GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 06:04 PM
Whodat9
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I’d also like to note ...

I have platinum extended service contract so hopefully this will be resolved. Will post updates.
Old 02-16-19, 03:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,399 Posts

[Rear Brake Pads]
"New" thickness:
10.0 mm (0.394 in.)
Minimum thickness:
1.0 mm (0.0394 in.)

[Rear Brake Rotors]

"New" thickness:
18.0 mm (0.709 in.)
Minimum thickness:
16.0 mm (0.630 in.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Beachy (03-09-19), msgs350 (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 08:29 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluto
Truck is in for service today, 52k miles. The front pads and rotors need to be replaced. Rotors are too thin to turn. The rear pads and rotors can go another 5k, but the rotors might be too thin to turn by then. I'll see where the rears are at 55k.
Just curious.. when they told you too thin, did they tell you the thickness? I measured my fronts and then my rears and was initially alarmed at the large discrepancy (31mm vs. 17mm) but Acrad35751 was able to give me specification ranges. My 2015 is at 40k and had pads done by the dealership at around 30k and my rotors today measured at 17mm thickness.
Old 03-13-19, 11:42 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on this, did the dealer find any problems with your truck? I don’t doubt one bit this was terrifying, I’ve lost it on ice in different vehicles in the past and it’s very unsettling to feel completely out of control - but at least in bad weather you already have a heightened sense of awareness.
Old 03-13-19, 02:04 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Whodat9
I’ve been driving my new ‘16 GX 460 for a little over 2 months now (32k miles). I love driving this vehicle which is why I’m super disappointed that I’m now scared to drive it after something I experienced last week. Appreciate any info or opinions on possibilities on what may have occurred:

I had to brake slightly harder than normal (plenty of times I had successfully braked much harder in the vehicle). I was on inside lane about 10-15 yards behind vehicle in front of me, 20-25 yards from intersection where light turned yellow? I was going maybe 25 mph. Can’t stress enough that it was nothing extreme (which scares me the most because what happens when I brake harder?). When I pressed my foot on the brake, best way I can explain, vehicle made strange noises almost like it was skidding/skipping or something was flopping around as it rotated inside the vehicle and it’s like the brakes didn’t work. Immediate reaction was to ease back and pump pedal almost in attempt to make it catch something, still nothing and very loud noises. For slight moments wheel kept turning and pulling on its own. Luckily I wasn’t following close and there was an empty turning lane on my left. By the time I reached car in front of me (15 yards - felt like forever!) I had more control of the wheel (almost spun out) but not brakes (still not working). Gluided into turning lane (now fearing oncoming traffic) and brakes finally came back just in time. I turned the car off, freaked out for a minute, then re-started it and it has driven normally since last week. It was crazy and I’m sure other drivers thought I was the one doing this. I was not. So scary. Haven’t had a chance to bring it in. Has anyone heard of this with the 460?

Thanks.
I am confused...all the noise and “skidding/skipping” are signs that ABS was working to stop the vehicle....maybe there was oil spot or something that activated ABS. You need to STAY ON the brake pedal...NOT release it and pump it again!
Old 03-13-19, 02:06 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by S2k4
I'd take it in to get it checked out.

Early on on mine I had a few strange events where the PCS engaged for no good reason when braking calmly, smoothly and slowly. I took it in and they basically said "nothing to see here" . After a windshield replacement, they had a hard time recalibrating the tech. So they had to reload the firmware to get it done. It did not misbehave after that. So maybe it helped? But I did just endure a total PCS failure (IMHO) and broke some ribs and fractured my sternum, as it did not engage at all when I totaled the GX a couple of weeks back.
As i understand it, PCS in GX does not brake to a stop. It will only engage the brakes to slow you down at the last minute. Any pics of the damage?
Old 03-13-19, 03:33 PM
Whodat9
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigmd99

I am confused...all the noise and “skidding/skipping” are signs that ABS was working to stop the vehicle....maybe there was oil spot or something that activated ABS. You need to STAY ON the brake pedal...NOT release it and pump it again!
Based on my understanding ABS kicks in and guides to a stop, correct (regardless of how hard you brake)? Are you saying during this time if I keep foot on brake I will avoid losing control of steering wheel? Because it sounds like that is what happened. I did not know anything about ABS or anything else when this happened. I was reacting on instinct. When my brakes didn’t work at such a slow pace and guided brake scenario and there was a car in front of me and I couldn’t stop, my mind said ‘Try something else’. When I pumped brakes I did lose steering control but luckily it took just the right amount of time to guide to a stop. Is this how it works? If/when abs kicks in never release brake? To keep control over steering? And just hope you have somewhere to guide your vehicle without causing a collision? If this is the case I want to turn it off. Is that an option?

I am editing to add: I’d like to know more about the feature but based on my current understanding I would like to remove it completely regardless.

Last edited by Whodat9; 03-13-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 03:52 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Whodat9

Based on my understanding ABS kicks in and guides to a stop, correct (regardless of how hard you brake)? Are you saying during this time if I keep foot on brake I will avoid losing control of steering wheel? Because it sounds like that is what happened. I did not know anything about ABS or anything else when this happened. I was reacting on instinct. When my brakes didn’t work at such a slow pace and guided brake scenario and there was a car in front of me and I couldn’t stop, my mind said ‘Try something else’. When I pumped brakes I did lose steering control but luckily it took just the right amount of time to guide to a stop. Is this how it works? If/when abs kicks in never release brake? To keep control over steering? And just hope you have somewhere to guide your vehicle without causing a collision? If this is the case I want to turn it off. Is that an option?

I am editing to add: I’d like to know more about the feature but based on my current understanding I would like to remove it completely regardless.
Yes, that's the point of ABS!! It PULSATES the brakes and allows you too maintain steering control! Do NOT pump the brakes...because ABS is already doing it for you! Pumping the brake pedal is ONLY needed on non-ABS cars.

Read up on ABS brakes. You can pull the ABS fuses (maybe?) but every dash light will come on.

Let me guess...Lexus dealer could not find any fault with the system? No faulty codes?

Seriously, read up on ABS.
Old 03-13-19, 05:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Safety/Security Features
The GX 460, like all Lexus models, is equipped with an array of dynamic safety systems. Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) helps keep the GX 460 going on its intended course by detecting front- and rear-wheel slide during cornering and attempting to control either condition with a combination of torque intervention and individual wheel braking. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) utilizes the anti-lock brake system (ABS) and distributes proper brake force between the front and rear wheels according to driving conditions and wheel-load.

Brake Assist (BA) is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking, and if the driver has not stepped firmly enough on the brake pedal to engage ABS, the system supplements the applied braking power.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=1813
Old 03-13-19, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Lando2012 (03-14-19)
Old 03-28-19, 08:31 AM
Dushman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound under Brake Pedal

Yes, I have noticed similar issue with my Lexus GX 460, 2010 Model. When depressing the brake, there is a hissing sound in the car under the brake pedal. It sounds as if there is an air leaking. What can be the cause? Brake diaphragm, vacuum leakage etc?
Old 03-28-19, 02:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,399 Posts

This is normal. Braking system on GX is completely driven by a hydraulic pump. There is no vacuum booster utilized. Nature of the beast.
SamLexRXGX (09-04-20)
Old 03-29-19, 08:28 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah good. I heard it right away and wondered if it was something normal or not. But, on my way home I had to slam on the brakes and the GX stopped really really well. That pretty much convinced me the brakes were fine. 😁
Acrad (03-29-19)
Old 04-10-19, 10:21 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes on 2019 Luxury trim

We bought a 2019 luxury trim a month ago and love how the truck drives and its feel. However, just cannot get used to the brakes.....pedal travel and that soft feel. We have a 2006 GX 470 with 155,000 miles, which still drives the same as the day we picked it up, and the brakes are firm...not touchy, just firm! What gives? Did we just get an odd one or the brakes on the next gen GX are just like this. Today, my wife drove it for the first time and started complaining right away on how "different" the brakes were compared to the old 470.

I intend to take the new truck back to the dealership, along with our old trusty 470 so they can compare. But, please comment so I can get an idea on how to pursue this.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-19, 12:27 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I’ve never driven a 470 but the pedal feel on the 460 did take some getting used to. It seems to take more pressure than people are used to in order to hold the truck in place. Frequently, I find myself inching forward even when I have ample pressure on the pedal.

i don’t think taking them both to the dealer is going to be a fruitful exercise for you. Different models have different brake feel, pressures, pedal travel, etc.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions