnesses). That made it easier should you decided to move between cars.

Here are few screen shots of Lsailt from my 2014 GX and 2016 LX as an comparison:

Just my two cents for sharing.
MrTorgue (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 06:34 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by hzhao
Most of those Android based products are essentially the same, uses same API to develop their own interface. Judging from the video, the touch screen experiences are very similar with Lsailt products. There are few misses in terms of responses. Without actually experienced Grom Audio module, just from the paper and my limited experiences with Lsailt products, I do like the Lsailt a little better for the following reasons:

1. The GUI on Lsailt is a more Lexus “like”, with blue background that made better visual appearance and transition between OEM function and Android functions.
2. The Lsailt module size is much smaller and thinner compare to Grom. One thing that I have noticed Lsailt seems the only one that do not put actual USB ports, and Wi-Fi screw on antenna on the box itself, which made it small in physical size and easier for placement. Which is particularly benefit when I try to find a place to put the module in LX where there is very tight in spaces.
3. The Lsailt uses same module with configurable dip switches for various modules (plus harnesses). That made it easier should you decided to move between cars.

Here are few screen shots of Lsailt from my 2014 GX and 2016 LX as an comparison:

Just my two cents for sharing.
Wheres a good place to get one of those at a discount? I’m narrowing down my options to one of these plug in units instead of the 15” screen. I’m not a fan of the 10.4” screen I put in my wife’s 470 anymore.

*edit*
Also dunno if it matters but my 460 is a 2010 year model.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 08-27-20 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-27-20 | 06:52 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Wheres a good place to get one of those at a discount? I’m narrowing down my options to one of these plug in units instead of the 15” screen. I’m not a fan of the 10.4” screen I put in my wife’s 470 anymore.
Just contact Lsailt directly from their website. They are offering fairly decent price and great services with fast shipping. There are few members from here had purchased from them.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
MrTorgue (08-27-20), ObsidianBl (08-27-20)

Quick Reply: GromAudio VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade