GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 09:12 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

@LexusAC2022 I had the full vehicle wrap with XPEL Ultimate Fusion on my 2022 GX460, including headlight protection - it was $10,200.00 (pricey). I believe the Ultimate Plus is a bit less costly. I budgeted for this to be done when I was thinking about buying my GX - and I plan on keeping the vehicle until it dies.

I made the decision to go with XPEL full vehicle wrap based upon doing the same thing on my 2013 Audi A7 which I purchased it in 2012. Paint still looked great when I sold it in 2022.

One more thing, I had my XPEL installed at the XPEL shop in Houston - XPEL has been excellent to work with - when one edge lifted up a bit, they replaced the whole panel at no charge to me. 10 year warranty on my XPEL.
Old 08-05-23, 11:01 AM
LexusAC2022
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@SEELEXUS Thanks for your input. Based on the quote I received it was $6K for full front, a-pillar, section on the roof between sunroof and windshield, rockers, fenders, luggage area on rear bumper, and exoshield for the windshield. This includes paint correction and ceramic coat for surfaces where the PPF will be placed. It's pricey especially for a reputable installer. It will either be XPEL or Suntek reaction although the Suntek is a 15% premium over the XPEL. XPEL has a 10YR warranty and the Suntek has 12 YRs. If it will last that long, then I may end up doing the entire car.
Old 08-05-23, 11:15 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow that is rather expensive but mostly based on your location. I had my Tesla Plaid done in Suntek Reaction on the whole car for $4,800 and could’ve used regular Suntek Ultra for $4,000. Reaction is more because it basically has ceramic coating built in so you aren’t supposed to put ceramic on top of it. personally don’t think Reaction is worth the premium and would rather put ceramic on top of the Ultra film which I have on my GTR which I also did the entire car.

On my X7 I did the full front clip plus the rockers and above the windshield for about $1,500.

I’ve had both Xpel and Suntek and I personally prefer Suntek but both are excellent.
Old 08-05-23, 11:32 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

@LexusAC2022 The XPEL I put on my 2013 Audi A7 had a 5 year warranty (they didn't offer 10 year warranties back then). After 10 years of ownership, there were no issues with the film or the paint finish.

Around year 5 of ownership, the Audi back bumper was hit in a parking lot (slow speed impact). Still, there was some body work and the XPEL had to be removed in the back area so the Audi could be painted in the repaired areas. After the repair the XPEL was reapplied. My insurance paid for everything / less my deductible. Couldn't tell the original XPEL from the new XPEL.

I don't have any experience with Suntek - so I can't make a comparison between the two PPFs.

Personally, I think the paint on vehicles today is too soft / it is prone to chipping and scratching (especially German vehicles like BMW and Audi). The PPF really fixes that issue with the paint.

Also, I feel the routine for maintaining the car finish (i.e., washing) is MUCH simpler with a PPF like XPEL. I also don't worry about the occasional bird or sap droppings on my GX. I had one instance on the Audi where I had to leave it out in the open for a week (at an airport parking lot) and when I came back, there were multiple large (bird) droppings on the roof and hood. I washed them off and it looked like there were etchings in the XPEL where the droppings had been. I left the vehicle in the sun per XPEL's recommendation and those etchings disappeared. (this is the reason I have PPF on the roof of the GX -- for the hard to notice "bird droppings" issue).

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice either way.