GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 12:18 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rhino Radios tablet installed in my 2018 GX460 base model which has navigation. My back up camera did not work with tablet installed (I also have the 360 degree camera I ordered from them as well, not yet hooked up).

At the moment my main issue is that my airbag warning light is on, after several emails Rhino Radios finally responded and sent me a "chip" to use, no instructions on what to do with it of course...

I have heard that you are supposed to keep the bottom part of oem radio connected behind the tablet radio? Can anyone confirm that? I have no instructions so know way for me to know for sure and Rhino Radios won't answer my questions anymore.

Full details on this ih8mud thread with pics as well:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx4...radio.1173802/

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-20, 02:01 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

@Acrad do you have instructions for installing these radios? I saw the link you posted for instructions but requires permission to access the instructions. Sent request for access. Thanks.
Old 01-02-20, 02:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

PDF was tool large to upload to here or GXOR. the 33 pages were spit out into JPEGS. You will have to manually change the URLs from 1-33 for now.

Example:
Page 1

Page 10

Page 33 is last one
Old 01-02-20, 02:07 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

It seems that Tesla is having/had some issues with their screens, so that makes me wonder what the long term durability of these screens will be like....

Last edited by Chasin; 01-02-20 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 02:13 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

Are those links for the manual? links do not work.

I saw the pictures here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...BzOExCN0t6VzNR

Do you know if I am supposed to keep the bottom portion of the oem radio installed behind the tablet? Not sure how to remove that ribbon cable in the pictures...
Old 01-02-20, 02:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

I split the PDF and uploaded to Wiki site.

File 1 of 2

File 2 of 2

I thought these units were supposed to work with OEM radio. I never installed one myself.

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...ction_1of2.pdf

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...ction_2of2.pdf

Old 01-02-20, 02:28 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
I split the PDF and uploaded to Wiki site.

File 1 of 2

File 2 of 2

I thought these units were supposed to work with OEM radio. I never installed one myself.

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...ction_1of2.pdf

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...ction_2of2.pdf
I installed the RHino Radios unit and you can see details here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx4...1173802/page-3

But basically my air bag warning light came on with radio, I did not leave the bottom of oem radio connected as I did not know about this. Rhino Radios sent me a chip (you can see details of chip on ih8mud link above). Chip did not work for me as I did not have this blue connector the other user had for his.
From picture it looks like they used the bottom portion of oem radio which I can attempt but not sure how to take out that ribbon cable they took out, do not want to break it in case I have to go back to using the oem or resale...
Also my reverse camera did not work either, other than those two issues, everything else was plug and play and worked fine but I do not like having the air bag warning light issue...
Old 01-02-20, 02:51 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

Ok, figured out how to take ribbon out of lower part of radio...
Old 01-02-20, 05:21 PM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

So I tried with installing the bottom part of oem radio and was a huge PIA and this did not work at all. Although my tablet radio is different from the one in the pictures...
At this point I do NOT recommend Rhino Radios at all, stay away at all cost!
Tablet radio throws airbag warning and oem reverse camera does not work. They already knew of these two issues but they do not mention this when selling this tablet. They do not answer emails consistently and almost not at all. They are very vague with responses and it is so frustrating that this thing comes with NO installation instructions!
Going to re-install the oem system.
Old 01-02-20, 07:01 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SSG2020
So I tried with installing the bottom part of oem radio and was a huge PIA and this did not work at all. Although my tablet radio is different from the one in the pictures...
At this point I do NOT recommend Rhino Radios at all, stay away at all cost!
Tablet radio throws airbag warning and oem reverse camera does not work. They already knew of these two issues but they do not mention this when selling this tablet. They do not answer emails consistently and almost not at all. They are very vague with responses and it is so frustrating that this thing comes with NO installation instructions!
Going to re-install the oem system.
I don't recommend any aftermarket radio system in the market as well. I bought the one on Aliexpress with android and it is total garbage. VERY buggy and keeps crashing. Not to mention not able to get it to work with my Samsung most of the time.

I would would wait until a system proven to be reliable come to market which I would doubt that will ever happen. Don't waste your money on any of these.
Old 01-02-20, 07:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
I don't recommend any aftermarket radio system in the market as well. I bought the one on Aliexpress with android and it is total garbage. VERY buggy and keeps crashing. Not to mention not able to get it to work with my Samsung most of the time.

I would would wait until a system proven to be reliable come to market which I would doubt that will ever happen. Don't waste your money on any of these.
Im still waiting on when the Lsait folks who make the unit for the RX 4th gen are going to launch something similar for us. Again, wouldnt it be nice if Lexus offered a retrokit, or offered it in the MY20s lol
Old 01-06-20, 11:32 AM
rgardjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Im still waiting on when the Lsait folks who make the unit for the RX 4th gen are going to launch something similar for us. Again, wouldnt it be nice if Lexus offered a retrokit, or offered it in the MY20s lol
Are you talking about something like this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...012561205.html
I like this solution as it appears to keep the factory radio intact and allows you to switch between the factory and the Lsailt Andriod unit. I believe that it interrupts the video/touch screen data and essentially adds an input to the screen. Seems like the best way to avoid the problems that seem to come up with the aftermarket headunits that completely replace the factory system.
Old 01-06-20, 11:38 AM
SSG2020
Driver School Candidate

I have found the issue with the airbag light staying on and I am in contact with Phoenix automotive tech who will contact the manufacture for a solution. The vehicle airbag harness that connects to the top part of the oem radio has no where to connect to the new tablet radio...Although I have a chip/resistor jumper for this the harness do not match up. Will wait to see what they say tomorrow but in the meantime I am building my own harness to go from the vehicle airbag radio harness to a harness that can connect to the chip/jumper harness.

I am mostly updating the ih8mud thread but will post details here once I hear back from manufacture and about my own harness I will be making.
Old 02-16-20, 10:58 AM
chutch0170
4th Gear

Have any further units come out or perhaps have the ones listed above updated SW to solve glitches etc? Just got a 2012 and would love to be able to replace the center unit.
Old 04-03-20, 03:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 875 Likes on 607 Posts

How is your unit working hzhao?

The following users liked this post:
Ncan8 (04-03-20)

Quick Reply: Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles