GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 04:47 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Squeal after Rotors Turned

My 2016 GX has 29,XXX miles on it. About 300 miles ago (mid June), the dealership turned the front rotors due to a brake shimmy. Ever since the rotors were turned, at random times, I've started to get a rhythmic squeal around 30 miles an hour. The sound is like a dry bearing (metal on metal squeal). With the windows up, it's almost imperceptible. It does not happen every time I drive. It seems to come an go.

If I lightly touch the brake pedal the noise goes away completely. If I am going faster than that speed the noise goes away. I know it is brake related and lightly pressing the brake pedal stops the noise.

Is this brake dust? Did the tech not grease the pad and slides when he put it back together? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Old 07-17-18, 07:07 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Did it start squealing immediately after? If not, I'd hose the brakes/down when they are cool and try to get some dust out of them and see if it quiets them. If not, that's the benefit of the dealer, ask them to double check.
Old 07-17-18, 03:15 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

it took while before it started squealing. Kind of why I’m suspecting brake dust.
Old 07-17-18, 04:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 867 Likes on 601 Posts

So the brake pads were not replaced at the same time the rotors were cut? These two go together and the pads have uneven wear with the rotor warp.
It seems counterproductive to turn the rotors without replacing the pads.

Old 07-17-18, 07:12 PM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Standard dealership crap, the pads should have been replaced when the rotors were turned. If they didn't then I would be on the phone with the service manager and they'd be doing the whole job over again for free.
Old 07-18-18, 03:33 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

This I why I look to the forum for advice. I will call the dealership today.
Old 07-20-18, 01:03 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Brakes pads rotors

i didn't see any dedicated thread for this or maybe I missed it.
Time to change my brakes.
What are folks here using.
Thought about oem rotors and using hawk HP HB490P.665 superduty brake pads on front and rears.
anyone do this or do you all go with OEM pads
Old 07-20-18, 06:59 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

While I swear by OEM for pretty much everything, for brakes I make an exception. I don't ever turn my rotors, I just replace them when I do pads. Rotors are pretty cheap. For rotors, I only use Centric premiums. They have the black painted hat area that looks pretty sharp. For pads, I like Akebono Performance Ceramic Pads or Power Stop Evolution Sport Pads.

All of this is readily available from RockAuto, just make sure you find one of their coupon codes online. The fronts are still pretty fresh on my GX, but I will be doing the rears once the weather cools down a bit...
Old 07-20-18, 12:07 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

i just buy the most expensive pads that come with lifetime warranty at NAPA, this GX is only a few components away from being the lifetime warranty mobile. Lol
Old 07-20-18, 02:00 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Replaced my pads a few thousand miles ago, went OEM. Didn't touch the rotors. Brakes feel great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...0/231739122903

Next time I will also pickup a set of the OEM shims, but I reused the old ones and they are still doing fine.

Make sure you use plenty of grease.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-22-18, 07:40 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

THANKS. Im just going to use OEM pads and rotors.
Old 07-23-18, 05:47 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
I have Hawk HB490Y.665 which I think is also ferro carbon, whenever they get hot, they squeal like crazy. They do stop much better than the factory pads and dust just as badly. I'd love to find something better on the next set of pads but I think I need stainless steel lines to be happy.
Old 07-23-18, 07:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
May I ask "how many miles do you have on your original pads and rotors"? What are the symptoms that you're experiencing (prompting you to replace them)?

My '15 is at 33k miles now and normally it brakes fine but when braking from high speed (50-60mph) I feel vibrations from the steering wheel and some pulsing from my foot. Is it time?
Old 07-23-18, 08:04 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
May I ask "how many miles do you have on your original pads and rotors"? What are the symptoms that you're experiencing (prompting you to replace them)?

My '15 is at 33k miles now and normally it brakes fine but when braking from high speed (50-60mph) I feel vibrations from the steering wheel and some pulsing from my foot. Is it time?
Vibration while braking could be a few things, one of which could be slightly warped rotors (just one or more).

If you're still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer.
Old 07-23-18, 12:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Probaby uneven pad deposits, at your own peril and keeping safety in mind, you can hypothetically try to rebed those brakes and see if the pad grinds down those spots, for everyone else I`d wager dealership and either replacement rotors or cutting the rotors on a lathe will work just fine.

Quick Reply: Rotors