Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Explain your black magic!
Old 01-22-20, 08:20 AM
Joeytucson
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazed
Explain your black magic!
it just fits in there. No materials necessary. Perfect pressure fit. It’s slick.
Old 01-24-20, 02:22 PM
mena661
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xplorr

There is a little flex in the system if the phone is hanging out in mid-air, but I adjusted the phone mount so that it is resting on the dash, and no more wiggling around.
Man that's clean!!! Hmm..
Old 02-08-20, 04:38 PM
Dazed
Driver

This is what I have ended up with. It's a RAM mount with a long bar plus a medium (I think) bar. I also tried just the long bar, but I liked this setup more as it dropped the suction mount lower on the windshield. The setup with just the long bar is a bit less shaky. I will eventually try something similar with my tablet when I take the truck on an off-road trip. I may eventually figure out a way to hardwire an induction charger in if I can find the correct mount.

Old 02-08-20, 05:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Really, That was your final choice
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
IanB2 (05-21-21), WRD4chano (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 06:01 PM
Dazed
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
Really, That was your final choice
I have great experience with the RAM mounts...they are really solid. The joint in the middle is not ideal, but where the suction cup its, it takes up almost no vision space on the windshield. I liked how the extra extension got it slightly away from the dash. Also that "pocket" between the gauge cluster and vents seems to be a good space for a phone.
Also, the other part of my name is Confused....Dazed and Confused, so don't knock being confused! :-p
The following users liked this post:
chadmon97 (04-25-23)
Old 02-08-20, 06:19 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Led Zeppelin , Dazed and Confused.. Ha, just looks like a bit much to mount your phone...

Old 02-08-20, 06:45 PM
Dazed
Driver

Exactly. The name came from multiple Dazed, Dazed and Confused, and DNC type combinations of things from when I was in the Hash House Harriers.

If it was just the ram mount and a single bar, it would look normal. Sadly, they don't make a longer bar that's not really long (plus I didn't want to make one), and I had all of the parts minus the piece connecting the bars.

I did something like this on my '85 Land Cruiser, which worked well:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/.../#post-9451172

My tacoma had this which worked well:
https://thetacogarage.com/products/dashtop-multi-mount

I don't want to drill into the dash on the GX and I do not think that the center speaker mounting that I have seen will be secure enough. Hence the suction cup.
Old 02-08-20, 07:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

This is just for a phone right? Why so many parts to bring it to the dash?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-for-waze.html
Old 02-08-20, 07:13 PM
Dazed
Driver

Because I want it to be secure for offroad too. And I don't trust the magnet mounts. For the suction cup, the dash didn't have a great/flat spot (that I saw, but open to ideas). And this gets my distracted and not buying a lift and wheels and tires.....so there is that.
Old 02-11-20, 11:05 PM
stubble
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi all, has anyone with a 460 just mounted a ram ball to the console somewhere, like on front of the seat heater dial? Or is there a way to affix a plate of some sort into the left edge of the console between the plastic and the leather trim piece? I like having my phone lower down and on my 2011 GX the audio controls had a cover that my suction cup mount worked great on, just cleared the left side of the gearshift. With my new '19 I have to find a new way since the audio controls are exposed on the panel. Don't mind drilling for a ram mount if there's a good spot.
Old 02-12-20, 08:57 AM
OCGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stubble
Hi all, has anyone with a 460 just mounted a ram ball to the console somewhere, like on front of the seat heater dial? Or is there a way to affix a plate of some sort into the left edge of the console between the plastic and the leather trim piece? I like having my phone lower down and on my 2011 GX the audio controls had a cover that my suction cup mount worked great on, just cleared the left side of the gearshift. With my new '19 I have to find a new way since the audio controls are exposed on the panel. Don't mind drilling for a ram mount if there's a good spot.
I used a rivet nut to mount a 20mm ball on my console for my tablet. I don't have the seat heaters, so I was able to use the blank switch cover. I used a piece of metal to reinforce the rivet nut on the back side. I also have a piece of metal on the top to distribute the weight. I will post pics later.
Old 02-12-20, 10:29 AM
stubble
Rookie

Originally Posted by OCGX
I used a rivet nut to mount a 20mm ball on my console for my tablet. I don't have the seat heaters, so I was able to use the blank switch cover. I used a piece of metal to reinforce the rivet nut on the back side. I also have a piece of metal on the top to distribute the weight. I will post pics later.
Thanks, that sounds like its along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn’t sure if there would be some space under the plastic in that area for backside nuts/reinforcement plate. I do have the seat heaters. Another spot for a ball perhaps would on the vertical inner face under the volume ****.
Old 03-02-20, 07:21 PM
stubble
Rookie

Originally Posted by stubble
Thanks, that sounds like its along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn’t sure if there would be some space under the plastic in that area for backside nuts/reinforcement plate. I do have the seat heaters. Another spot for a ball perhaps would on the vertical inner face under the volume ****.
just a quick follow-up here to show what I did. Mounted to trim panel to the right of the tune ****, using washers and lock nuts on the back side.

its pretty sturdy even though its just going into plastic. There are support ribs and an attachment clip molded in on the back side. Hopefully it holds up over time. If not well its probably not the cheapest plastic piece to replace...

The following users liked this post:
xplorr (03-03-20)
Old 03-22-20, 05:10 PM
Dazed
Driver

Originally Posted by Dazed
This is what I have ended up with. It's a RAM mount with a long bar plus a medium (I think) bar. I also tried just the long bar, but I liked this setup more as it dropped the suction mount lower on the windshield. The setup with just the long bar is a bit less shaky. I will eventually try something similar with my tablet when I take the truck on an off-road trip. I may eventually figure out a way to hardwire an induction charger in if I can find the correct mount.
So this didn't work. The RAM Mount just keeps falling off the windshield. Keeps falling off my gf's windshield too. I no longer recommend this method at all.

Quick Reply: Phone/Tablet mounts