GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Door handle (exterior) - problems, questions, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 04:47 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
I've hated my door handles since I got the GX back in 2017. Due to it being outside all of the time, they were smoked from UV damage, lots of cracks and just looked awful. I replaced the rears today and found it to be very easy. I got one handle from Bell Lexus and the other I got from Partsouq and it was significantly cheaper, though I added it to the order of my rear shocks for my GX and the shipping was next to nothing at that point. For the fronts through, it doesn't seem like Partsouq can get those ones (with the touch pad) so I'll source those from Bell Lexus in a bit.

Old ones functioned fine but looked terrible.

Watch these clips...

These too

Much better!

Really shows the cracking and damage

Make sure all of your clips come off with the door panel, had one fall off completely and one get stuck on the door. The black clips on top, there is one by itself and three that are on the fuzzy piece for the window. You can pry them out or yank them out... I pried on the first panel and yanked on the second panel, no issues.

Make sure you test the function of your door before you button it back up. I used the yellow pry tool to close the door striker latch and then tested the function of the outside handle and the inside handle. All good.

Driver's side was about 30 minutes, passenger side was about 15. Super easy.
Good post. I plan on replacing all four once the weather cools off. Before that though I’m going to raptor line all of them so no more cracking chrome problem.
Old 09-10-22, 07:04 PM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Black Blackline Edition Door Handles

So for the blackline editions, There is a Green Blackline Edition and a Black Blackline Edition and I believe they have exterior door handles that are the same color as the body without the chrome insert. I have not been able to find part numbers for Black Blackline edition front and rear door handles. Can anyone help me with that.

The sticky part number post above lists all the different color door handles but I think they all have the chrome inserts. I am looking for the OEM handle/part numbers in black. I know there are options available on eBay, and I suspect 4Runner solid black handles would fit but I just can't find what I am looking for.. Help appreciated.

Also for Acad, I am going to PM you soon with part numbers for the black window "belt" molding". I don't think they are in the sticky and it might be nice to put those in the sticky.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-11-22)
Old 12-04-22, 12:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Turbostar (12-04-22)
Old 08-14-23, 10:52 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am reviving this old thread as I am faced with replacing a broken door handle. I already ordered a replacement handle only, not the smaller piece as it's not affected as far as I can see. I've seen the video from Bob on YT and another video and it seems straight forward bu I am concerned about one section of the door handle area. Maybe it's nothing but not sure.

In reviewing the videos I don't see these plastic pieces sticking out when Bob removed his door handle (see my photo with the yellow circle and the one where I am point to the right side of the door where the handle broke). (see an snip from Bob's video showing the areas circled in yellow compared to mine). It looks like this is a broken piece but I cannot tell if it's another piece of the handle that's broken and still stuck in the door or if it's a non issue.

Anyone have this when their handle broke?

Last edited by silva1181; 08-14-23 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 01:17 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

You should fine. Take that piece out (it's just a broken piece off the handle) once you get the door panel and such off and put the new handle in following the video.
Old 08-21-23, 03:44 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
You should fine. Take that piece out (it's just a broken piece off the handle) once you get the door panel and such off and put the new handle in following the video.
Thanks. New handle installed. What I thought was a broken piece is actually part of the internal component when pulling on the handle to open the door. For whatever reason it looked like cracked plastic so I assumed it was broken.

took me longer to install the new handle because there was in fact a smaller piece of broken plastic on the left side where you slide the handle in to lock in into place. Eventually we found it and all done. Next time should be a breeze, but hoping there isn’t a next time.
MrTorgue (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 06:25 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by silva1181
Thanks. New handle installed. What I thought was a broken piece is actually part of the internal component when pulling on the handle to open the door. For whatever reason it looked like cracked plastic so I assumed it was broken.

took me longer to install the new handle because there was in fact a smaller piece of broken plastic on the left side where you slide the handle in to lock in into place. Eventually we found it and all done. Next time should be a breeze, but hoping there isn’t a next time.
Glad it wasn't too much of a hassle.
Old 01-27-24, 01:59 PM
Jcgbwg1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing chrome part of handles

Hello,
I keep my 2016 GX460 well maintained. The one thing that is bothering me is that the chrome portion of the door handles is crackling. I have been researching and it seems as if I can’t replace just the chrome portion, but the entire door handle. Lexus parts quoted over $1k for the four handles. Has anyone experienced the same with their handles and do you have a more reasonable solution for me.

thank you!

Old 01-27-24, 03:48 PM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

2016 should be Starfire pearl. You could buy 22 Blackline Edition handles with no chrome.
Wbflyer (01-27-24)
Old 03-25-24, 10:30 AM
sccu1971
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JALinker
I used these:
(Front) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3UOA6X/
(Rear) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GV8VDF8/

Re-Adhered with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C

To go from this to this:

Side X Side comparison

Before

After (Front)

After (Rear)
Exactly the method I was seeking, but I wasn't sure the aftermarket handles had exact same size chrome inserts. Excellent work!
I will be following this method as I do want to keep my original handles with same body paint color with chrome strip.
Thank you!