GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 or a Highlander??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 06:38 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default GX460 or a Highlander??

I need some help deciding which way to go; my current situation is that we just a baby number 3, and my two boys are 8 and 9. Still in booster seats. I have a Ls460 and a also a Rx350. The Rx350 got traded in for a new lx570, last weekend. I got a good deal on it, I initially went in to look at the Gx460s.

I have owned pretty much every Lexus other than a GX, I am going to get rid of the LS and pick another SUV. love the LS btw... also looked at Toyota Highlander platinum which look pretty good and have decent space. I am thinking of either picking up a 2015 GX premium or 2014 luxury. They are about mid 30s, oe
a new gx premium can be had for 47k 2018s so thats a good deal too. I might go that route as well; any better deals out there??

I owned a 2011 highlander as a beater for a while it was a work horse but really dull to drive so I am sort of turned off by that, but the Gx has barely any space with the 3rd row up but I know it will be fun to drive and probably quieter too.

We go mountain biking with the kids, need to tow a light weight trailer with kayaks.
Old 10-03-18, 09:34 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have kids that you want to protect, keep in mind that a Highlander is basically a Camry. I have 3 kids under 10, and no Highlander.

Last edited by heckeljohn; 10-03-18 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Beer typo
Old 10-03-18, 10:19 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

You are correct, have to ask you guys all fit and use the 3rd row? How are long trips? I am leaning towards a gx too
Originally Posted by heckeljohn
If you have kids that you want to protect, keep in mind that a Highlander is basically a Camry. I have 3 kids under 10, and no Highlander.
Old 10-03-18, 11:07 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the bench 2nd row. All three kids fit, but they're required to sit on their hands if things get rowdy on long trips. Plenty of room.

My wife's GX has the captain's chairs, so 3rd kid in the way back. It gets annoying juggling cargo and 3 kids with the fold up, fold down.
Old 10-04-18, 08:16 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
You are correct, have to ask you guys all fit and use the 3rd row? How are long trips? I am leaning towards a gx too
Just got a GX a little over a month ago with 2nd row bench seating. I've transported 7 average sized adults (5ft to 5'9") and they all fit comfortably, albeit on short trips. Something to realize is that the GX will have a bumpier and busier ride over bad pavement relative to the Highlander. It is tomb quiet though and the V8 is smooth and linear. The body feels like a tank, you own a LX so you already that, but the body does shudder over really bad pavement. I suppose thats a given with BOF vehicles. I would imagine the LX is more luxurious riding and feeling but I have no complaints other than the occasional stiff ride.
Old 10-04-18, 09:02 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Hopefully the luxury package GX is more comfortable on roads/ or maybe not? the lx is very nice but honestly the 21 inch wheels do not belong on that car. I drive coupe of GXs they are tanks which I love. Toyota just have more noise inside the cabin which all of the family do no like.
They will be coming out of an LS460 which is extremely comfortable and dead quiet.

I like the 2014 refresh I think a cargo box on the top can add some space to the gx. I drive a lot / works kids classes etc about 400 miles or so a week. The time I had a highlander 2011 it was very efficient for mpg but was really boring to drive / just the whole feel was numb.

Which models got the front and side view camera? Do all luxury model have them?

Originally Posted by situman
Just got a GX a little over a month ago with 2nd row bench seating. I've transported 7 average sized adults (5ft to 5'9") and they all fit comfortably, albeit on short trips. Something to realize is that the GX will have a bumpier and busier ride over bad pavement relative to the Highlander. It is tomb quiet though and the V8 is smooth and linear. The body feels like a tank, you own a LX so you already that, but the body does shudder over really bad pavement. I suppose thats a given with BOF vehicles. I would imagine the LX is more luxurious riding and feeling but I have no complaints other than the occasional stiff ride.
Old 10-04-18, 11:54 AM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by heckeljohn
I have the bench 2nd row. All three kids fit, but they're required to sit on their hands if things get rowdy on long trips. Plenty of room.

My wife's GX has the captain's chairs, so 3rd kid in the way back. It gets annoying juggling cargo and 3 kids with the fold up, fold down.
I had 2nd row captain's chairs in my Sequoia, and they were a hassle when you wanted to carry three passengers in the back.

I avoided the 2017 & 2018 GX's because, from what I understand, they now include 2nd row captain's chairs in all the Luxury models. At least I had a middle row center console in the Sequoia. The newer GX's models have a walk-through to the 3rd row instead of a console, and look like a glorified minivan, IMHO
Old 10-04-18, 09:21 PM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

We have both a 2017 GX460 (luxury w/driver support package) and a 2016 Highlander Limited AWD.

I love my GX460. But unless you need offroad ruggedness of GX460... the Highlander would get my vote.

Highlander pros: Easy to drive, unibody feel, better mpg, all the safety tech.
GX460 pros: Has full size spare, big, heavy tank type feel (feels safe), basically a small Landcruiser.

Keep in mind that if you want all the safety tech on the platinum highlander to be on the GX460... you'll need to find one with the Driver's support package. That gets you the adaptive cruise, pre collision braking, lane keep assist, auto high beams.

The GX460 is my daily now. But whenever I end up driving the Highlander, I'm reminded how impressive it is to drive. Not exciting. But just a well made competent vehicle. Feels sportier than the heavy gx460. My $.02
Old 10-04-18, 10:10 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyt50
I love my GX460. But unless you need offroad ruggedness of GX460... the Highlander would get my vote.
I agree. We also own an 09 Highlander. Sure it not as quite as Lexus, But for our family duties its been pretty robust. Third row is not for adults, but the second row can be readjusted to gain more space in the third row, if needed. I average 23 mpg, dirt cheap to maintain. 2018+ Highlander are even better in terms of power, MPG and Handling also can tow 5000 LBS with the right package. Plus,Op Already owns an LX570.
The following users liked this post:
jonnyt50 (10-04-18)
Old 10-05-18, 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

We have both a 2017 GX460 (luxury w/driver support package) and a 2016 Highlander Limited AWD.

GX460 pros: Has full size spare, big, heavy tank type feel (feels safe), basically a small Landcruiser.

Keep in mind that if you want all the safety tech on the platinum highlander to be on the GX460... you'll need to find one with the Driver's support package. That gets you the adaptive cruise, pre collision braking, lane keep assist, auto high beams.

The GX460 is my daily now. But whenever I end up driving the Highlander, I'm reminded how impressive it is to drive. Not exciting. But just a well made competent vehicle. Feels sportier than the heavy gx460. My $.02
Originally Posted by john341
I agree. We also own an 09 Highlander. Sure it not as quite as Lexus, But for our family duties its been pretty robust. Third row is not for adults, but the second row can be readjusted to gain more space in the third row, if needed. I average 23 mpg, dirt cheap to maintain. 2018+ Highlander are even better in terms of power, MPG and Handling also can tow 5000 LBS with the right package. Plus,Op Already owns an LX570.
After driving BOF trucks, I much prefer its solidity over unibody cars or trucks. I dont mind shudders, as all cars shudder, but the torsional and bending rigidity is beyond impressive and thats what matters to me more.
Old 10-05-18, 07:03 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Thank you for the feedback!! the highlander checks all the boxes; no reason to discount it just because its a Toyota. One thing I remember the highlander was rather noisy / wind noise on highway speeds and it bothered us, in fact that was the same case with the RX 2013. As soon its driven above 65 mph its noticeable

Last edited by UZ214; 10-05-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 11:24 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Another consideration is seat pitch, which is better on the Highlander. If you're dropping one of those baby carriers into a mounted base, you have to slide the 2nd row all the way back, and even move the front seats forward, to make it work. Highlander has a lot more generous 2nd-row pitch, which is helpful with kids seats, kids kicking your seat, etc.
Old 10-09-18, 04:53 PM
MadamGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a Highlander and a 4Runner when I was looking to upgrade from my 09 GX 470; I ran right into the arms of a GX 460 Luxury after test driving the Toyota’s. If you’ve never had a GX then you might be fine, but once you have a sexy GX and that V8 power you don’t dare go to a V6. My sons car seat fits great with plenty of room to spare and definitely more room if there are more kids on the way. Congrats, btw