GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 10:01 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

I didn't expect the clear bra to take the impact, just saying that I was pissed about having to fix the bumper and put a new clear bra on. I didn't go through insurance because I had a freebee since I was accident free for so long and didn't want to use it up on this since it wasn't too much to fix. Good thing too because I just used my freebee up recently and it was my fault (luckily no damage to my car) so my insurance will not go up because of it.
Old 08-14-13, 09:58 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do clearbras stand up to car washes and machines?
Old 08-15-13, 05:32 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
My vehicles have NEVER been through a car wash! ALL car washes will scratch your vehicle. Actually, no matter how you wash your vehicle, you are scratching the finish but auto car washes are the worst. I would think a car wash would wear/damage the bra (over time), especially around the edges.

Koz
Old 08-15-13, 06:02 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Mine has held up perfectly for the last year, I do the Automatic car wash at minimum of 2 times a week since new.
Old 08-15-13, 06:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I don't do automatic car washes except when it is at the dealer and haven't had a problem in the 10+ years I have had clear bras.

One thing to consider when looking at clear bras is the type of clear bra you want. I happened to call my clear bra installer yesterday who I have worked with since I started using clear bras about adding some things and we had a conversation on the different films out there. Not all are created equal.

Ventureshield - Easy to install, no clearcoat and therefore no orangepeel look so you can't tell it is there but is does not protect against the elements as well.

3M scotchguard - Harder to install, has clearcoat on the film and has an orangepeel look but protects better against the elements.

Expel - Has the benefits of both above, no orangepeel and has clearcoat that is self healing which is supposed to work great. However it is harder to install so that adds to the cost.

My installer uses all three depending on the customers wants and says the Expel is a game changer in the industry although the longevity questions are unanswered since it is newer than the other two.

Do a search on these and make a decision for yourself which you would prefer.
Old 08-15-13, 07:19 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I don't do automatic car washes except when it is at the dealer and haven't had a problem in the 10+ years I have had clear bras.

One thing to consider when looking at clear bras is the type of clear bra you want. I happened to call my clear bra installer yesterday who I have worked with since I started using clear bras about adding some things and we had a conversation on the different films out there. Not all are created equal.

Ventureshield - Easy to install, no clearcoat and therefore no orangepeel look so you can't tell it is there but is does not protect against the elements as well.

3M scotchguard - Harder to install, has clearcoat on the film and has an orangepeel look but protects better against the elements.

Expel - Has the benefits of both above, no orangepeel and has clearcoat that is self healing which is supposed to work great. However it is harder to install so that adds to the cost.

My installer uses all three depending on the customers wants and says the Expel is a game changer in the industry although the longevity questions are unanswered since it is newer than the other two.

Do a search on these and make a decision for yourself which you would prefer.
Great writeup patgilm. I spoke with one company that uses Xpel Ultimate so we'll see what happens. Could be 1500+. I got another tiny knick on my hood. The vehicle sits so high up that I seem to get every rock hit out there with the car in front of me. And, being in Los Angeles, every road is screwed up here. Meaning, the ground is all broken up with cracks and tiny cement pieces ready to hit your finish.
Old 08-15-13, 08:58 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Ventureshield does have a urethane clear-coat and is not easy to work with because it is thick (8mil). It's so good 3M had to eliminate the competition by buying ventureshield!

BTW - The higher the vehicle the less ding/chips.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 08-16-13 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-15-13, 11:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

^^ From a search on the web it seems like its is the easiest to install since it is the most flexible.
Old 08-15-13, 03:10 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do touchless car wash about once a week and so far had no issues with a clear bra.
Old 11-12-13, 09:52 PM
KickinA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GX 460 3M bra?

Has anyone gotten the 3M bra for their GX 460? I didn't get at the $tealer as they where asking 1K, and I thought that was too expensive for something I had not done adequate research on yet.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the 3M bra worth it to get? or is it gimmick?
2) If it is valuable, what areas should be covered?
3) what is the good price to have stuff installed?

thanks!
Old 11-13-13, 03:29 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bra

I have one on my GX. I recommend getting one. It should cover everything forward facing.

$700 sounds about right...
Old 11-13-13, 06:10 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
I have one on my GX. I recommend getting one. It should cover everything forward facing.

$700 sounds about right...
I agree with the above, I negioated the dealer down from $1,100.00 to $700.00 at time of purchase.
Old 11-13-13, 06:28 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely get one! I did not on my previous car and I regret it as I watch front end getting damage from road debris and bugs and what not. Eventually I end up doing it to stop further damage from occuring anyways.

I got my GX clear bra before I took delivery and drove it home for that reason. After a year the front is spotless. Also it doesn't make you cringe as much when you are behind some big truck on a highway and stuff flyin off of it right into the front of your car. So for me it also adds some piece of mind. The prices will differ on whether it's a pre cut or custom kit. Definitely get the whole front covered including the bumper.
Old 11-22-13, 06:20 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not do it. How long are you really going to keep your GX? Will these non-factory covers yellow in a few years? Who knows.
Old 11-22-13, 07:00 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tnorling
I would not do it. How long are you really going to keep your GX? Will these non-factory covers yellow in a few years? Who knows.
I'll keep my GX to 100K, if it yellows you peel it off, no big deal, then you have good paint there so you can reapply or just have a real clean front end. My mother has it on her 2009 ES and it has not yellowed at all, looks as good as the day it was applied.

I'll never drive another new vehicle off the lot without it again.

Quick Reply: Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns