GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18 | 09:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cssnms
Curious if any 460 owners have experienced the same issues with the brake calipers seizing like we 470 owners have experience?

How about recurring problems of brake pulsing?

Apparently the 460 calipers and rotors are direct a bolt on for the 470 and there seems to be some differences in the caliper/rotor, so I am wondering if Toyota addressed the issue with the 460 brakes.

Thanks for your input.
not to many posts like the 120 series and tundras but i dont think many have seen the high miles or OR experiences the 470s age are in
Old 10-09-18 | 09:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I suggest testing a CPO on the lot, instead of a new vehicle or a friend with a GX. Usually most folks arent used to the brakes on these things, since most folks are used to less GW vehicles or crossovers where again the system is not as crazy as a top heavy bof
Old 10-09-18 | 09:57 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Mine has brake pulsing, gets really bad when going down steep grades. I have 107k miles on it currently. Though the brakes do need changing as I've never changed them since I've owned the truck (bought with 65k miles on it about 2.5 years ago). I'm thinking of going with the EBC rotors and pads. If it still pulses after I replace the brakes then I'll look into changing the calipers as well.
Old 10-09-18 | 02:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That sound you hear on initial braking I see many with 4R say the same. I wonder if it is because master cylinder is electro/hydraulic versus vacuum assisted hydraulic? The TRD Pro Taco with crawl control/MTS has a similar master cylinder but the other models have traditional vacuum assist. This latter came up as one of the big show stoppers why adding CC/MTS to a non-TRD Tacoma would be cost prohibitive (aside from lots of wiring).
The following users liked this post:
jkonquer (10-10-18)
Old 10-10-18 | 08:19 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jkonquer
That's exactly it. Do you have problems with uneven braking as well?

I'll probably get it checked when I go in for 5k check up.
oh yea, the brake engagement isn't linear at all. After a year of owning it, i'm still haven't quite gotten used to how the brake engages. the last brake travel before coming to a complete stop is very aggressive!! My passengers always complain about the sudden stop feeling but I never intend to brake that way. I've learn to release the brake pedal a little bit before coming to complete stop to minimize the sudden stop feeling, but it's a hit and miss every now and then.
Old 10-10-18 | 08:47 AM
fastcarsfa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
That's exactly it. Do you have problems with uneven braking as well?

I'll probably get it checked when I go in for 5k check up.

Both of you described my problem exactly and yet another GX on the lot brakes sooner and higher up. My dad will probably not drive 5000 miles anytime soon so update if your 5k turns anything on your brakes
Old 10-10-18 | 08:48 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastcarsfa
Both of you described my problem exactly and yet another GX on the lot brakes sooner and higher up. My dad will probably not drive 5000 miles anytime soon so update if your 5k turns anything on your brakes
nope... i'm currently at 18k miles and it aint changing. lol
Old 10-10-18 | 08:51 AM
fastcarsfa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I suggest testing a CPO on the lot, instead of a new vehicle or a friend with a GX. Usually most folks arent used to the brakes on these things, since most folks are used to less GW vehicles or crossovers where again the system is not as crazy as a top heavy bof
I didn't think about a CPO GX. Maybe I'll test one at another dealership.
Old 10-10-18 | 08:53 AM
fastcarsfa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuandino
nope... i'm currently at 18k miles and it aint changing. lol
Well, that sucks. LoL
Old 10-10-18 | 10:12 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Mine has brake pulsing, gets really bad when going down steep grades. I have 107k miles on it currently. Though the brakes do need changing as I've never changed them since I've owned the truck (bought with 65k miles on it about 2.5 years ago). I'm thinking of going with the EBC rotors and pads. If it still pulses after I replace the brakes then I'll look into changing the calipers as well.
But no issues as far as you know with your calipers seizing up?

Pulsing can be a sign of a caliper seizing or rotor run out. If seizing in the front the truck will want to pull one way or the other under braking.
Old 10-10-18 | 01:34 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
But no issues as far as you know with your calipers seizing up?

Pulsing can be a sign of a caliper seizing or rotor run out. If seizing in the front the truck will want to pull one way or the other under braking.
The truck isn't pulling when I brake (though my alignment is a bit off even under normal driving, waiting to get that fixed after I install my lift). If I were to guess, it's just warped rotors. So I'm going to wait and see after I replace my pads and rotors on all corners.
Old 12-03-18 | 03:48 AM
Whodat9
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Failure Scare

I’ve been driving my new ‘16 GX 460 for a little over 2 months now (32k miles). I love driving this vehicle which is why I’m super disappointed that I’m now scared to drive it after something I experienced last week. Appreciate any info or opinions on possibilities on what may have occurred:

I had to brake slightly harder than normal (plenty of times I had successfully braked much harder in the vehicle). I was on inside lane about 10-15 yards behind vehicle in front of me, 20-25 yards from intersection where light turned yellow? I was going maybe 25 mph. Can’t stress enough that it was nothing extreme (which scares me the most because what happens when I brake harder?). When I pressed my foot on the brake, best way I can explain, vehicle made strange noises almost like it was skidding/skipping or something was flopping around as it rotated inside the vehicle and it’s like the brakes didn’t work. Immediate reaction was to ease back and pump pedal almost in attempt to make it catch something, still nothing and very loud noises. For slight moments wheel kept turning and pulling on its own. Luckily I wasn’t following close and there was an empty turning lane on my left. By the time I reached car in front of me (15 yards - felt like forever!) I had more control of the wheel (almost spun out) but not brakes (still not working). Gluided into turning lane (now fearing oncoming traffic) and brakes finally came back just in time. I turned the car off, freaked out for a minute, then re-started it and it has driven normally since last week. It was crazy and I’m sure other drivers thought I was the one doing this. I was not. So scary. Haven’t had a chance to bring it in. Has anyone heard of this with the 460?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-18 | 05:21 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

I think it was this,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...n-2014-gx.html
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Lando2012 (03-14-19), robert1408 (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18 | 03:26 PM
S2k4
Driver

I'd take it in to get it checked out.

Early on on mine I had a few strange events where the PCS engaged for no good reason when braking calmly, smoothly and slowly. I took it in and they basically said "nothing to see here" . After a windshield replacement, they had a hard time recalibrating the tech. So they had to reload the firmware to get it done. It did not misbehave after that. So maybe it helped? But I did just endure a total PCS failure (IMHO) and broke some ribs and fractured my sternum, as it did not engage at all when I totaled the GX a couple of weeks back.
Old 12-03-18 | 06:01 PM
Whodat9
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow. Windshield replacement makes total sense!

So sorry about your accident @S2k4 . Did this happen prior to or following windshield re-cal?
Believe it or not, when I purchased my GX it had 1 prior owner and I found a very small lesion in the windshield. I agreed on purchasing terms that included OEM windshield replacement covered by dealer. I sent service provider (replacement company) away 4 times at scheduled appointment. First time they showed up with (not exaggerating) a green windshield. 2nd time it was premium setup which has completely dif windshield and connections. 3rd time I asked the guy beforehand if he had appropriate part, then let him do his thing, then came back to what was not a Lexus part already installed on my vehicle. I had to “wait for it to dry” before they could successfully uninstall the generic windshield and install appropriate windshield on 4th attempt. I know. Was crazy.

Ill be be taking it in ASAP as this was legit so scary (and I’m not a timid driver at all). Not sure how to explain to anyone how it went down because I feel I sound crazy. The vehicle drove itself 30 yards. I was helpless.

Ill post updates. @tecman thank you as well for the article referral.

The following users liked this post:
Lando2012 (03-14-19)

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions