GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Impressed with my 2019 GX 460 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 08:30 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Impressed with my 2019 GX 460 Premium

I traded my '17 Ridgeline base FWD for a new GX 460. It's a Premium, white with black NuLuxe. Really liking the NuLuxe, it's really good fake leather. It's soft, not slippery and not sweaty in warm weather. I'm a bit of an old technophobe but the infotainment and nav, considered "outdated" by many is easy for me to learn. It's very much like my '07 LS 460. I've found a few particular likes and dislikes in the two weeks I've had it

Dislikes: The sunglasses holder. The little mirror is too small to be useful and it complicates access to the holder. It's a minor thing and I'll just get used to it.
Theres not much room on the console to set things. First world problems for sure...

Likes: The headlights are great! The low-beams project a good distance, farther than any vehicle I've ever owned. The low beam cut-off is gradual, much better than the sharp cut-off typical with
most HID and LED headlamps. Overly sharp low beam cut-offs tend to leave an inky, impenetrable blackness beyond the light.

That big, under stressed 4.6 V8. I'm an old gear-head and the design features on these engines are interesting. And that huge viscous coupling fan can pull a LOT of air through, even at idle.

I retired from the auto service business six years ago. I was the "go to" guy in our shop for tire and alignment problems. So I knew these vehicles had a tendency to pull or drift to the right, especially on crowned roads. Mine would drift right on a level road. I found a small independent shop with an alignment tech who knew his stuff. He kept the camber at 0 degrees and increased the caster on both sides with .5 degree more on the right. This alignment correction made a big difference. It will drift very slightly left on a level road, but the right pull on crowned roads is negligible now. I then got a trade in on the Bridgestone OE tires and put on a set of Michelin Defender LTX. These tires balanced perfectly, zero vibes at any speed, impressive directional stability and very low noise and harshness levels. With a now proper alignment and tires, this GX now drives perfectly.

I'm loving this old tech, heavy, body on frame, gas slurping SUV! I was behind one yesterday and was pleased to notice it didn't block the view ahead of it nearly as bad as many other SUV's and nearly all full size pick ups.

The following 2 users liked this post by robert1408:
Acrad (11-11-18), ltsr (11-13-18)
Old 11-11-18, 12:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I haven't had any drifting with my '12 but good info for others who might.
Old 11-11-18, 02:43 PM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was under the impression that a 2019 GX460 with the premium pkg came with real leather. Real leather being the most desireable ( to me ) part of the Premium package.
Old 11-11-18, 02:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...X-Brochure.pdf

As of '19 here are Premium combos that can have Nuluxe:

Old 11-11-18, 03:51 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garylbarr
I was under the impression that a 2019 GX460 with the premium pkg came with real leather. Real leather being the most desireable ( to me ) part of the Premium package.

The sticker noted a $1400 discount on the Premium Package with no mention that it's not leather. NuLuxe on a Premium Package is apparently uncommon in my area. Leather sure looks nice and smells great but having had a few cars with leather, I'll take the fake stuff when it's as good as Nuluxe. No worries when somebody grinds a Cheeto into the seat...

Last edited by robert1408; 11-11-18 at 03:52 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-11-18, 04:22 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

As a long term owner of several leather Acura’s and now my leather Lexus. I would prefer durability over leather.
@robert1408, your signature is hilarious
Old 11-11-18, 04:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I bought mine used back in early 2017 and already 5 years old but plan to keep it for at least 20 years. A platform that will be long repairable if it encounters issues unlike so many others. Similar in longevity to a LX, LC, '11+ QX 56/80. I will probably take some heat on this but I'd be ok with a Nissan Patrol as well.
The following users liked this post:
donmatt (11-19-18)
Old 11-13-18, 07:24 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

I too am loving my recently acquired 2019 Black/Black Premium GX460! The NuLuxe is much better than I had anticipated and I prefer it to the leather of previous years.
Old 11-13-18, 09:08 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
I traded my '17 Ridgeline base FWD for a new GX 460. It's a Premium, white with black NuLuxe. Really liking the NuLuxe, it's really good fake leather. It's soft, not slippery and not sweaty in warm weather. I'm a bit of an old technophobe but the infotainment and nav, considered "outdated" by many is easy for me to learn. It's very much like my '07 LS 460. I've found a few particular likes and dislikes in the two weeks I've had it

Dislikes: The sunglasses holder. The little mirror is too small to be useful and it complicates access to the holder. It's a minor thing and I'll just get used to it.
Theres not much room on the console to set things. First world problems for sure...

Likes: The headlights are great! The low-beams project a good distance, farther than any vehicle I've ever owned. The low beam cut-off is gradual, much better than the sharp cut-off typical with
most HID and LED headlamps. Overly sharp low beam cut-offs tend to leave an inky, impenetrable blackness beyond the light.

That big, under stressed 4.6 V8. I'm an old gear-head and the design features on these engines are interesting. And that huge viscous coupling fan can pull a LOT of air through, even at idle.

I retired from the auto service business six years ago. I was the "go to" guy in our shop for tire and alignment problems. So I knew these vehicles had a tendency to pull or drift to the right, especially on crowned roads. Mine would drift right on a level road. I found a small independent shop with an alignment tech who knew his stuff. He kept the camber at 0 degrees and increased the caster on both sides with .5 degree more on the right. This alignment correction made a big difference. It will drift very slightly left on a level road, but the right pull on crowned roads is negligible now. I then got a trade in on the Bridgestone OE tires and put on a set of Michelin Defender LTX. These tires balanced perfectly, zero vibes at any speed, impressive directional stability and very low noise and harshness levels. With a now proper alignment and tires, this GX now drives perfectly.

I'm loving this old tech, heavy, body on frame, gas slurping SUV! I was behind one yesterday and was pleased to notice it didn't block the view ahead of it nearly as bad as many other SUV's and nearly all full size pick ups.
Welcome to the club and congratulations on the purchase. That's good info on the alignment. Mine drifts right and steering wheel off center when new. At 2500 miles now and plan to ask the dealer to address it. If they don't bother to fix it, i'll follow your tips when I get it aligned.
Old 11-14-18, 06:15 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltsr
Welcome to the club and congratulations on the purchase. That's good info on the alignment. Mine drifts right and steering wheel off center when new. At 2500 miles now and plan to ask the dealer to address it. If they don't bother to fix it, i'll follow your tips when I get it aligned.

It's well worth paying for an alignment if the dealer can't fix it. Chain stores and many dealers will only set the toe if caster and camber are within specs. Setting caster and/or camber involves removing some shields to get to the adjustment cams on the lower control arms. The guy I found had never done a GX 460 but he had done several 4Runners and wasn't afraid to pull those shields and crank on those cams. He joked that there's enough adjustment available to make it do a U-turn if you let go of the wheel. He wanted to try setting mine like he does a 4Runner, with left caster 3.3 degrees, right caster 3.8 degrees, camber at 0 degrees on both sides and total toe at .35 degrees positive. It worked! Straight line stability is much improved and the right pull is GONE. The only drawback to increasing caster is a small increase in steering effort, only noticeable if you really look for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by robert1408:
John00 (11-15-18), ltsr (11-14-18)
Old 11-15-18, 06:48 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
As a long term owner of several leather Acura’s and now my leather Lexus. I would prefer durability over leather.
@robert1408, your signature is hilarious
I agree. modern synthetic last much longer than premium leather and is easy to maintain.
Old 12-01-18, 05:48 AM
TXredneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Very good info on the alignment. That’s the kind of little stuff that drives me crazy.
Old 12-01-18, 06:02 AM
DBLex1
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information and glad you’re likening the GX. I have a new to me 2015 that was doing the same thing with the pulling. It’s at the dealer now getting looked at to see if they can fix it.

It seems relatively easy to just add caster to help it track straighter. We’ll see what they say.