GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 08:53 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember in the IS there was some sort of brake pedal mashing sequence to defeat the VSC or VDIM. Maybe this is something similar.

Agree with the others, why in the world would this ever come up?
Old 12-19-10, 06:45 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Brake Pressure When Stopped

Before I got my GX someone posted they had to press harder on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving forward. My truck idles at 550 rpm and the vehicle will barely move forward even with NO brake. Just resting my foot on the brake will hold it easily.

Koz
Old 12-19-10, 07:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats weird. on level ground, there is no way mine will stay still. it will creep forward gently. Have to apply probably 1/3-1/2 brake pressure to keep it still. your rpm sounds very low.
Old 12-19-10, 07:51 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do notice a slight creep on ours but sometimes when I lift my foot off the brake it doesn't go and I need to step on the gas for it to even move. My guess with ours is it depends on how level the pavement is. Sometimes even the slightest uneven road will cause different results. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-20-10, 05:48 AM
Koz

I think the issue others may have been having was the idle was elevated because the engine was cold or the A/C compressor may have kicked in and caused an rpm increase.

Koz
Old 12-20-10, 10:41 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
thats weird. on level ground, there is no way mine will stay still. it will creep forward gently. Have to apply probably 1/3-1/2 brake pressure to keep it still. your rpm sounds very low.
Same here, mine will also creep forward...
Old 12-20-10, 06:05 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I think the issue others may have been having was the idle was elevated because the engine was cold or the A/C compressor may have kicked in and caused an rpm increase.

Koz
nope, thats with engine warm and no ac on. i will check rpm next time i drive it and its stopped...
Old 12-27-10, 09:34 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

Does anyone think it might have to do with the anti-roll back on a hill incline? I do notice having to put a lot more force than my Tundra.
Old 03-21-11, 12:23 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone been in a emergency braking situation and felt that the ABS kick in to soon? and when you lifted your foot off the brake there was a 1 sec or so delay in the brakes disengaging?
I also noticed my car creeps forward unless I am standing on the brake. My 2010 GX460 is in the shop now, I am having the brakes looked for the above reason, and for the huge play in the brake pedal, you have to push a good 1" to 2" before you get any braking. They gave me a 10' RX350 and when I left the dealership I almost had an accident because the brake engage right away and I stop short, lucky no one was behind me.

I can't believe that the brakes are right, having that much play in them. I have never driven a car with brakes like that. There isn't any other Lexus model with those kind of brakes.

How can you say that the brake play is for off-road use?
Old 03-21-11, 12:31 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaBCPcJRb0
Old 03-21-11, 12:33 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

Here's a new link for the video. I don't know why the light comes on, but I tried the same thing on my 08' BMW 335i and nothing happens.
Old 03-21-11, 12:35 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

I think the only time I would be concerned about the warning light, would be going down a mountain, like in Colorado
Old 03-21-11, 01:25 PM
bababooey9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by structural
Has anyone been in a emergency braking situation and felt that the ABS kick in to soon? and when you lifted your foot off the brake there was a 1 sec or so delay in the brakes disengaging?
I also noticed my car creeps forward unless I am standing on the brake. My 2010 GX460 is in the shop now, I am having the brakes looked for the above reason, and for the huge play in the brake pedal, you have to push a good 1" to 2" before you get any braking. They gave me a 10' RX350 and when I left the dealership I almost had an accident because the brake engage right away and I stop short, lucky no one was behind me.

I can't believe that the brakes are right, having that much play in them. I have never driven a car with brakes like that. There isn't any other Lexus model with those kind of brakes.

How can you say that the brake play is for off-road use?
I had the same problem as you with the brakes. Im my opinion, there is a problem with the brakes and is a very serious safety hazard. to make a long story short..I had my Lexus checked out by corporate. They said the brakes were working fine and there is nothing they can do to fix them. When I picked the car up after a couple weeks in the shop....the brakes were fixed! they definitely feel different. im not exactly sure what they did...maybe raised the brake pedal higher slightly and/or fixed the high idle. push your dealer to contact corporate to have them check out the car. They know about the brake problem, there have been many complaints to lexus about this. let me know how it goes. good luck!
Old 03-21-11, 02:39 PM
Koz

The brakes work just like the T4R and stop perfectly. They are designed to avoid grabbing when off road.

Koz
Old 03-21-11, 04:04 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to do an emergency braking a while back, a bunch of teenager had cut me off while doing 50mph on a bridge. I stomped on the brake pedal HARD, and the ABS had kicked in. No problem at all, the truck was rock solid, and no skidding whatsoever. My friend thought it was going to be a catastrophe, because our GX was really big compared to the little Civic hatchback the teenager was driving; had I rear-ended the Civic, probably my friend and I wouldn't be hurt that badly, but the guy in front would be quite badly injured. Gotta thank the GX for the great protection its giving!

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions