GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 09:38 PM
dawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors for a winter set of tires

I'm looking at buying a second set of wheel rims, tire sensors, and tires(snow). Is it the case that the tire pressure sensors need to be reprogramed at the Lexus or Toyota dealer everytime the new tires are put on? Some people had said there is a switch in the glove compartment to switch between the 2 sets, but I haven't been able to find anything. Anyone know anything?
Old 10-20-11, 05:15 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The GX 470 (mid 2004 builds and after) had a button under the dash for winter tires, so far I have not seen this option on the GX 460.
Old 10-22-11, 05:22 PM
addstar
Driver School Candidate

On your GX 460 there's a button to switch between summer or winter tires. You or tire's shop should press when they replace the set of tires. You need to program only once into memory of the module in the car when you buy a new set of tires with rims and sensors. Sometimes the tire shops have issue to program correctly and I had visit to Lexus dealer to do it. The tire shop gave me reimbursement.
Old 10-23-11, 06:32 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

If the Tire Px Sensors were previously programmed on your old tires, you dont need to re-program,You can swap those sensors to the new tires. If you are replacing the faulty sensors due to various reasons then you need to input the Sensors Code imprinted on the item to the ECM of the truck via the scan tool.
The 2nd Switch is mainly for owners to have 2 different settings, normally used for Snowy conditions
Old 10-23-11, 05:50 PM
dawg
Driver School Candidate

Where is the button or switch located? I can't find anything in the user manual about it.

thx
Old 11-17-11, 12:25 PM
epoy
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb steps on how to adjust tire pressure monitoring?

i bought a 2011 GX 460 premium, i have the car for 5 months now.
i checked the tire pressure earlier and all tire pressure are low, i was wondering how come the tire pressure light did not light up.

anybody knows how to set up/ steps in adjusting tire pressure monitoring system. i searched on the manual, i cant find the steps.
thanks, sorry to bother.
Old 11-17-11, 03:12 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

When any tire reaches the low pressure set psi (I think approx 26 psi) the idiot light will come on. I don't think there is any settings. You can let air out until the light comes on.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 11-17-11 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 07:19 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

I'm just wondering when the idiot light does come on, does it tell you which tire is low? My SIL has a Ford and it doesn't say which tire, just that one is low! That seems kind of dumb to me!
Old 11-17-11, 08:06 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the system is that the idiot light goes on only when a tire (doesn't tell you which one) has a puncture; in order words, when a tire is leaking air the sensor will be activated. Last time a nail was stuck in one of the tires, and the idiot light came on. I went to check the pressure on all four tires, and they were all about the same. I brought my car to a tire service center, and the guy had to remove all four wheels and inspected every one of them to find which tire had the puncture!
Old 11-17-11, 08:11 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your quick reply akfd! I was hoping it might say which one!
Old 11-19-11, 08:22 AM
Koz

I would have liked to see a system that not only tells you which tire is low but real time actual pressure in each tire.

PS - Remember the spare tire also has a low pressure sensor so every so often you should fill the spare to max pressure so it does not trigger the idiot light.

Koz

Koz
Old 11-22-11, 07:51 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPMS system

The Lexus Tire Pressure system is differential type. If all your tires are set the same. Say 30 PSI. And the system is reset. The light will not come. The TPMS light will come on when 4 of your tires are 30 and one is much lower.

Im not sure by how much. But on my RX. As soon as it gets cold. The light will come on. And I have to put air in the spare tire. And it is 5 or more PSI lower. Its always the spare.
Old 11-24-11, 10:38 AM
mann777

This is the procedure to adjust Tire Pressure correctly when Outside temperature is significatly colder or warmer than shop temperature.
Seasonal temperature changecan dramatically alter tire pressure, which can cause the tire pressure warning to illuminate. I am attaching Six images detailing the Toyota / Lexus for Tire Pressure Compensation and Adjsutment. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-1.png   TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-2.png   TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-3.png   TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-4.png   TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-5.png  

Old 11-24-11, 10:40 AM
mann777

And the last attachment.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns-tire-pressure-adjustment-6.png  
Old 11-25-11, 10:44 AM
Koz

Remember you will lose 1lb a month no matter what and 1lb for every 10 degree temp change (colder will lose a pound and warmer will gain).

Koz

Quick Reply: TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns