GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New gx owner!!! But...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 07:15 AM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New gx owner!!! But...

Just picked up a 2014 GX Lux from Carvana on Friday. As soon as I got it on the highway I knew something was wrong. When I hit about 60mph I started to have vibrations. Not really serious vibrations, but enough to think, "I shouldn't have this in a 4 year old luxury truck". A couple of other issues too like the park assist and floor mats... Carvana has a warranty service that will probably pay to fix but I'm wondering if I should take it back. I have until Thursday to take it back no questions asked.

Here is a breakdown of the issues
1. Vibration at highway speeds
2. Park assist constantly beeping at an object on left. Presume it is a missing sensor since there is a HOLE where a sensor should be.
3. Missing 1 floor mat

Black GX 460 Luxury 79k miles. What do you all think?? Take it back and wait on a CPO vehicle?
Old 11-06-18, 07:32 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Can you take it to Lexus or an independent you trust, and do an inspection on it? Those 3 items you've listed can be fixed for about $1k (New set of tires, sensor and set of mats). CPO doesn't really mean a perfect car either, just a Lexus backed warranty.

If you don't ming me asking..what did you pay for it? Seems like there are great deals to take advantage of on new 2018's at them moment.
Old 11-06-18, 07:47 AM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

I do have a mechanic that I trust that will look at it pretty quick. If I go to Lexus I'm afraid that they will take too long and I'll miss my 'take back' deadline on Thursday.

I paid 30k for it on Carvana. If I take it back I won't find anything at that price. I'm willing to go higher but all of the Lux models are 40k+.
Old 11-06-18, 08:51 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 534 Posts

Any reason why you chose to buy from Carvana? I just can't get excited about their business model and methods of operation.
I would take it back and get a refund. There are TONS of GXs out there... you can find a one-owner dealer trade in with just a little bit of patience.
The following users liked this post:
bondguy (11-06-18)
Old 11-06-18, 09:25 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Understood. Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how it works out.
Old 11-06-18, 09:34 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

If it was me, I would return it and find a different one that you’re more comfortable with. Otherwise you may second guess yourself for a long while.
It is cheap for a Lux model for a reason.

Old 11-06-18, 09:38 AM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

I was really hesitant on using Carvana since I couldn't really see the car before buying it. Since I have 7 days to take it back I figured I really didn't have much to lose. The customer experience was ok. They are missing a great opportunity to have a unique customer experience in buying and picking up the car.

I'm taking it to Lexus to get a diagnostic and if things get too expensive and too much drama in getting fixed I'm taking it back in the next day or so. Pretty sure I'll be able to get exactly what I want. The only thing cosmetically that I didn't want was the ivory colored seats. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-06-18, 10:28 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Good luck with it bondguy. I looked for several months until I found the color combination and options I desired. I am actually still waiting to take delivery of mine as I purchased from a dealership out of state. Hope to have it Friday or Saturday of this week once transport arrives in my area.
Old 11-07-18, 08:46 AM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE.... Took the truck to Lexus dealer this morning and found out the verdict. The mechanic did a great job inspecting the truck for me and told me that it was in an accident! Wasn't reported on CarFax but any mechanic would be able to tell that it was in an accident and low-end repairs were made. Missing parts under the bumper. The turn signal wasn't plugged in... The park assist sensor was tucked under the bumper so he just popped it in. Missing seals in engine compartment. The list is too long... I asked what would he do if he could have it repaired for free. He said he would walk away from it because there was so much wrong with it. That's exactly what I'm going to do. Telling Carvana to come and get this thing asap. I'll just bide my time for an I-certified GX comes along. Until then I'll live vicariously through all of you proud owners.
Old 11-07-18, 08:49 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
UPDATE.... Took the truck to Lexus dealer this morning and found out the verdict. The mechanic did a great job inspecting the truck for me and told me that it was in an accident! Wasn't reported on CarFax but any mechanic would be able to tell that it was in an accident and low-end repairs were made. Missing parts under the bumper. The turn signal wasn't plugged in... The park assist sensor was tucked under the bumper so he just popped it in. Missing seals in engine compartment. The list is too long... I asked what would he do if he could have it repaired for free. He said he would walk away from it because there was so much wrong with it. That's exactly what I'm going to do. Telling Carvana to come and get this thing asap. I'll just bide my time for an I-certified GX comes along. Until then I'll live vicariously through all of you proud owners.
you MADE the right decision.

Have looked through this site?
https://www.lexus.com/lcertified/search-inventory?models=GX&years=&minMileage=0&maxMileage=70000&minPrice=0&maxPrice=100000&radius=200&page=1&zip=80011
The following users liked this post:
bondguy (11-07-18)
Old 11-07-18, 09:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
makes sense when they were 10k less then the equivalents. hopefully they take it back.

Carvana posts thus far have been 0-2. ur gx and someones rcf
Old 11-07-18, 09:46 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 534 Posts

Good call. If I were you, figure out exactly what you want and reach out to some Lexus dealers in and around your area. Tell them that as soon as they take in a GX on trade that meets your specs, to contact you first. To me, that is the easiest way to get a vehicle that was sold new by that dealer and also maintained by that dealer. If you were to do this in a place like Houston, I think you'd find what you were after pretty quick due to having 4 dealers and a lot of people driving GXs.

FYI, this is how I got my LS430 and it allowed me to get exactly what I wanted.
Old 11-07-18, 10:20 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Good call on returning it too. Glad to see you found out about it now rather than later.
Are you fixated on CPO? There are some good deals with non CPO as well. The GX is such a reliable vehicle that you may not use any extended warranty at all. Some of the major repair are covered under extended warranty and recall, air bag, secondary air pump.

You can run the VIN at lexus owner site and see the history if anything had been fixed at the dealer for some peace of mind as well.
Old 11-07-18, 11:02 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out.... how much did the Lexus dealership charge for the inspection??
Old 11-07-18, 02:20 PM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

I found a 2016 GX with only 29k miles on it going for $40k. Wondering if something is wrong with it since that seems really low. Or maybe I'm afraid of being burned again. This one is a Dodge dealer..

Quick Reply: New gx owner!!! But...