Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts
Lightbulb GromAudio VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade

bbqsoup install

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex6_.html

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex8t_.html

Installation Instructions for Gen 6

Looks like either models without Park Assist or would have to give up function.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vline_user_manual_web.pdf (710.0 KB, 270 views)
File Type: pdf
vline_gen6_install_web.pdf (263.7 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by Acrad; 05-30-23 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 03:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Support claims Park Assist doesn't matter.
Old 09-22-18, 10:57 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

will this work with the 2016?
Old 09-22-18, 02:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I don't know for sure but it seems support cutoff on these are around 2013 models right now. You may want to send them an email though. Interest will help show a market for development.
Old 11-12-18, 06:26 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The '15 install in the following thread didn't work.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ay-module.html

GROM support still says '10-'12... this should include '13 as well.... but they say '14+ is not supported at this time.

I was looking at installation instructions and it appears you give up the USB input for this install.

Old 11-12-18, 10:27 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Like "jojotheduc" said in other thread...their support claims:

"We are working with Apple to have our devices certified for Apple CarPlay."
Old 02-28-19, 03:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

More activity on the GROM VLINE here to follow... some discussion at end of thread about GROM charging for 5.x to 8.x upgrades.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-vline.html
Old 02-17-20, 01:22 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

So what's the final consensus on this? Highly considering picking one up. I saw one video on YouTube where the reverse camera does auto display when car is put in reverse but what about front and mirror cameras? I rely on those cameras almost daily while visiting job sites. I do see there's an add AV Cable for Backup and Front Facing Camera VAUX, but it's product page says it's for aftermarket cameras, no mention of stock front & side mirror camera integration.

I'm gonna send an email to GROM probably this evening because I've got a few other questions as well.
Old 02-17-20, 01:39 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one and will leave it in place. My current opinion is that it's wonky / finicky as all hell, but the best solution out there.

Regarding the front camera, here's what I got from GROM support:

For dashcam application you need to use USB DVR camera and install appropriate app.
It can run in background in that case. AV camera is not the same input as regular camera in Android. AV camera is made to help running front/back/side maneuvers either automatically upon camera trigger or manually.

On my GX, I've installed a front mounted camera and it works okay, but wonky.

Here's what I posted on the unit over at GXOR Facebook group:

GROM Vline 2 Review - 2011 GX460

Here are some thoughts / observations:

- Install is basically plug and play (with the caveat that you have to pull out the Nav unit to get access to its wiring + pop out any number of dash / center console panels. All that is very doable from following Youtube videos and looking at Factory Service Manuals.

- The Vline uses your AUX input, so you lose the use of your stereo functions when you have the Vline in use. Basically, that means that you can’t have both the Vline and the stereo or CD player at the same time. Not a dealbreaker, but good to know.

- The included Dashlinq interface is pretty much crap. It looks like crap and responds like crap. The latter isn’t Dashlinq’s fault, but rather our touchscreen. Because you are running an Android computer behind your display, it expects you to be able to control it with Android gestures that just aren’t possible with our screens.

The net of this is that set up of apps, email, calendar, ie, pretty much everything is a lot easier with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse plugged in.

- Fortunately, there are better interfaces out there that you can install over Dashlinq. I’ve been playing with both CarWebGuru and Car Launcher AGAMA. The former is pretty easy to set up and looks good, while the latter looks even better but is more complicated to set up / customize (and needs swipe capability).

- Even with other interfaces, some apps are not super easy to use. Scrolling is the issue. Spotify is probably the best example. Viewing playlists, finding artists, none of this is a lot of fun, if even possible.

- Bluetooth OBD readers are not 100% compatible with this. I’ve been through every single device recommended by GXOR members and the only one I’ve found to work is the Panlong variant

I've yet to purchase VLine's own OBD reader.

- As reported by others, random crashes of the unit will occur. Most frequently, this happens after use of the back-up camera while in Reverse. Engine shutdown is required to re-start, so this isn’t great.

- As for the quality of the unit itself, about a week after install, the unit died on me. I spent far too long (5 days) going back and forth with GROM tech support via email before they agreed to ship me a new unit. Communication with GROM was rather poor (given, some of this was over New Years), and the expectation that they set with the replacement unit shipping was not met. “The new unit will be shipped out today” actually meant that it would be shipped 3 days later, and slowly, at that, with me paying shipping to return the dead unit.

In summary, I love the idea, I find the execution somewhat acceptable, the Tech Support is lacking, and I’ll be keeping the product because nothing else out there is any better.
The following users liked this post:
Ramacher (02-17-20)
Old 02-19-20, 10:25 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NothingNew
I have one and will leave it in place. My current opinion is that it's wonky / finicky as all hell, but the best solution out there.

Regarding the front camera, here's what I got from GROM support:

For dashcam application you need to use USB DVR camera and install appropriate app.
It can run in background in that case. AV camera is not the same input as regular camera in Android. AV camera is made to help running front/back/side maneuvers either automatically upon camera trigger or manually.

On my GX, I've installed a front mounted camera and it works okay, but wonky.
But what about Stock Front and Side cameras?

Here's what I posted on the unit over at GXOR Facebook group:

GROM Vline 2 Review - 2011 GX460

Here are some thoughts / observations:

- Install is basically plug and play (with the caveat that you have to pull out the Nav unit to get access to its wiring + pop out any number of dash / center console panels. All that is very doable from following Youtube videos and looking at Factory Service Manuals.

- The Vline uses your AUX input, so you lose the use of your stereo functions when you have the Vline in use. Basically, that means that you can’t have both the Vline and the stereo or CD player at the same time. Not a dealbreaker, but good to know.
Does it have an FM radio app/antenna?

- The included Dashlinq interface is pretty much crap. It looks like crap and responds like crap. The latter isn’t Dashlinq’s fault, but rather our touchscreen. Because you are running an Android computer behind your display, it expects you to be able to control it with Android gestures that just aren’t possible with our screens.

The net of this is that set up of apps, email, calendar, ie, pretty much everything is a lot easier with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse plugged in.

- Fortunately, there are better interfaces out there that you can install over Dashlinq. I’ve been playing with both CarWebGuru and Car Launcher AGAMA. The former is pretty easy to set up and looks good, while the latter looks even better but is more complicated to set up / customize (and needs swipe capability).
I'm very familiar with android and there are quite a few "launchers" out there designed for headunits. Can't remember which one I preferred for an android headunit i've had in another car.

- Even with other interfaces, some apps are not super easy to use. Scrolling is the issue. Spotify is probably the best example. Viewing playlists, finding artists, none of this is a lot of fun, if even possible.
Yeah, I've had a chinese android headunit in a car before and have experienced this.

- Bluetooth OBD readers are not 100% compatible with this. I’ve been through every single device recommended by GXOR members and the only one I’ve found to work is the Panlong variant
Hmm... Is this due to the unit's BT stack? I have the OBD Link MX+ and that would suck if it didn't work.

- As reported by others, random crashes of the unit will occur. Most frequently, this happens after use of the back-up camera while in Reverse. Engine shutdown is required to re-start, so this isn’t great.
Do you have to restart the car or can you restart the VLINE? I found on another forum that you can restart it by holding the Next Track button and tapping and holding on the touch screen for it to reboot into recovery and from there you can reboot the unit. Also if it's happens that frequently, i'm thinking maybe adding a on/off switch to the power line and having the switch in that little cubby by the shifter where the stock USB & 3.5mm plugs are?
- As for the quality of the unit itself, about a week after install, the unit died on me. I spent far too long (5 days) going back and forth with GROM tech support via email before they agreed to ship me a new unit. Communication with GROM was rather poor (given, some of this was over New Years), and the expectation that they set with the replacement unit shipping was not met. “The new unit will be shipped out today” actually meant that it would be shipped 3 days later, and slowly, at that, with me paying shipping to return the dead unit.

In summary, I love the idea, I find the execution somewhat acceptable, the Tech Support is lacking, and I’ll be keeping the product because nothing else out there is any better.
Funny you say that because some posters on other forums say support is responsive and others say they've been left in the dark...

Tough decision. As you said earlier it seems to be the best option available but it's got it's quirks and it's not cheap :/
Old 02-20-20, 08:32 AM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ramacher -

But what about Stock Front and Side cameras?

Stock everything (cameras, stereo, HVAC) works exactly as stock and is accessed through the stock buttons, screens, etc. . . GROM uses the AUX input, so has no effects on anything else, except that you can’t use any of the other stereo features at the same time. (GROM ties up the stereo while in use.)
Does it have an FM radio app/antenna?No, and that sucks because it would have been so easy for GROM to have added it.
I managed to make it work through add-ons, but ended up removing it. Here's what I did (from GXOR Facebook post):

FM radio (over the air) while using GROM Vline

So, I can’t say that it’s pretty, but I have a solution. Software-Defined Radio (SDR) can make it happen via a USB dongle.

Here’s what it looks like onscreen:

The SDR I’m using is:

https://www.amazon.com/…/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00… https://www.amazon.com/…/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00…

It requires two pieces of software:

An App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

And Drivers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Install is super straightforward.

Cons are:

-Sound is tinny. There’s no EQ

-I haven’t spent the time to dial in the antenna, so reception is not as good as factory radio
Hmm... Is this due to the unit's BT stack? I have the OBD Link MX+ and that would suck if it didn't work.

No idea, but I couldn’t get any of the OBD Link devices to work (and I tried them all).
Do you have to restart the car or can you restart the VLINE? I found on another forum that you can restart it by holding the Next Track button and tapping and holding on the touch screen for it to reboot into recovery and from there you can reboot the unit. Also if it's happens that frequently, i'm thinking maybe adding a on/off switch to the power line and having the switch in that little cubby by the shifter where the stock USB & 3.5mm plugs are?

I haven’t tried the recovery reboot, but that would 1) require two hands and 2) take a while, as the cycle time is long in that process. Separate power switch would be interesting.

Old 02-24-20, 03:48 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

For FM radio you can use WebRadio plugin on VLine (needs internet), or TuneIn app on VLine, or CarPlay through VLien, or Android Auto and VLine. They all have the access to the local FM stations as well as many other internet radio stations.
Old 03-13-20, 06:12 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Grom vline beta invitation for bay area members

Received this notification for Grom about Android auto and carplay solution for GX460.. awesome news and awesome deal for bay area members.. wish I was there.

https://gromaudio.com/vline/beta/lex...-350-beta.html
Old 03-16-20, 03:19 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Received this notification for Grom about Android auto and carplay solution for GX460.. awesome news and awesome deal for bay area members.. wish I was there.

https://gromaudio.com/vline/beta/lex...-350-beta.html
Thank you!

Yes, if you are in SF Bay Area - please sign up!
Old 03-16-20, 04:28 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you!

Yes, if you are in SF Bay Area - please sign up!
I'm ready to be your guinea pig and can install myself easily per your instructions (brought apart the dash multiple times on my 2018 premium navi). PM me if you'll let an Atlanta guy test it out.

Quick Reply: GromAudio VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade