GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 09:45 AM
dmasuda
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines a 2014 but I have had issues with the rotors over the last 1.5 years. I'm on my 3rd set.

When I first got the car 1.5 years ago it was fine as the dealer had just machined the rotors. After about 6-8 months they warped and I put on a aftermarket set of rotors. Those lasted maybe 6 months before they warped again.

A few weeks ago, I got OEM ones installed and so far so good. Hopefully they last longer than 6-8 months. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-10-20, 11:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The rotors themselves are not warping. The problem has to do with pad deposits on the surface of the rotors. If you have continued issues get slotted rotors. You can also use slotted / cross drilled but slotted will help elimate pad deposits. And again, bed the brakes in properly after replacing. If you are going through rotors so rapidly it's either a mechanical issue or your driving habits. It's a big heavy vehicle. Don't brake like it's a sports car.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-10-20 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
leftyguns (07-11-20)
Old 07-11-20, 07:25 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats the thing, ive been barely driving and when i do, i drive the speed limit, i always keep my distance so i don't brake quick and hard, i stop gradually which is why i don't understand why they went bad so fast. Pads themselves they said were good, its the rotors that went bad, but they replaced both, pads and rotors so lets see how long they last.
Old 07-13-20, 09:57 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Thats the thing, ive been barely driving and when i do, i drive the speed limit, i always keep my distance so i don't brake quick and hard, i stop gradually which is why i don't understand why they went bad so fast. Pads themselves they said were good, its the rotors that went bad, but they replaced both, pads and rotors so lets see how long they last.
How many miles on your GX and did you buy new? I'm asking because we drive ours similar and changed pads at around 40k (front and rear) and figure that the rotors will be needed the next time pads are needed. I didn't change rotors out because they were still had 1mm of life left.
Old 07-13-20, 04:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If your going through brakes after less then a year, yea its either your style of driving, or something with the brake system. If you are using OE or OEM only then check the calipers. While drilled and slotted may look amazing, they have no purpose on a GX. You want as much surface area on the brakes as you can get.
ASE (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 07:47 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by dmasuda
Mines a 2014 but I have had issues with the rotors over the last 1.5 years. I'm on my 3rd set.

When I first got the car 1.5 years ago it was fine as the dealer had just machined the rotors. After about 6-8 months they warped and I put on a aftermarket set of rotors. Those lasted maybe 6 months before they warped again.

A few weeks ago, I got OEM ones installed and so far so good. Hopefully they last longer than 6-8 months. Fingers crossed.
Based on experience (on any vehicle), machining rotors is not worth the small savings over replacement. The machining process induces residual stresses that relax as the rotor heat cycles in use ... so the "nice and true" machined rotors do not stay "nice and true" for very long. Yes, the extent is influenced by the machining speeds-and-feeds during the turning process ... not something most shops think about too much given their priority is time. Shops always recommend turning rotors to subsidize the cost of their equipment. For me, purchasing new rotors is the only way to go to have "like new" brakes that will perform as if the vehicle were brand new. The only time I live with turned rotors is when the rears cannot be easily removed from the vehicle.
Old 07-20-20, 06:07 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Driving and braking habits greatly affect brake wear. Do you shift down (engine brake) when going down long hills? Is much of your driving city driving - stop and go?
Realize that brake jobs are a super high profit procedure for a dealer or brake shop. You can also determine if your rotors need to be changed or not. Go to YouTube and do a search for, "Should I change my rotors" You'll find a ton of good information.
I had a Lexus dealer tell me that my brakes and rotors needed to be changed, when, in fact, the pads were only ;half worn, and the rotors were as smooth as a baby's butt. Needless to say, I checked the brakes myself and continued to drive with them for another 30,000 miles before I changed them. Note that the brakes on the GX are EXACTLY the same brakes and rotors as you will find on a 4-Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma, and Highlander. Therefore, there is a ton of good information on them and you don't need to take your vehicle to a Lexus dealer, unless you have lots of money to throw away.. If you aren't inclined, or able to change the brakes yourself, then absolutely get a second or third opinion (and estimate) before you have your brakes replaced.
Old 07-20-20, 11:41 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by msgs350
How many miles on your GX and did you buy new? I'm asking because we drive ours similar and changed pads at around 40k (front and rear) and figure that the rotors will be needed the next time pads are needed. I didn't change rotors out because they were still had 1mm of life left.
i just hit 70k miles yesterday, i got it as a CPO with 27k miles on it. With both of my RX350s i would change my brakes at around 30-35k miles. When i picked up GX i had them change brakes for me at Lexus because they were closing on the red zone and at first it lasted me until a little over 60k miles and these new ones failed super quick. lets see how long the replacement will last me now, so far its been good.
Old 07-20-20, 05:29 PM
DJJJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure your ebrake is released when taking off the rear rotor.
Old 07-21-20, 08:54 AM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yurka
Hello, I had an issue with my brakes. At the end of February, 25th of 2020 to be exact, i went to a local Lexus to do my maintenance and i needed to replace my brakes. They replaced my front and rear brakes as well as rotors. During quarantine i wasn't driving much, the car spent most of the time parked. About 2-3 weeks ago i noticed that when im going 40mph and up and then start to brake my steering wheel is jerking left and right and its tough to hold the car straight. I looked up online and most of the pointers were to bad rotors. I went to the dealer since everything is still under warranty, its only been 4 months and i drove about 2500 miles ONLY since then so failing brakes is strange. At the dealer they of course didnt want to believe me until we got on a highway and test drove the car, even then they were blaming it on a sway bar failure and wanted to charge me an arm and the leg for it yet it didnt fall under any of the red flags for a bad sway bar. So after about 6 hours of arguing back and forth with them they took the wheels off and replaced my front rotors and brake pads, the car is ideal after, not even tiny vibrations when i brake. I went to a random car shop on my way home, they looked at the sway bar and said its is good shape, my question is have anyone had their brakes go bad so fast on a GX, it was my 1st time replacing brakes, ive never had an issue, usually ( on my ES and both RX ) they would last me about 2 years with a lot of daily driving. Are GX brakes weaker, should i be looking at upgrading entire brake system from stock, am i doing something wrong on my end? GX is well-maintained, im not a crazy driver so they shouldn't be failing / wearing off so fast or is it possible Lexus just messed up their job to begin with? TIA
Is your car not parked in Garage? If you park outside and left you car without driving it for weeks/months, your rotors can rust from the rain and could be the cause for warping. Same thing can happen if you wash your car or drive in rain and park it in the garage before the rotors are fully dry and not move it for weeks.
Old 07-21-20, 09:02 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iwinvarma
Is your car not parked in Garage? If you park outside and left you car without driving it for weeks/months, your rotors can rust from the rain and could be the cause for warping. Same thing can happen if you wash your car or drive in rain and park it in the garage before the rotors are fully dry and not move it for weeks.
... superficial rust on the surface of the rotors will not cause warping.
tonyjh63 (07-24-20)
Old 07-23-20, 09:27 PM
AzAL
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ASE is right, surface rust will not cause warping, excessive heat is the culprit
tonyjh63 (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 08:14 AM
ASE
Pole Position

I have owned many "Toyotas" ... 4-Runner's (4) ... Sequoia (1) ... FJ Cruiser (1) ... GX470 (1) ... GX 460 (1) ... and ALL experienced the rotors warping to varying degrees, especially near the end of pad life. I have found the following minimizes, or at least delays rotor warping closer to the end of pad life ...
  1. Make sure new pads are "bedded" properly.
  2. Never use turned rotors ... use new rotors with each pad replacement (specifically the fronts).
  3. On long downhill descents, use engine braking to avoid overheating the brakes.
  4. Do not conclude slowing to a stop with the brakes "grabbing" to a halt ... back off on the brake pedal for a smooth transitional halt.
  5. Avoid hard braking and panic stops.
  6. Maintain tire balance.
Lexus OEM rotors can be found at 30% discount from many Lexus dealerships on the internet ... free shipping and no sales tax ... so no need to pay local dealership the full retail price, or even worse, live with (soon to be warped) turned rotors.

Last edited by ASE; 07-24-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-24-20, 08:49 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Surface rust on the rotor/pad mating surfaces usually is wiped away after driving and using the brakes. Crazy rust after weeks of non use, under some really 1 in a million condition may cause this to not be true. In that case tire off and check the braking system in general.

Vibrations or scrapping noises may occur if the rotor hat has rusted (uncoated rotors) or if the vents have some weird rusting spots that are coming in contact with the brake shield or other hardware.

Old 07-27-20, 07:29 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

i don't know what the f is going on with my GX, as previously mentioned, 2 weeks ago replaced my pads and rotors, brand new again at the dealer, last night i was driving in the city, going 20-25 mph and was slowing down coming to the red light, maybe from half a block, there was 1 car already standing at the light, closer to that car im realizing my truck isn't slowing down in time as it should so i step a little more on the brake and i get slip indicator light on my dashboard, had to quickly release and reapply brakes and then it stopped. I don't know if this is because ive been driving non stop yesterday, i did a 450 mile trip with just 1 stop to fill up or what but this is seriously some bull**** happening with my brakes ever since i originally replaced them in February and then again two weeks ago due to failing rotors.Going to the dealer tomorrow, lets see what they say this time.
P.S. answers to previous posts
- no rust
- parked outside
- equal tire pressure everywhere plus perfectly balanced tires
- do not have a heavy foot
- mostly highway driven, i say 80% of the time

Quick Reply: Rotors