GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Phone/Tablet mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 09:00 AM
Kellyrshor
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus GX460 Dashboard Accessory Mount

Awesome job everyone! Love all the different ways to accomplish this! I created this solution and so many people have now tried it and told me they love it. Also... they tell me that it lasts (using the very specifically mentioned 3M tape). Best of all - it does NOT require holes to be drilled in your dash. Here's a basic description but you can also see the detailed instructions (with products links) here: http://txgxoverland.com/2022/04/lexu...cessory-mount/

T-track and 3M exterior tape make a stable platform...

Two pieces of 3M tape on either side of this little hump

Side view shows how the track is located and affixed

View from the other side... notice how the t-track is angled to match the contour of the dash... looks OEM!

RAM mounts for phone, tablet, gps, satellite communicator, whatever are my "go to" solution

This solution has now survived 3 Texas summers and more off road trails than I can count. I know what some of you are thinking... "that'll never hold!" All I can tell you is... it does!
Old 02-04-23, 11:50 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

I posted this in the 3D printed thread but thought it should also be here for future reference
I have just designed and 3D printed a cell phone mounting system that allows quick removal of the phone & brackets and keeps the holder base concealed in the front console tray still allowing the lid to close.

The right hand 2 parts are 3D printed

Bracket installed, I used 2 sided mounting tape and it is holding great

Installed with the medium 4" arm, the longer 6" arm would also work and position the phone higher
The post in the 3D printing thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11443070
The following 3 users liked this post by IanG:
Carnevino (02-05-23), darkoozy (02-05-23), Wmb67 (02-05-23)
Old 01-05-24, 08:02 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Best Phone Mount I've Found For GX

Hey everyone, I figured I'd post up a phone mount solution that I came across a few months back and it works great. I've been searching for a long time for a solution that fits my needs. There's a great member on here that worked with me on trying to make a phone mount with his 3d printer. It worked, but eventually the 3m tape would give way and the supporting "rod" would become too loose over time. Anyways, thought I would share.....I'll add that the install is super easy, no screws...just two tiny plastic pry clips. Takes literally 10 seconds. It's a VERY tight fit.

2023 Lexus GX Series Dashboard Phone Mounts | ProClip USA
The following users liked this post:
ronsatour5 (01-11-24)
Old 01-05-24, 08:49 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Hey everyone, I figured I'd post up a phone mount solution that I came across a few months back and it works great. I've been searching for a long time for a solution that fits my needs. There's a great member on here that worked with me on trying to make a phone mount with his 3d printer. It worked, but eventually the 3m tape would give way and the supporting "rod" would become too loose over time. Anyways, thought I would share.....I'll add that the install is super easy, no screws...just two tiny plastic pry clips. Takes literally 10 seconds. It's a VERY tight fit.

2023 Lexus GX Series Dashboard Phone Mounts | ProClip USA
Great to hear you found a solution, and thank you for testing my first prototype 3D printed version.

I have gone through a number of updates based on your feedback, my latest version is working well for my needs, PROS: the phone slips easily and quickly in & out of the phone holder, the entire bracket assembly is easily removable, this makes the holder easy to swap between my different vehicles, all that is needed is the small base mount in each vehicle. CONS, the phone holder is custom made to fit a specific phone, It works best when the weight of the phone is over the mount (less leverage on the 2 sided tape), I can see an issue with using 2 sided tape in hot environments (I have not had any issues yet bit I live in Canada LOL), my design may not work with larger & heavier phones (mine is a small & light Pixel 5).

In the attached picture the small dovetail block uses 3M VHB tape to install inside the front cubby on the right side, it is low enough that the lid closes without the holder in place. The stem slips easily and securely into the block and a RAM BALL arm connects the stem to the phone holder.

The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
Acrad (01-06-24), Carnevino (01-05-24)
Old 01-22-24, 11:54 AM
URJAY150
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magsafe mounting and cable management.

What's up boys! New GX owner here. Just wondering if anyone has found a good solution for dash mounted phone holders but more specifically cable management. I'm running a vent mounted Spigen magsafe mount right now and it's working beautifully but the cable is forcing me to keep that sliding door open all the time to get the cable into the usb outlets. Do you know if there's a way to run wires that doesn't require any drilling and that would allow for that sliding door to be closed? Ill post pictures of my setup soon! Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 03-03-24, 03:59 PM
CarsSteakGunsWatches
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the STL for this, or the original mount anywhere? Also, is the metal t-track necessary or would plastic to plastic contact be problematic? Is PLA ok or petg/abs the only way with these?
Old 03-04-24, 09:31 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

I’m a minimalist person when it comes to mounts, I prefer to keep dash uncluttered and never hang thing from my vents as it messes with AC and can break the vents if not mounted right. Things suspended also rattle. This is just a magnetic mount on a swivel neck. Works perfect and no rattles. Thanks to Beatsonic, I don’t even have to look at it often.
Old 03-04-24, 10:21 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarsSteakGunsWatches
Do you have the STL for this, or the original mount anywhere? Also, is the metal t-track necessary or would plastic to plastic contact be problematic? Is PLA ok or petg/abs the only way with these?
I just uploaded the STL here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6516416
The version with the aluminum T-track vibrates a lot more, my second version is more stable
I would stay away from PLA, the heat inside you vehicle will at the least warp it, I used PETG but ABS or ASA would also work well

Last edited by IanG; 03-04-24 at 12:37 PM.
Piney1 (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 04:36 PM
CarsSteakGunsWatches
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for sharing that!
IanG (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 06:51 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

I went this way and added the MagSafe charger

Routed the cable to the void under the shifter and added power supply

TexasLexus88 (03-04-24)
Old 03-05-24, 12:55 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's what I've been using ( Magsafe ) and works amazing! With and without a case.The magnets are solid!

Devices : iPhone 15 Pro Max and Samsung S24 Ultra
I have no doubt you could easily stick an iPad mini on it too!

I don't use the vent mount though. Pics below.

Apologies for the visible dirt.. that's just some lint from a wiping cloth!

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by m5rahul; 03-07-24 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 03-06-24, 06:51 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Here is my setup (for iPhone). I used Apple MagSafe battery and magnetic mount, which not only make a great holder, but also the smart charger all the time. Here are all the parts related to my setup:

Flat cable:
Amazon Amazon
Battery case:
Amazon Amazon
USB direct wire adapter:
Amazon Amazon
Holder:
Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
m5rahul (03-07-24), tntcandy (03-08-24)
Old 03-07-24, 09:18 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

One thing on those mounts that charge, unless there is an off switch for the charger, it has always been my understanding that short charging of the phones is not recommended. In my GX, I put in a stupid fast charger to replace the 12V plug - works great but only when I want it to.
Old 03-08-24, 04:56 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
One thing on those mounts that charge, unless there is an off switch for the charger, it has always been my understanding that short charging of the phones is not recommended. In my GX, I put in a stupid fast charger to replace the 12V plug - works great but only when I want it to.
that is why I decided to use the Apple MagSafe battery as my “holder”, the biggest benefit of Apple MagSafe battery works with iOS natively, that manages charging/using the power source intelligently.
Piney1 (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 05:17 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hzhao
that is why I decided to use the Apple MagSafe battery as my “holder”, the biggest benefit of Apple MagSafe battery works with iOS natively, that manages charging/using the power source intelligently.
Cool, I’m a computer geek but have lost my edge on current tech like that. It is great stuff.