GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Door handle (exterior) - problems, questions, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 11:52 AM
Jmanscotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Did you buy it from the dealer? I paid half that.
I did, wanted it fast and good quality so it'd hopefully be another 11 years before it needs replaced.
Old 03-20-21, 03:01 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Wrong part!! I took it all apart and realized this handle is smaller while trying to install it. I ordered one from Mylparts.com. Always fun to reinstall broken parts

Old 04-27-21, 05:43 PM
Sig20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side rear door handle sticking

Hey guys my 2013 gx460’s rear door handle has been sticking, tried living it but tbh that never really helped. Now the handle is stuck open/out and it no longer opens the door. The inside handle works fine. Has anyone run into this and what’s the fix? Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-21, 06:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

This? Start at post #79 with my experience but does it look to be broken?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...oncerns-6.html
Old 06-10-21, 06:52 AM
alvybucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door handle replacement/cover?

Hello! Recently purchased a 2011 gx in silver with 70k miles and have noticed the chrome trim on the door handle coming off of the actual handle assembly. I’ve read that I can take the chrome trim all the way off with a heat gun and re-attach it with some 3m tape after. However, i am looking for any different solutions that might be out there. Does anyone know any companies that make door handle covers? The only ones i have seen are for 4runners of similar model years. Anyone have any experience? I would like to get rid of the chrome altogether eventually.

thanks for any input!
The following users liked this post:
spdski (06-10-21)
Old 07-14-21, 01:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
LALexusOwn (07-19-21), Romanova (08-29-22)
Old 10-13-21, 01:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

GXLUX (10-13-21)
Old 04-01-22, 09:59 AM
ShaeMc
Driver School Candidate

Default Door part #s

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
Okay, second update. I purchased and installed the second set of rear door all black handle/cover. This time I knew where I made my mistakes. I definitely took off the window weather strip before reinstalling the door panel. I did it in probably 15-20 mins. Amazing difference once you have the first one done. I did have difficulty removing that damn window strip and cracked part of the plastic trying to pry the metal clip out with one screw driver while pushing down with another simultaneously.

Also, for the sake of saving money, I did not purchase the matching front door black handles. I will have to get those at a later date.
So I for the time being, I also purchased the ebay door handle covers. So as promised I was the first to try for the sake of the board.

Here are my results, installation was 2 mins. It has a double sided tape on the inside, you peel off the paper and stick. In the box it comes with a alcohol wipe looking thing that says it is adhesive activator or something like that. I forget exactly. I first wiped down both handles with an actual alcohol wipe to clean them. Then I used the provided adhesive activation wipe and then I stuck on the handle and held it with pressure for about 30 secs. The front handles have a hole over the sensor to lock the door. In the end, it gets the job done fine, from far it looks perfect and at night it looks perfect. It is only upon close inspection that you can tell it's a cover. There is a small double sided strip on the inside of the cover to keep it attached. It seems to me they did not compensate for the added thickness of the tape so it has a small gap around the edge where you see the original handle. Really it was only noticeable on the handle cover, just on the edge. I really don't think anyone will ever notice. Only you because you know and you will be critical. But for the price, it accomplished the task of hiding the ugly cracked chrome and matching the rear all black handles. I am happy. In 6 months or so, I'll just buy the actual handles for the front.

Here are some pictures for anyone interested.

Front is plastic cover. Back is actual replacement handle.

Front

Back

small gap.
Thank you for updating with the pictures. I was curious about the part numbers for the front & rear handle assembly. When I look up these numbers some parts list as only the RH side or only the LH side, do I need to find the parts that are listed as RH/LH or did it work just purchasing two of the listed part numbers from Jeff? Thanks!
Old 04-03-22, 08:56 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey, I ordered the same parts as Jeff listed and they all work perfect and look great. As far as the cheap plastic covers are concerned, I do not recommend those anymore. I lost some in automatic car washes. I think its best to get the actual all black replacement handles they work great and look better.
MrTorgue (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 06:05 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
Hey, I ordered the same parts as Jeff listed and they all work perfect and look great. As far as the cheap plastic covers are concerned, I do not recommend those anymore. I lost some in automatic car washes. I think its best to get the actual all black replacement handles they work great and look better.
I plan on doing these replacements as well. I just prefer OEM factory parts if I can help it.
Old 04-12-22, 08:10 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JALinker
I used these:
(Front) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3UOA6X/
(Rear) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GV8VDF8/

Re-Adhered with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C

To go from this to this:

Side X Side comparison

Before

After (Front)

After (Rear)
They look fantastic, I thought though that you only had to purchase the chrome inserts not the aftermarket part and remove the chrome. I’m assuming everyone looked for just the chrome insert and was unsuccessful, it would be a lot cheaper too. Great mod either way, and I need it on my silver 2011.
Old 04-12-22, 10:01 AM
JALinker
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I had tried the "overlay" kind but they were a little chintzy... then never really had a lot of luck with finding decent inserts... The price wasn't too bad... and for how they turned out (and are holding up really well) I am pleased, still.
Old 05-13-22, 09:47 AM
POGX470
3rd Gear

Default GX460 Broken Rear Passenger Ext Door Handle

I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me with the exterior rear passenger door handles breaking? My son has recently broken both of mine, the doors are still able to be opened from the outside but the plastic has broken on the handle 'hinge' side. I didn't see any recent threads on this but I'm assuming it has happened to others. Let me know how easy to fix and if anyone can point me in the right direction on parts, see attached picture (disregard the pollen).

Old 05-13-22, 10:18 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by POGX470
I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me with the exterior rear passenger door handles breaking? My son has recently broken both of mine, the doors are still able to be opened from the outside but the plastic has broken on the handle 'hinge' side. I didn't see any recent threads on this but I'm assuming it has happened to others. Let me know how easy to fix and if anyone can point me in the right direction on parts, see attached picture (disregard the pollen).
Yup. Same handle. It’s the side the car seat is on so it’s the second most used handle. LOL

Parts are pretty easy to come by for OEM on eBay and online parts sites. Here’s a how to video.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334374140629
Old 08-29-22, 02:21 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

I've hated my door handles since I got the GX back in 2017. Due to it being outside all of the time, they were smoked from UV damage, lots of cracks and just looked awful. I replaced the rears today and found it to be very easy. I got one handle from Bell Lexus and the other I got from Partsouq and it was significantly cheaper, though I added it to the order of my rear shocks for my GX and the shipping was next to nothing at that point. For the fronts through, it doesn't seem like Partsouq can get those ones (with the touch pad) so I'll source those from Bell Lexus in a bit.

Old ones functioned fine but looked terrible.

Watch these clips...

These too

Much better!

Really shows the cracking and damage

Make sure all of your clips come off with the door panel, had one fall off completely and one get stuck on the door. The black clips on top, there is one by itself and three that are on the fuzzy piece for the window. You can pry them out or yank them out... I pried on the first panel and yanked on the second panel, no issues.

Make sure you test the function of your door before you button it back up. I used the yellow pry tool to close the door striker latch and then tested the function of the outside handle and the inside handle. All good.

Driver's side was about 30 minutes, passenger side was about 15. Super easy.

Last edited by Romanova; 08-29-22 at 02:41 PM.
MrTorgue (08-29-22)

Quick Reply: Door handle (exterior) - problems, questions, concerns