GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 05:34 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
That thought did cross my mind....... But with only 18F in the garage, I picked warm bed
I have the same problem, so cold. Lucky when the work is inside the vehicle, a couple space heaters and you're golden. Now lights on the other hand.....

I AM SO READY TO GET ONE OF THESE! This is another one of those times the 2012 has it's drawbacks in the electronics area, but at least they plan to have a solution coming.
Old 12-09-18, 05:47 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
I have the same problem, so cold. Lucky when the work is inside the vehicle, a couple space heaters and you're golden. Now lights on the other hand.....

I AM SO READY TO GET ONE OF THESE! This is another one of those times the 2012 has it's drawbacks in the electronics area, but at least they plan to have a solution coming.
I had a short conversation with the supplier last night, they said just completed an install on 2010 for testing, looks it is also ready for production. I am sure it is not too far into the future to have the full coverage with full model years.
Old 12-09-18, 06:59 AM
John00
Racer

Did they mention the process to update SW if needed, or maybe firmware? Should we leave a usb extension somewhere back there we can get to?
Old 12-09-18, 07:09 AM
hzhao
Racer

Did they mention the process to update SW if needed, or maybe firmware? Should we leave a usb extension somewhere back there we can get to?
There are two additional USB posts from the unit (with extension cable) available as standard configuration, which you can route them into glove box or anywhere you see fit. Those ports can be used for media and software updates, alone with the OEM USB ports in the center console.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (12-09-18)
Old 12-09-18, 04:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Have been working on it most of afternoon, still got few issues waiting to talk with the supplier (they are 13 hours ahead of EST.

Few first impressions to share:

1. Boot time is not that bad, maybe around 20 seconds. However, the reverse camera will be available immediately after power on should you need to back out from park space, no problem there.

2. All A/C. include third row controls are all there works as expected, even automatic circulation is also available.

3. Screen response is very good. No problems there.

4. All the menu settings are all accessible. But some of names were poorly translate and described. Remember, they are developed in Chinese and then translated to other language. But you should have no issues to figure that out.

5. Since it cone with its own receiver, so you will lose XM. For me it is not an issue, I have a lifetime subscription on my LX, so I always use the XM stream on the phone anyway. Now with Android, I can add the XM app right on it.

I am currently working on issue of audio and backup camera image. For some reason, or maybe the way how harness, I lost backup camera image. Another issue is the audio I am still getting from the OEM receiver. Wondering if those are correct harnesses. Compare the brief photo reference they send me, seems some mis-match connectors.

Last but not least, like every product from China, there is little or no detail instructions, you just to figure it out on your own, sometime, take the try for errors approach.

Hopefully, by tomorrow, it should be at where it should be.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (12-10-18), bbqsoup (03-07-19)
Old 12-09-18, 05:06 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Looking forward to the Day Two report & the first pic of a US install.
Old 12-09-18, 05:13 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
Looking forward to the Day Two report & the first pic of a US install.
I have been taking the pics along the way. Will put up when it's finalized. Don't want to give any bad info to mis-leading anyone
Acrad (12-10-18), scpringle (12-09-18)
Old 12-10-18, 02:26 PM
hzhao
Racer

Quick update, after spoke with vendor, it appears there was some missing harness which resulted audio issue I have experienced. So, I have to put everything back to OEM since I have an out of town trip coming this weekend and I don't think that I can get to it until I got back. While I was talking with them, I have discovered that for those who has the Driver Support Package, the integration to the new system is easier since the harnesses are designed for that. This is because most of GX sold in Asia and EAU region are most equipped with those options. The standard Backup Camera setup will have the issue as I found initially. The reason is the harness for the cameras will not work for GX without Driver Support Package. When you take out the OEM display unit, it essentially cut out the power for Backup camera for none Driver Support Package configuration. However, it is an easy fix. All you need is to tap a 6v power to the pin#10 (black color wire) on the main harness off the OEM display unit, which supplies the power to the camera. Pin#8 is the video signal. For now, I am just have to waiting for the proper audio cable harness to test the audio part, which I am pretty confident about it.
Acrad (12-10-18), John00 (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 06:33 AM
John00
Racer

One of the projects I paused on was the addition of a front camera. How would a front camera be added with this display?
Old 12-11-18, 06:58 AM
hzhao
Racer

One of the projects I paused on was the addition of a front camera. How would a front camera be added with this display?
There is a "side camera" input which you can use for either front or any other camera for what you would like. By resting on screen "Camera" button, it displays the video from that feed. So, you can just feed the front camera to it.
John00 (12-11-18)
Old 12-19-18, 01:51 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

hzhao, any progress made in this tablet install?
Old 12-19-18, 02:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tuandino
hzhao, any progress made in this tablet install?
Have been out of town. Just got back. Hopefully get back on the project later this week. Will keep everyone posted.
tuandino (12-20-18)
Old 12-19-18, 02:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,674 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
However, it is an easy fix. All you need is to tap a 6v power to the pin#10 (black color wire) on the main harness off the OEM display unit, which supplies the power to the camera. Pin#8 is the video signal. For now, I am just have to waiting for the proper audio cable harness to test the audio part, which I am pretty confident about it.
Were they going to send you a revised wiring harness or will the 6v tap workaround be the fix for issue?
Old 12-19-18, 06:42 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Were they going to send you a revised wiring harness or will the 6v tap workaround be the fix for issue?
They did send me the correct version of harness. As for the 6v tap, they promise will be included for the next batch of production.
Acrad (12-19-18), tuandino (12-20-18)
Old 12-20-18, 01:16 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"Support forward-view and right-view video signal input" what is this referring to ?

Quick Reply: Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles