Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Titanium brake shields

Old 07-22-18, 12:26 AM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

Hand made.
Titanium 1,0 mm

Last edited by zhs; 07-22-18 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 03:36 AM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

Possible to buy, with crazy price...

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_1348

Or made by your self.
Material titanium plate 1.0 mm , I buy with price 5$ & one hour in garage 😉
Old 07-22-18, 08:47 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

What temp differences are you seeing and more importantly on the given day what are average brake distances with and without said air scoop?

I would wager this would only help those who are continuously on the brakes with a trailer or navigating frequent high speed stops. Regular driving the amount of airflow would be adequate as brakes even on porsches dont see the temps you would see with whats needed in vehicle with brake ducting
Old 07-22-18, 09:15 AM
zhs
Driver School Candidate

I made big upgrade of brake system.
- Install new DBA T3 brake rotors. More better material.
- Fabricated new stainless steel custom - made pistons with ventilation holеs ( fwd & aft ). Actually when driving a car on water obstacles.
- Use of SPECIAL lubricants for the brake system ( Not original from Toyota / Lexus ). Better keep high temperatures.
- Custom- made brake hoses, also more stronger.
- Titanium brake pads shields. To prevent overheating of the brake cylinders.
- Install additionall air flow flaps. More cooling.
- Ceramic brake pads original from Toyota / Lexus.

​​​​​​Now my car is ready to brake in any situation under any driving style.

It took a lot of time to experiment and measure of temp.

Of course, if you use your car for driving from home to the supermarket and to work, then you do not need it.

Last edited by zhs; 07-22-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 08:22 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahid
Thanks a lot for your tips. Could you explain it a little more as I never heard of that before. If i try to double press my brake at a stop, the moment I take off my feet after the first press- the car jumps forward. How do you do this double press? Any documentation or video link? TIA.
It was my Mercedes, but I wish the GX had it. One of the only features I really miss about that car. Basically, when I came to a stop I could pump the breaks one more time (press down harder) and it would hold until I hit the gas. Which is a much better system than on the BMW's I drove, that sucked in the brake peddle every time you stopped.
Old 07-24-18, 04:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Otherone
It was my Mercedes, but I wish the GX had it. One of the only features I really miss about that car. Basically, when I came to a stop I could pump the breaks one more time (press down harder) and it would hold until I hit the gas. Which is a much better system than on the BMW's I drove, that sucked in the brake peddle every time you stopped.
A couple other lexus models have that. However I believe that the LX does not have an auto hold feature due to the way the brakes are specd for the vehicle.
Old 07-24-18, 04:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Otherone
Right, my MB SUV does have that feature. Press pedal to stop and press further down then "HOLD" light comes on dash. If press release press again it does not work.
Useful some times.
Old 07-24-18, 04:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
A couple other lexus models have that. However I believe that the LX does not have an auto hold feature due to the way the brakes are specd for the vehicle.
What makes LX brake spec. different from others? I think brake hold is electronic function. On the side not regarding brake if you never had Audi. When Audi is parked and engine shut off brake is kept
applied. One instance is when you want to do some brake job, first thing to do is releasing the brake using a tool connected to OBD port. Lot of cars feature and options are via implementing electronic
technology in conjuction with mechanical. Without basic electric/electronic knowledge working on new cars become quite difficult and dangerous. Many old school tech. does not even know which way
current flows in a diode.

Old 07-24-18, 05:18 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're at a point to which you feel safer putting the driver select to neutral, I suggest you check out what pads are on it.
I understand what you mean and I too have to essentially "double brake" once I come to a stop. My previous GX did this and so does the new one.
I had it checked out with the master tech and he says it's very normal for this vehicle.
Old 07-24-18, 09:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
What makes LX brake spec. different from others? I think brake hold is electronic function. On the side not regarding brake if you never had Audi. When Audi is parked and engine shut off brake is kept
applied. One instance is when you want to do some brake job, first thing to do is releasing the brake using a tool connected to OBD port. Lot of cars feature and options are via implementing electronic
technology in conjuction with mechanical. Without basic electric/electronic knowledge working on new cars become quite difficult and dangerous. Many old school tech. does not even know which way
current flows in a diode.
I dont have the relevant information but the LX has LSS+ so automatic braking must have an electronic method of control logic, just auto hold isnt a function available. RX, NX have autohold, E brake is electronc and have LSS+
Old 08-18-18, 02:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Resurrecting old thread before my time here... just an FYI video I found. I changed mine last year.

The following users liked this post:
Beachy (03-09-19)
Old 08-19-18, 06:50 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

This is on my short list. Going to do rear pads and rotors. I'm sure my rotors can be turned, but I really like Centric Premium rotors that have the hat painted black. Just gotta' wait for the weather in Houston to cool down a bit first...
Old 08-20-18, 11:35 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone had the rear pads wear out before the front? At my 45k service, the front pads were listed "green/good" and the rear were "yellow/need attention soon."
Old 08-20-18, 03:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I haven't noticed that on my GX but not uncommon these days on vehicles with EBD. Many try to leverage more additional rear braking when possible.

Mine were pretty much even wear all around when I changed mine last year.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions