Door handle (exterior) - problems, questions, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 07:04 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Octavious
Kids.

Bith rear ear door handles on my wife’s 2011 GX460 were broken in the same weekends by my kids. ��.

Through a search here I found the replacement procedure (see link below) but my question is where is the best place to get the door handles?

Thanks

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-rear-door.pdf
You can do a google search for OEM lexus parts, there are few places online offers decent price for replacement parts. I have used lexuspartsnow.com before and pretty happy with them. As far as for your rear doors handle replacement, you do not to remove all the windows glasses and other frames etc. All you need to do is to remove the door panel, remove three bolts for the door lock, and drop the lock a bit inside door, where you will be be access to one T30 bolt which holds the small piece of door handle, after remove it, you will be able remove the longer piece of handle as illustrated. Fairly easy and straight forward to do.
Old 10-20-18, 07:10 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Here is a list of places to price shop
Old 10-20-18, 07:31 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

The ONLY place I get my Lexus parts from, https://www.ebay.com/usr/belllexusnorthscottsdale
Old 10-20-18, 07:34 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
The ONLY place I get my Lexus parts from, https://www.ebay.com/usr/belllexusnorthscottsdale
I've ordered stuff from them too time to time.
Old 10-20-18, 07:36 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I've ordered stuff from them too time to time.
I prefer them because they can get any part large or small and ship it quickly. Whether it is just the 4 bolts for the front skid plate, or something larger and more expensive, they can get it and the price is spot on. I've got a huge stack of invoices from them between my LS and the GX...
Old 01-28-19, 03:33 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear driver side door handle broken

Can anyone help me with a guide as to how to fix the rear driver side door. I’ve attached a picture. I took off the panel and I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix the handle.
Old 01-28-19, 04:02 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

The handle is broken yes, what other damage is there?

Old 01-28-19, 04:34 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Just that location is broken. I removed the panel and looked inside and there was a yellow latch that I can flip around. But I do not know how to release the side that is not broken.
Old 01-28-19, 05:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jaleels
Just that location is broken. I removed the panel and looked inside and there was a yellow latch that I can flip around. But I do not know how to release the side that is not broken.
You need to first remove inner panel, then the lock assembly held by three screws at edge of the door, you can just drop it in side door. After that, you will see one Tox (T-30) screw that held the small piece of the door handle. By removing that small piece of door handle, flip the yellow lock, slide the handle backwards, and remove the handle. To install the replacement, just doing it in reverse order. Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-19, 07:32 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a FSM (factory service manual) that can be downloaded and that will show you how to do the R&R.
Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ce-manual.html
Old 02-03-19, 08:11 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Thanks for the update and assistance. There was another screw that I had to remove next to the handle in order to remove the handle. When re-installing the door panel you have to remove the window guide on top from the door panel. You have to install the window guide then reinstall the panel and clip it back into the window guide.Thanks.
Old 07-11-19, 07:01 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2012 GX exterior door handle chrome flaking off

I have a Starfire Pearl 2012 GX 460. The car is mint except for the door handles. All four of my exterior door handles look like this (actual photo).

The painted parts looks great, it is just the chrome. What are some good options to either repair OR replace the door handles? The replacement painted handles are about $200 each and that is a little too rich for me.
Old 07-11-19, 07:10 AM
Jmildoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

funny you mention this, i have wrap arriving today that I am going to put on my wifes, changing the look a little. Maybe that is an option.
Old 07-11-19, 07:16 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmildoc
funny you mention this, i have wrap arriving today that I am going to put on my wifes, changing the look a little. Maybe that is an option.
Is the wrap going to cover the entire handle or just the chrome part? My concern with a wrap is that the chrome is uneven since some has flaked off. Did you smooth yours out or is it still smooth?

Also where did you get the wrap from? I might look into that!
Old 07-11-19, 08:22 AM
Jmildoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i am just going to wrap the chrome part, yeah mine are in good shape you can probably smooth it out before wrapping, ill post pics

Quick Reply: Door handle (exterior) - problems, questions, concerns