GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 09:16 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this? I've had my GX for 6 months and still have not gotten used to this. In NYC traffic my foot actually gets tired!
Old 11-25-17, 04:28 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if this is relevant, and maybe I'm not seeing the same thing. So I read the posts (not all, but many). What I notice is the suspension unloading, but the brakes are holding firmly. The pedal feel is a bit different as well. So based on that observation, it's not totally unheard of for a suspension that is designed to be a bit flexi (like you would want for good off road performance) to unload a bit after the stop. I asked a couple of serious rock crawler buddies what their take was on it. They had the same impression. So is this something different and I am not seeing it? Just for grins, my street mortorcycle doesn't unload nearly as much as my dirt bike after a hard stop. Got on a sport bike to check out the theory, it unloaded very little compared to the others. Comments?????????????????????
Old 07-05-18, 02:43 PM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake system on Lexus GX460 already modified or original?

Good day everybody.

I have a questions.

Use the stock brake system on your GX460 or a modified brake system?

Are you satisfied with the stock brake system?

Do you have enough cooling for your brakes?

I have a solution, how to improve the efficiency of stock brake system ...

photos for ideas...
Porsche Cayenne Sport ( stoke )

Last edited by zhs; 07-05-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 06:22 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

More than adequate for me. Stops the big, heavy GX460 with ease. With anything, it's going to come down to parts and over all system condition. If you're using junk pads and rotors, don't expect great performance. If you've never changed the fluid then your system will suffer. If you use OEM or a quality equivalent for pads and rotors and have fresh fluid in a properly bled system, then you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 07-05-18, 08:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The brakes on these giants are adequate, but no where near a porsche. Overheating isnt really an issue, as even after a cold start, the brakes are mushy (even new off the factory floor). You have to live with it, unless im missing something, with the amount of weight these things are pushing.
Old 07-05-18, 09:28 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

I approve of the "never enough brake" addage. However if you are taxing these brakes, its your poor driving that is to blame, not the brakes. This isn't a race car, its a light duty truck and thus needs to be driven like the very heavy vehicle it is. Not like a light weight car. Relax your driving a bit. take a bit more time getting there, enjoy the ride. give your self a bit more stopping distance so you don't wear them out prematurely. You will enjoy the ride a lot more, not waste your dollars on un necessary brake repairs, etc.
Old 07-06-18, 02:07 AM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you on all 100% The original brake system is sufficient for braking a heavy SUV.
I do not see the reason of changing everything to a more expensive kits.

In my country & Russia popular DBA T3 brake rotors, but price is x2 with original from Toyota.

Мy opinion & my experience, need and good enough original break rotors with ceramic brake pads from Toyota.

Every 10000 km or twice a year
​​​​ maintenance for brake system. Cleaning, greasing, blow air from system with scanner.

Мy opinion & my experience:
Brakes on GX not the best. This is a manufacturer's fault in design of brake system.
Brake rotors overheatheat very quickly. Not enough air for cooling

On the photo the Porsche brake system, you can see the airflow flaps for additional cooling.

I also repeated this option on my GX😉

Believe me, the cooling effect greatly increases the efficiency of the brakes.

Some handmade mods for other cars:

Infinity FX

Toyota Land Cruiser 200

Merсedes Sprinter

Toyota Camry

Toyota Camry

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Last edited by zhs; 07-09-18 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-07-18, 07:09 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Airflow across the brakes is always good. Good cooling can't hurt, and probably helps a lot. Nice idea.
Old 07-08-18, 02:30 AM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

Sure thing 😉
More photos
Toyota Crown
Original !!!🤔

Last edited by zhs; 07-09-18 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 07:22 PM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Brake performance of 2016 GX460

I bought a 2016 certified GX460 from the local dealership with 35K miles last week. This is my first Lexus and I am very excited for the truck. I got the premium trim with silver color which is what I wanted (to be frank, anything other than white or black would have been okay). I am replacing my Sienna van with this GX and obviously the handling is quite different. I knew I wanted a body on frame and the differences are expected to me. This is one gorgeous SUV.

The only thing I am not a big fan of how this truck brakes. It appears to me that I have to push the brake harder than usual (compared to my other Toyotas) and I tend to push the gear to neutral every time I stop at a red light because, again I have to use some power to hold the brake. Is this normal? I never had a situation I had trouble braking bit I am not liking how it handles. Could my brake pad be worn out at 35K? Mine has another 4years of extended warranty but I don't think brakes are included. Any feedback?
Old 07-19-18, 10:17 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Unfortunately it is a common issue. Same thing happened to me and my wife. It is just something you have to get used to. There may be some fixes out there but for the most part it’s just a change in behavior. The below documents the issue pretty well:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-problems.html
The following users liked this post:
Zahid (07-21-18)
Old 07-19-18, 11:16 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I just went from 2015 Sienna to a 2018 GX as well. Handling I don't mind but you definitely have to press the brake harder at a stop sign or it will slow roll.
The following users liked this post:
Zahid (07-21-18)
Old 07-20-18, 06:49 AM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Coming from a car with sensitive brakes, it took me about a month to get used to it but losing the press to hold brake was the biggest to me. At a stop, you could double press the brake pedal and then take your foot off and it would hold the brakes until you press the gas (I think its fairly common now).
Old 07-20-18, 03:45 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahid
I bought a 2016 certified GX460 from the local dealership with 35K miles last week. This is my first Lexus and I am very excited for the truck. I got the premium trim with silver color which is what I wanted (to be frank, anything other than white or black would have been okay). I am replacing my Sienna van with this GX and obviously the handling is quite different. I knew I wanted a body on frame and the differences are expected to me. This is one gorgeous SUV.

The only thing I am not a big fan of how this truck brakes. It appears to me that I have to push the brake harder than usual (compared to my other Toyotas) and I tend to push the gear to neutral every time I stop at a red light because, again I have to use some power to hold the brake. Is this normal? I never had a situation I had trouble braking bit I am not liking how it handles. Could my brake pad be worn out at 35K? Mine has another 4years of extended warranty but I don't think brakes are included. Any feedback?
Get used to it. You are driving now heavier vehicle, full time 4WD. We grew up driving brakes without power boost, power steering, LOL! I drive mid size MB SUV, even my wife has no problem modulating the brake when she is driving it. Personally putting the gear into neutral like that is unnecessary with automatic tranny. Looks like you haven't driven real trucks like military vehicles? Color wise you chose 3rd popular one. White is first, black is 2nd.

Last edited by Htony; 07-20-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 11:56 AM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Otherone
Coming from a car with sensitive brakes, it took me about a month to get used to it but losing the press to hold brake was the biggest to me. At a stop, you could double press the brake pedal and then take your foot off and it would hold the brakes until you press the gas (I think its fairly common now).
Thanks a lot for your tips. Could you explain it a little more as I never heard of that before. If i try to double press my brake at a stop, the moment I take off my feet after the first press- the car jumps forward. How do you do this double press? Any documentation or video link? TIA.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions