GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 12:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrotz
Nice! So, are there external ports for usb sticks, aux or additional micro sd cards? Do you already have one in hand, how is the installation going?

How does it play DVD's from discs or from files?
Don't have one in my hand yet. Still waiting for their final production ones for testing. For what I know so far, OEM USB/AUX ports are working with the system.
Old 11-18-18, 01:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Looks like TPMS info is there and potentially full OBD even into the non-emission related modules like what TS and OBD Fusion can do.
Old 11-18-18, 04:10 PM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

Some questions:
What type of screen is it? Resistive, capacitive, both? The great thing about the resistives is that I don't have to remove my deereskin gloves or buy some touchscreen compatible gloves.
Is the OEM GPS function of disabling entry carried over to the tablet? If so, can it be disabled? Could be another incentive if people won't need to purchase a separate bypass device.
Is there a way to get more memory, speed, or a different tablet? What works well today might lack power for tomorrows apps.
Old 11-18-18, 04:35 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

if its all plug and play, does that also mean no cutting of the existing dash? it is the entire center piece. it just seems to be too cheap to be real.
i wonder if it would void a warranty.
Old 11-18-18, 04:56 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
if its all plug and play, does that also mean no cutting of the existing dash? it is the entire center piece. it just seems to be too cheap to be real.
It voids warranty only if Lexus know you had an aftermarket console installed and can prove the malfunction is caused by it. The parts used in this console doesn't cost much, probably less than $200
Old 11-18-18, 04:59 PM
John00
Racer

I wouldn't say too cheap. 10$ of plastic molding, a 50-100$ tablet and some connectors and wires. More cost in development and tooling than the parts.
Old 11-18-18, 05:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Great to see options like this. IMO: Long term owners can rest at ease that there are replacement HVAC/Infotainment options that won't break the bank. New... this stock part is over $3k and you might be able to find it used for $1200 so at current pricing quite a deal. Fingers crossed the hype meets reality.
Old 11-18-18, 05:40 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by leftyguns
For what I understand (based on conversations that I have with them), you will retain the head unit (behind the lower potion of the center stack. There is no cutting or wire tapping at all, all connectors will be utilized with OEM ones. The current release will be compatible with 2014+ GX ONLY. The unit for 2010 to 2013 GX will be available in coming month. As for the warranty, this will be a very gray area. If dealer can proof any malfunction was a direct result of this modification, then YES. Otherwise, the technical answer is NO. However, dealer can always refuse to perform any diagnose under warranty due to "unable" to access the OEM center screen and menu information. This will be a judgement call. Personally, I probably won't do this mod if the vehicle is still under warranty if you are not confirmable of dealing with such scale of mod. For those who feels comfortable, there is always the option should OEM components needs to put it back just to get over the warranty term when its's needed.
Old 11-18-18, 05:43 PM
Rrotz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Great to see options like this. IMO: Long term owners can rest at ease that there are replacement HVAC/Infotainment options that won't break the bank. New... this stock part is over $3k and you might be able to find it used for $1200 so at current pricing quite a deal. Fingers crossed the hype meets reality.
yea, that's a problem, vaporware.
Old 11-19-18, 08:48 AM
hzhao
Racer

Gained more information on the unit. As I have suspected, the most of function are driven by OEM head unit. It is a more or less of an extension unit to expand OEM function with a new user interface. Judging from the picture and wire harnesses, there are leads for the multi camera connections, However, not sure if those are extension from the OEM harnesses if so, you will still need proper ECU before those leads may providing any useful functions. The current demo showing the screen with drier support option displayed, which I can understand. The unit itself may not have any function of stitch multiple cameras to form 360 degree view, which will still rely on other unit. The additional camera leads may feed direct camera images to display as individual ones which may be displayed on the screen with the soft button on top row (second one from left). Will need test those out when we can get the hand on the test unit. I am still working on secure the test unit at meantime.

The following 4 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (11-21-18), bbqsoup (03-07-19), leftyguns (11-19-18), tuandino (12-03-18)
Old 11-20-18, 04:43 PM
John00
Racer

More questions to add to my earlier ones:

Can a port or splitter on the tablet be used to control logic circuits, transistors, switches, any type of output? This would be great, could then use it to control LED bars, pumps, etc.
Will there be any ability to side load apps?
How about an extra port for connecting accessories, even if we have to run it from behind?
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 05:12 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
More questions to add to my earlier ones:

Can a port or splitter on the tablet be used to control logic circuits, transistors, switches, any type of output? This would be great, could then use it to control LED bars, pumps, etc.
Will there be any ability to side load apps?
How about an extra port for connecting accessories, even if we have to run it from behind?
Judging from the photo (unconfirmed), there are several open ports (multiple pins) on the back, and also from some of other video where the unit used for display as a stand alone during trade show setup has some cables connect to the units, I would assume those are I/O ports for diagnose and programming purpose. Not sure manufacturer would share those information. But will certainly ask if any customer add-on can be achieved.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (11-24-18)
Old 11-20-18, 06:52 PM
hzhao
Racer

I am on the chart with factory now and following are few key answer to some of the questions: (do remember, those answers are best of knowledge of the individual, we still need to actually test some of the claim to be in certain)

1. The unit will have all the OEM setup menu items to be accessed in new UI, plus items that are not available to OEM display such as TPMS and some other performance data. Basically, anything that transmitted via CANBUS is either user manageable or displayable item.

2. For NA, Google map will be the standard nav option.

3. There is NO customer I/O. Factory prohibits any customization of the system which will void warranty and support. For which I did not surprise.

4. Unfortunately, Voice recognition will NOT be supported at this time.

Last edited by hzhao; 11-20-18 at 08:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (11-21-18), bbqsoup (03-07-19), John00 (11-24-18)
Old 11-20-18, 07:30 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
I am on the chart with factory now and following are few key answer to some of the questions: (do remember, those answers are best of knowledge of the individual, we still need to actually test some of the claim to be in certain)

1. The unit will have all the OEM setup menu items to be accessed in new UI, plus items that are not available to OEM display such as TPMS and some other performance data. Basically, anything that transmitted via CANBUS is either user manageable or displayable item.

2. For NA, Google map will be the standard nav option.

3. There is NO customer I/O. Factory prohibits any customization of the system which will void warranty and support. For which I did not surprise.
How will google maps get internet? Android auto, data sim, bluetooth tethering or mobile hotspot?
Old 11-20-18, 08:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
How will google maps get internet? Android auto, data sim, bluetooth tethering or mobile hotspot?
via connected phone, or any portable MiFI or hot spot devices

Quick Reply: Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles