GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Winter tire or snow chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 10:24 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Cable probably is more applicable to what OP needs. I've just seen too many cable chains come apart for people and saw it myself on my Explorer years ago. Some could be attributed to improper install but mine were on securely when they began to come apart. Also off-road in snow... the chains have more bite and stand up well in the deep snow. I've had to pull a trailer up a hill in snow and ice and just looking for all the traction I could get.

One of my nephews does some crazy snow driving in the mountains in winter... when they get into some really deep snow they hook their three Toyotas pickups together bumper-to-bumper and force their way through it. My nephew does some extreme off-roading though and their vehicles show the battle wounds... one might mistake them for a part of a crash up derby.

I was talking to this nephew at a family gathering this last summer and he was talking about doing a new build with a 4R...I opened him up to considering a GX 470 as that hadn't crossed his mind. He will definitely want to replace the the 8" diff...I don't imagine a stock one will last long with his abuse.
Glad I asked! Thanks for the feedback...I don't have chains or cables yet for the gx, but looks like I'll be going with chains.
Old 09-19-18, 06:51 PM
CanadaGX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
I'd look into RUD chains. They are easier to install and have a better pattern for traction than ladder style chains. http://web.rud.com/en-us/products/snow-chains/llkw.html.
Living in Canada and doing some hunting and ice fishing in remote locations, I have a decent amount of experience with tire chains. The budget chains will blow apart with even light use, catastrophic results to your truck. I have had RUD chains for 15 or so years. They work great. Very well build and easy to instal. This is what I have. I have for all 4 tires, but only ever needed on the back to keep myself moving. https://www.rud.com/en/products/tyre...classic-v.html
The following 3 users liked this post by CanadaGX:
Acrad (09-19-18), KJ6IRM (10-02-18), Nickk6 (09-20-18)
Old 09-26-18, 07:16 AM
CanadaGX
Driver

Default Opinions on dedicated winter tires.

I live in central Canada where it’s below freezing for at least 6 months a year. I have got by with “all weather” tires in the past on my Runner and Sequoia, but think I’m going to dive into buying dedicated winter tires for my GX. Plus it’s a good excuse to buy another set of aftermarket rims!

I want something that will preform excellent on ice, but have a decently aggressive tread pattern for driving in deeper snow (I use my truck for late fall hunting and winter ice fishing.) thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-18, 10:46 AM
BryanD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ran a few different sets in the past 10 years or so, Michy XIce, Dunlops, BFG and IMHO, Nokian makes the best snow tires out there (and all weather tire).

Hakkapaleta (sorry for the spelling) are an awesome choice in either studded or non studded.
The Nokian Rottiva are also an awesome tire for anyone looking for an all weather tire that actually has snow/ice capability.

Depending where in MB you are I also always pay a bit extra to buy tires from Kal Tire as there free flat repair service and roadside assistance is worth the extra 100/150 bucks on a set of tires.

Have fun, get any limited/noteworthy draws?
Old 09-27-18, 07:59 PM
CanadaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by BryanD
I've ran a few different sets in the past 10 years or so, Michy XIce, Dunlops, BFG and IMHO, Nokian makes the best snow tires out there (and all weather tire).

Hakkapaleta (sorry for the spelling) are an awesome choice in either studded or non studded.
The Nokian Rottiva are also an awesome tire for anyone looking for an all weather tire that actually has snow/ice capability.

Depending where in MB you are I also always pay a bit extra to buy tires from Kal Tire as there free flat repair service and roadside assistance is worth the extra 100/150 bucks on a set of tires.

Have fun, get any limited/noteworthy draws?

Thats interesting. I have only heard bad stories from Kal tire, so I have steered clear of them.

No hunting draws this year. Put in for Elk, but seem to only get drawn every 7-10 years.
Old 09-28-18, 03:33 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of the Nokian Hakkas. I have used them on my Rav4s and other cars.
I also like the fact that when the winter tires are on dedicated rims, I can switch them myself when it's convenient for me.
Kal Tires are independent franchises I think so like any franchise, it depends on the manager.
We have an excellent one in my city.

My second choice would be to get a good set of tires and rims from Costco, usually can't beat the price or service, but it can be incredibly busy to try and get an appointment.
Old 09-28-18, 03:41 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree

I have a set of the Hhakapelitta? R2s that I used on my SC during winter. They were awesome and dramatically changed how well the car handles on snow and ice. I highly recommend them.
Funny thing is that I still have them even though I recently sold my SC lol.
I wrote a review about them on this forum a few years back. It’s probably still findable via search.
Old 09-30-18, 09:33 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for Nokians. I've run them on 3 different cars now and will do so this winter on the GX
Old 10-02-18, 12:29 AM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone tried these chain? Most reviewers are very happy with it. Any chance the cable or tensioner may rub the rim? Also, should I put it on 2 or 4 wheels?

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-02-18, 02:30 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

It would probably be better to run chains on all 4 since we have AWD, but you need to check the owners manual to see what Lexus recommends.
Old 10-02-18, 02:40 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
It would probably be better to run chains on all 4 since we have AWD, but you need to check the owners manual to see what Lexus recommends.
Actually, the dealer said not to use any snow chain or cable with GX460. My assumption is that they don't want to be liable for possible damages. But you are right, it is better to run on all 4.
Old 10-03-18, 08:48 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Factory manual calls for chains to be installed on the rears only. That being said, if you have enough clearance you could run chains on all 4. But for the purposes of the OP going to Mammoth, they'd only need to install chains on the rear.

Old 10-03-18, 12:45 PM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
I am planning to take 2~3 trips to Lake Tahoe / Mammoth this winter season. Each stay should be around a week. Should I get dedicated winter tires or carry snow chain with all season tire would just do fine? Thanks
Go with chains. We used to be Mammoth regulars (until they priced us out...now we go to Brian Head in Utah). A lot of folks don't realize, snow isn't that treacherous; it's the ice. During winter, Mammoth routinely gets into the teens and single digit temperature wise, so any water on the roads turns into ice (no matter how great they plow, there will be liquid freezing up).

I made the mistake a few years back with my then newly purchased GX460 thinking I wouldn't have a need for chains. Well, I turned out to be very wrong...We were driving at about 2MPH out of the Rite Aid parking lot and trying to make a left onto Old Mammoth Rd. (down the slightly sloped driveway) when I started SLIDING onto Old Mammoth Road, with cars coming from right to left...There were 2-3 seconds in time that I would not want to relive! Luckily, while we were sliding, I was able to make a quick right and onto the road (instead of my intended left with at least 2 cars about to T-bone me). From that point on, I carry and use chains (when needed) every snowy/skip trip we take.
Old 10-04-18, 03:21 AM
4les
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stock tire for yellowstone

Feedback required: I have the stock michellin tyres. Do I need any chains for a drive next week inside yellowstone/Colorado/wyoming. I live in Texas so don't see much snow or use for the chains later.
Old 10-04-18, 03:24 PM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4les
Feedback required: I have the stock michellin tyres. Do I need any chains for a drive next week inside yellowstone/Colorado/wyoming. I live in Texas so don't see much snow or use for the chains later.
Unlikely although snow is in the forecast. Chances are, it will be light snow that won't even stick and any areas where snow commonly accumulate, I'd bet there would be places to purchase chains there.
The following users liked this post:
4les (10-05-18)

Quick Reply: Winter tire or snow chain