GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 09:26 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced my pads at 55K. Brake are very dependant on driving style and braking habits. The PO must have gone to the dealership where they strongly recommend replacing at 6mm which is when its just now in the yellow.
Old 02-19-21, 12:48 PM
vegomatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the brake situation is particular to this vehicle (or previous owner) rather than the model.

I'll keep looking!
Old 02-19-21, 01:30 PM
ps23
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some drivers like to ride their brakes even going uphill!
Old 02-19-21, 07:11 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vegomatic
Thanks for the info! Sounds like the brake situation is particular to this vehicle (or previous owner) rather than the model.

I'll keep looking!
i wouldn’t necessarily let that stop me from checking out the car.
Old 02-19-21, 09:40 PM
efaroh
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe the previous owner lived on a mountain...
Old 02-21-21, 07:21 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Brake pad and rotor consumption are relative to driver habits and environment. If you are the type to fly up to stoplights and cram on the brakes like a fat lady in a minivan, then you will use up the brakes fairly quickly regardless the vehicle. The GX curb weight ~5178 lbs, so......
Old 02-21-21, 08:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,025 Likes on 683 Posts

The real story here is the Rear Brake replacement frequency ... strongly suggesting that the rear of the vehicle was carrying a payload ... either lots of people in the back seats with luggage, or towing a trailer. Under typical driving conditions (driver or driver + passenger) the front brakes do 70+% of the braking due to the weight of the vehicle shifting forward ... explaining why rear brake replacement brake replacement typically happens every other time (around twice the mileage as the fronts).

When the rear of the vehicle carries a load, the proportioning valve sends more braking hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes to where the 70-30 ratio (approximate only to make a point) moves in the direction of a 50-50 ratio ... so this vehicle was clearly a workhorse that spent the majority of its life carrying a load.
Old 02-21-21, 09:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I noticed this in FSM related to EBD..

Last edited by Acrad; 02-21-21 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-21-21, 10:47 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 853 Likes on 590 Posts

I'll keep looking!
It could be that the original owner kept going to the same place that used poor quality brake pads. I had grinding from my rear brakes and made an emergency stop at local cheap shop. New rotors and pads that are giving me terrible brake dust on my wheels that I have never experienced before and the pads wore quickly.
Old 03-04-21, 02:52 PM
Teagan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I've started shopping for a Lexus and have decided I prefer the GX to the RX--even though I don't need something that big and I have no intention of going off-road. The GX just appeals to me more.
I've also narrowed down the model year to 2011-2013, as I don't care for the '14s and later ones.
I came across a beautiful gold 2012 model with 96K miles for $19K from a used car store. Everything looked good until I pulled up the Carfax and discovered that the car seems to burn through brakes rather quickly:
28K miles front/rear pads replaced
41K brake pads replaced
52K front pads/rotors replaced
66K rear brakes replaced
77K rear brakes replaced
91K rear brakes replaced
That's a lot of brakes. Is this a problem with this year/model, or do you think it's something weird going on with this particular vehicle? I know the Carfax report can't be trusted 100%, but this is a little concerning.
Hey quit talking about my baby!! 😋I bought that 2012 last Saturday. At least if it was in the mid-atlantic I'm pretty sure I did...

I took it to Toyota for service today and they didn't mention the brakes. The carfax is weird. It will say "Brakes Serviced" and then a few thousand miles later the car will have a new entry that says they replaced pads and rotors. My thought is "brakes serviced" means they either "inspected" the brakes or checked/topped off the fluid.
Old 03-04-21, 04:05 PM
vegomatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Teagan
Hey quit talking about my baby!! 😋I bought that 2012 last Saturday. At least if it was in the mid-atlantic I'm pretty sure I did...

I took it to Toyota for service today and they didn't mention the brakes. The carfax is weird. It will say "Brakes Serviced" and then a few thousand miles later the car will have a new entry that says they replaced pads and rotors. My thought is "brakes serviced" means they either "inspected" the brakes or checked/topped off the fluid.

Lol--a gold 2012 from Car Lotz? I wanted it so bad but it was a 4 hour drive!
Old 03-05-21, 09:27 AM
Teagan
Driver School Candidate

Lol--a gold 2012 from Car Lotz? I wanted it so bad but it was a 4 hour drive!
That's the one! I drove a little over two hours to get there last Saturday.

I copied the carfax into an excel sheet so I could make more sense of it and later that night was checking this forum out and saw your post. The mileages were fresh in my mind since I had just copied them into the spreadsheet. Not gonna lie, it did make my hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I first realized it was the same car!

Last edited by Teagan; 03-05-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 09:55 AM
vegomatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Teagan
That's the one! I drove a little over two hours to get there last Saturday.

I copied the carfax into an excel sheet so I could make more sense of it and later that night was checking this forum out and saw your post. The mileages were fresh in my mind since I had just copied them into the spreadsheet. Not gonna lie, it did make my hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I first realized it was the same car!
Well, at least it went to someone "in the family" and not a stranger, LOL. Good luck, and drive it in good health. Hopefully, I'll find one for me soon!
Old 03-05-21, 10:15 AM
Teagan
Driver School Candidate

Well, at least it went to someone "in the family" and not a stranger, LOL. Good luck, and drive it in good health. Hopefully, I'll find one for me soon!
"Lexi" is definitely in good hands and will be babied from here on out. I took it in for a quote to grind off the surface rust and coat the frame since it was a little crusty underneath and I will be driving it on the beach in the summer. Waiting to hear back so wish me luck🤞

You will find yours soon, they are definitely out there! Drive safely my friend.

​​​​​​
Old 03-18-21, 03:26 PM
DJJJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 GX 460 Braking.

I had to emergency brake for the first time this last week. The pedal went hard and the 460 slowed rapidly, but no ABS jump and bump. The weird part was when the truck was truly slowed to crawling the pedal went to the floor and there was no more braking. I had to release the pedal and push down again, which brought the truck to a stop.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions