GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 08:12 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,072 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
i don't know what the f is going on with my GX, as previously mentioned, 2 weeks ago replaced my pads and rotors, brand new again at the dealer, last night i was driving in the city, going 20-25 mph and was slowing down coming to the red light, maybe from half a block, there was 1 car already standing at the light, closer to that car im realizing my truck isn't slowing down in time as it should so i step a little more on the brake and i get slip indicator light on my dashboard, had to quickly release and reapply brakes and then it stopped. I don't know if this is because ive been driving non stop yesterday, i did a 450 mile trip with just 1 stop to fill up or what but this is seriously some bull**** happening with my brakes ever since i originally replaced them in February and then again two weeks ago due to failing rotors.Going to the dealer tomorrow, lets see what they say this time.
P.S. answers to previous posts
- no rust
- parked outside
- equal tire pressure everywhere plus perfectly balanced tires
- do not have a heavy foot
- mostly highway driven, i say 80% of the time
... so new Rotors (not turned) and Pads ? Was the pedal pressure an issue before the incident described above ?
Old 07-28-20, 12:51 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
... so new Rotors (not turned) and Pads ? Was the pedal pressure an issue before the incident described above ?
no pedal seemed fine, its like brakes weren't grabbing, thats the best i could describe, ill see what they tell me tomorrow at the dealer because this has not been good with brakes, never had anything remotely similar to this
Old 07-28-20, 07:16 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Possibly air in the brake lines? Maybe replace all the fluid and bleed them again?
Old 07-28-20, 08:01 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yurka
no pedal seemed fine, its like brakes weren't grabbing, thats the best i could describe, ill see what they tell me tomorrow at the dealer because this has not been good with brakes, never had anything remotely similar to this
Assuming the brakes were not overheated when this occurred ... from your description, sounds like the brake pads are "glazed". Possible that the new rotors were not properly cleaned of protective film prior to installation and/or the new brake pads were not "bedded" properly after installation.

Rotor Wash US English NB11020(1).pdf

Last edited by ASE; 07-28-20 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 09:19 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJJJ
Make sure your ebrake is released when taking off the rear rotor.
[QUOTE]Very good advice. If you have the parking brake on, you'll either not be able to pull the rear rotor(s) off, or, if you do pull them off, you'll also pull off all the parking brake hardware. And, reinstalling the parking brake hardware is a major pain.
Old 07-28-20, 09:24 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

You have air in your brake lines and the air needs to be bled out of the lines. When you have air in your lines, it feels like you are stepping on a thick sponge, rather than a solid brake. Take it back to the place that did your brake work and tell them to bleed your brake lines.
Old 07-28-20, 09:28 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Excellent braking tips. All the vehicles you listed above use exactly the same brake pads and rotors.
Old 07-28-20, 09:29 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kroorda
You have air in your brake lines and the air needs to be bled out of the lines. When you have air in your lines, it feels like you are stepping on a thick sponge, rather than a solid brake. Take it back to the place that did your brake work and tell them to bleed your brake lines.
OP said "pedal felt fine" ... so not air in the brake lines, otherwise OP would have said "spongy".
Old 07-28-20, 09:33 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

As others' indicated, rust will not warp your rotors. Only heat will warp your rotors. Obviously, a heavy foot, or resting your left foot on the brake can cause heat. Also, you might need to lubricate the sliders on the sides of your brake pads. (Without lubrication, the pads will stick and that will cause heat).
Old 08-27-20, 02:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,407 Posts

Vid1

Vid2 (4R)

Vid3 (4R)

Last edited by Acrad; 09-27-20 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-27-20, 05:51 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 85 Posts

I like how he's using that little wrench to break the caliper bolts...

I've ordered new OEM rotors and pads last week. My rotors were machined at 50k, but now I'm getting some pretty good vibrations with soft pressure so it's time to refresh.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-27-20)
Old 11-22-20, 12:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,407 Posts

Front

Rear

Last edited by Acrad; 11-22-20 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 06:30 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 85 Posts

Those are good videos, especially for the rear. The other tutorial I've seen on CL mentions using the threaded bolts to remove the rear rotor without backing off the ebrake shoes, which is a bad idea. I've cracked a seized rotor using those bolt holes, so if they don't turn easily and create movement on the rotor then it is still too tight. Try loosening the ebrake a bit more, or whack the rotor a few times with a rubber sledge. If you can pull the rear rotors off without backing off the ebrake then it is probably an indication that your ebrake isn't adjusted properly.
Besides counting your clicks on the adjusting gear, you can also adjust the ebrake by tightening the adjuster until you cannot turn the rotor, and then back off the gear 2-3 times so that you can turn the rotor, but it's "snug" on the shoes.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-23-20)
Old 03-31-21, 04:51 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasAg
Sorry for the late reply! TRD Front: PTR09-89111 TRD Rear: PTR09-89110. Been working great for several months!
Still enjoying these? Did you match with new OEM rotors? Considering this setup at my next brake job and would like to have parts on hand in case machining turns out (pun intended) as short lived as some preach. For $50 and almost 32mm on these used rotors, worth a try tho!
Old 05-20-21, 01:09 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rotor upgrade

Hi all,
I want to upgrade my rotors and brake pads to z36 powerstop brand. one of my friend suggested this for towing purposes. I want to tow a trailer of 4500 pounds. I asked some independant shop. they are charging $560 for the four rotor and brake pad upgrade labor.
Please let me know whether that is worth the upgrade. Would dealer do this work? I want to give to a shop who just does right so they do not mess up anything.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rotors