GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 08:05 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnorling
I would not do it. How long are you really going to keep your GX? Will these non-factory covers yellow in a few years? Who knows.
Mine never did, we have a 2004 Sequoia that has not yellowed at all. Some of the edges peeled a touch but that's it. For the sake of a few hundred bucks, why wouldn't you? Any number of things could happen that would make you keep your GX, it may be such a good car that you hand it down to your children or something. Don't be short sighted.
Old 11-28-13, 07:40 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You can have a GOOD tint/bra shop put the same thing (or better) on for around $500.... including front hood, headlights, & mirrors.
Old 11-30-13, 04:18 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KickinA
Has anyone gotten the 3M bra for their GX 460? I didn't get at the $tealer as they where asking 1K, and I thought that was too expensive for something I had not done adequate research on yet.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the 3M bra worth it to get? or is it gimmick?
2) If it is valuable, what areas should be covered?
3) what is the good price to have stuff installed?

thanks!
It is actually a clear bra. 3M is one line of films out there... and one of the lower end films. Go with either Suntek or Xpel Ultimate as they are self healing and much smoother than 3M. As far as coverage the bumper, partial hood/fenders, lights, and mirrors is a good start for the front end. Lexus paint is VERY soft and will chip quickly, so its a good investment for the vehicle.
Old 08-07-14, 02:12 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 22ple VX1 or clear bra or both?

planning on clear bra-ing most of the gx.

Is VX1 worth it? I would think the clear film is more protective?
http://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-M...P681/20-ml-S1/
Old 08-08-14, 02:58 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

installed a 3m clear bra a couple of weeks ago prior to a cross country trip but skipped on the windshield protection. Just thought it might get in way of clarity. Might be worthwhile if you live in area where there are a lot of dust or drive many miles in the highway where the car is subjected to debree.
Old 08-08-14, 06:54 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely let us know what you find out... I'd think that the order of protection would be (from best to worse):

1. Clear bra the whole vehicle ($$$ and needs very good installer)
2. Clear bra the front + coat the rest of the vehicle (should be a lot less $ compared to #1?)
3. Just clear bra the front
4. Just coat the whole vehicle
Old 08-08-14, 08:11 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i am getting the xpel ultimate stuff. The whole hood fender and doors for about $1500.
I was going to do bumper myself and some other smaller precut parts.
so far, may cost close to $2000

did not coat vehicle yet with PPE and may not. I think clear film is more protective
Old 08-08-14, 09:35 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All you need is clear bra on the front, the fronts of your mirrors, the front of your rear fender and a little bit under the door handles. That's the most protection you will need. I drive in gravel year round in Canada and that gives me 100% protection given the way debris comes at me
Old 08-08-14, 10:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i am getting the xpel ultimate stuff. The whole hood fender and doors for about $1500.
I was going to do bumper myself and some other smaller precut parts.
so far, may cost close to $2000

did not coat vehicle yet with PPE and may not. I think clear film is more protective
Good choice on the Xpel ultimate. I have had 3M on all of my vehicles including my current GX and had Xpel Ultimate on the GTR and there is no comparison, Xpel is way better and no orange peel. From my research and discussions with installers, Suntek film is also very good.
Old 08-08-14, 10:55 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the Xpel installed on my front bumper, hood, fenders, and mirror caps. Worth every penny in Love Bug Land! The material is fantastic. Especially on White.

Randy B
Old 12-08-18, 12:47 PM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns

We are new owners of a 2015 GX460 Luxury. The previous owner had installed 3M film on the front. After trading the car in, the dealer removed some of the film--the big section in the front to the left and right of the grille. This left the hood film, mirror film and some other odd pieces in place. I am considering having the film redone, although I have not had much of a paint chip problem on previous vehicles. The reason is that there is huge amount of paint on the front of this vehicle!

Cost for new film (XPEL Ultimate) is about $1500 including removal of the old film. I am looking for some wisdom from more experienced GX owners. Do most owners apply film or have you been fine just leaving it alone? Thanks.
Old 12-08-18, 01:23 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I had Suntek Ultra installed on the entire front end for around the same price. I believe I posted about it if you search. Not sure how the roads are in CA but here in the NorthEast aka the pothole capital of the world, flying rock chips are basically a part of the morning commute. Amplify that with the highway construction zones that hang around for decades and it is only a matter of time before one can ruin your day. After a few paint corrections on my Benz it was an easy decision for me to go with the ppf on the GX.

I've had it on over a year now and stopped counting after about 10 rock impacts post install. Once was large enough to crack my windshield but the spot on my hood where it bounced prior to impact just had a minor scuff that the shop got back to new with a heat gun. It's a fantastic product.
Old 12-08-18, 02:18 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 3M PPF on my GX as well. (hood, headlights, a-pillar, mirror caps, and under the door handles) Are you sure you had film to the left and right of the grill originally? Personally, had it not come with this I would not have put it on for the prices they want for XPEL specifically. I would just repaint the front end and or hood if it really got bad enough with the rock chips.
Old 12-08-18, 02:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

I wish I would have done protective coating when I bought my used GX. I don't care about resale but just a FYI repainting a car can be a bad thing for resale value.
Old 12-08-18, 09:27 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

PPF is a no brainer for me - I've had it on every car for the past 10+ years!

Quick Reply: Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns