GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GromAudio VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 08:46 AM
gx460slc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing on stock screens

2016 GX460 here, mine works fine on the Vline screen and the backup camera, but not on stock climate control, nav, or audio.

Originally Posted by 2_xplicite
I had the same thing happened to me a couple months ago. The blue display cable that came with the unit was bad and nothing appeared on the screen. So I contacted them about the problem and they were able to ship a new one out at no cost. After installing the new cable, the monitor was able to display the interface from the unit but got very finicky after a while. It started to flash every 5 minutes and the volume keeps on lowering by itself when listening to music. It became very dangerous driving at night when the monitor flashes like a strobe light so I decided to revert it back to stock. At times, I was unable to go back to the OEM interface to control the climate menu. I've contacted them again a couple days ago about the bugs I've been experiencing and they acknowledged that the cable they received was a bad batch and will send another one out this week.
I'm curious what ended up happening with this, or any other cases people have encountered the flickering and flashing on stock screens. Was it the main Vline unit that was bad? Was it a cable? At this point, GROM has sent me a replacement cable, which had the same issue as the original cable. Then they offered to "replace" the main unit, which turns out to be an offer for me to completely pull out everything (including the GPS receiver which took quite a while to install), and then send the defective unit to them (at my expense), wait for it to get there and then wait for a new unit to come back. What a headache: lost money, time, and use of the car in this process.

It seems like it wouldn't be hard for them to be a little more reasonable, and I'm considering aborting the whole project. I would definitely appreciate anyone else's experiences where they had this issue, especially if you successfully fixed it.
Old 03-16-21, 05:11 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering if you forgot to mention the fact that GROM typically asks for a credit card hold on the replacement unit's cost until they receive the bad unit. That and paying for the shipping (on both the dead unit and the replacement) left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Some people love them, but my own opinion (having owned a Vline for 2 years now) is that their product is inherently buggy, their development team consistently introduces new bugs with new updates, and their support prefers to place the burden on the customer.

That said, unfortunately, there is nothing better on the market. I'll repeat the most apt line I've read about their product:

"I wouldn't put in it my mom's car."
The following 2 users liked this post by NothingNew:
gx460slc (03-17-21), zgadson1 (11-12-21)
Old 03-20-21, 09:42 AM
vesder21
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

just installed into my 2019 GX460 per last month's group buy and this thing sucks. It freezes after a few seconds and I cannot figure it out. each time I have to pull the main cable to get the unit to reboot. since there is no phone number to call I emailed and now have to wait for support. my car is all torn up so I either have to put back together or keep it like this. if I put it back together I will not be keeping the unit.

The following users liked this post:
skeegs (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 03:01 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I would try to update to the latest firmware and grom software.
Old 03-20-21, 05:18 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Getting worried that the grom unit I bought on the last group buy late-2020 will be bad after reading this topic. I haven’t installed it yet (no time) so I’m tempted to sell it since it is unopened and unused rather than going through this possible headache especially after hearing about their “warranty” replacement process. It’s so annoying that all I literally want is carplay. The Phoenix “tesla” screen in my 470 is a piece of junk too and is a waste of $$$.

*update May 2021*
Installed and only have small issues.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 05-11-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 05:40 PM
vesder21
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I would try to update to the latest firmware and grom software.
I just checked via the on screen update and it says that my firmware is up-to-date. It did push a new version of the grom software, but the screen still locks up after a minute or so. The strange thing is you can tell it’s still working because if I am using a map via Apple car play the maps still tracks, but just the screen gets disabled and you cannot tap on anything until you reboot.

also does the Vline never power off? I went shopping at Costco for about an hour and when I got back j to my car the unit was still in a frozen state until I unplugged and replug the code back in.

Last edited by vesder21; 03-20-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 12:40 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

We saw few modules went out with the wrong firmware.
Please go ahead and downgrade to the previous firmware (LEX7TK). The OTA to fix some other issues is coming later this week.
https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html
Old 03-23-21, 05:49 PM
vesder21
Rookie

yes @gromaudio the downgrade worked, but now my other issues is that I "think" it's draining my battery!!!

the car is new and has never had electrical issues, but after installing on Saturday (so 3.5 days later) our GX's battery was nearly dead and needed a jump.

does the Vline2 ever power down? my unit does not because when it freezes it stays that way until I unplug and reset.

what could be causing the battery drain?
Old 05-11-21, 07:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Old 05-11-21, 04:11 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

@gromaudio

I submitted a message on your website but have had no reply. Can you look in to it? It’ll be from James and about the navigation audio level. Thank you.
Old 05-11-21, 05:50 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Now the AUX option is staying grayed out and not available to select randomly. Anyone had this issue before?
Old 08-04-21, 06:21 PM
TdotSNVA
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Do you have to restart the car or can you restart the VLINE? I found on another forum that you can restart it by holding the Next Track button and tapping and holding on the touch screen for it to reboot into recovery and from there you can reboot the unit. Also if it's happens that frequently, i'm thinking maybe adding a on/off switch to the power line and having the switch in that little cubby by the shifter where the stock USB & 3.5mm plugs are?

:/
Did you ever end up adding the switch to the power line??
Old 08-05-21, 09:21 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TdotSNVA
Did you ever end up adding the switch to the power line??
You can now tap on Support icon on VLine UI --> VLine updates -> Restart to restart the VLine.
Old 08-06-21, 08:41 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vesder21
yes @gromaudio the downgrade worked, but now my other issues is that I "think" it's draining my battery!!!

the car is new and has never had electrical issues, but after installing on Saturday (so 3.5 days later) our GX's battery was nearly dead and needed a jump.

does the Vline2 ever power down? my unit does not because when it freezes it stays that way until I unplug and reset.

what could be causing the battery drain?

I had a similar issue eith draining of battary. I pulled the latest update last week and seems to have fixed this power draw.

It would be cool if a button sequence (hold audio button, or Up down on steering wheel like Beataudio would allow for a restart of Grom vline)

it works for me about 95% of time the other 5% are similar to what is described where AUX is grayed out or system freezes.

I also noticed thay when using the other launcher (carlauncher) as the main home screen i would get more issues so i switched back to Grom's default launcher.