GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Shipping my new gx

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-18, 06:34 PM
Camdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shipping my new gx

I owned a 2010 TR4 limited and drove it 200k before selling. That was almost 2 years ago and I have missed it. I have a 2011 gx premium being shipped that has 125k.

What will I’ll I appreciate and what will I miss from the limited 4Runner?

Thanks to anyone who responds
Old 12-25-18, 06:42 PM
mgs1995
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll love the V8; it sounds great and has decent power. I cross-shopped 4Runner when I chose my 2012 GX. We liked the interior of the GX much better. It seemed more lux. The tri-zone climate and heated back seats are nice too (if you regularly have rear passengers). Not sure what would be missing. The premium has most all of the toys like crawl control and air suspension doesn't it?
Old 12-25-18, 06:50 PM
Camdog
Driver School Candidate

Yes it actually has more off road tech and more interior tech. Not worried other than people saying it’s heavy and tippy. Can’t wait to drive it. It’s old enough I’m going to get it dirty and see how it handles. I’ve got lots of land here in MO to find out.
Old 12-25-18, 07:03 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

I also had a few 4runners before my GX. The increased weight gives a smoother ride, especially if you put it into the comfort mode. Quieter also, notice it on a long ride. My 4runner didn't have ventilated seats or a heater steering wheel and I like them.
Old 12-26-18, 12:34 AM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdog
it’s heavy and tippy
It’s a great truck, I like it more each time I drive it. Own 2011 ultra premium since November of this year.

As for tippy, I drove Ford Expedition for last 5yrs for work, that truck felt tippy and sketchy as hell on turns. The GX imo handles very well, matter of fact took a day trip to Sierra Tahoe today,GX handled great and it hauled ***. I did have to use sport mode though to keep it from upshifting.

Electronic throttle controller makes the car feel more sluggish than it actually is. Few times was messing with cruise controll, when this thing downshifted and accelerated it reminded me of my 2006 Charger Daytona that I’ve sold few months ago.
Old 12-26-18, 03:59 AM
mgs1995
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think it’s tippy. The KDSS keeps things level even in sharp curves.
Old 12-26-18, 04:10 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Agree..KDSS does give you cornering feel a vehicle it’s size shouldn’t have.

Pedal Commander is a viable option if anyone has issues with throttle response. It seems to have somehow tamed my overly aggressive cruise control on the hills where it would drop two gears to maintain speed previously. Seems to be far more linear now. This is like ECO -4.

Old 12-26-18, 01:03 PM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

I also was looking at Limited 4Runners at the same time as the GX. Glad I got the GX since they were running about the same price and the Limited 4Runners are in short supply. I'm very glad I got the GX. The gas mileage is a little better for the 4Runner, but it's recommended that you use premium gas for the GX. It's about 30 cents a gallon more but it's worth it. The only gripe I have is that the GX has 18" wheels compared to the Limited 4Runner's 20's. It's more roomy inside and much more luxury in the GX. I have the Mark Levinson sound system so it really sounds good.

In the end, you will probably forget all about the 4Runner and enjoy your GX.
Old 12-26-18, 02:26 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

same wheel base but the gx feels more plush, quieter and slightly less road and engine noise.
by cargo volume, I believe the tr4 has a bit more room but similar overall.
I don't think I can drive the gx like I would drive a tr4 and will be less inclined to push to limits...can't explain why though.
V8 is butter like others have mentioned and while bit thirsty I would gladly trade for the additional horses in the mtn passes fully loaded.
V8 is a pleasure to drive long distances.
Overall for the price difference between the limited tr4 vs the gx premium, I can't think of much you will miss.
Old 12-26-18, 02:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yes it actually has more off road tech and more interior tech. Not worried other than people saying it’s heavy and tippy. Can’t wait to drive it. It’s old enough I’m going to get it dirty and see how it handles. I’ve got lots of land here in MO to find out.

Are you going to add crawl control and MTS?
Old 12-26-18, 06:13 PM
Camdog
Driver School Candidate

It already has crawl control. Not sure what MTS is but if it was an option in 2011 I think it has it from what I can tell. Someone put F-Sport badges and wheels on it as well. I like the wheels but don't care for the badges.
Old 12-26-18, 06:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It already has crawl control. Not sure what MTS is but if it was an option in 2011 I think it has it from what I can tell. Someone put F-Sport badges and wheels on it as well. I like the wheels but don't care for the badges.
MTS (Multi Terrain Select) wasn't available in US but you can install it.

Sounds like you have one of the rare Premium models with Radar Cruise, Lane Departure, Automatic High Beams, front & side cameras

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10095162

Some of the variations above were for 10-13... whereas '14+ they put them all on there and just called it Driver Support Package.

Here is thread if you want to install MTS and what it is... ~$135 for the '10-'13 models.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-control.html
Old 12-31-18, 09:44 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still own my 2005 4th gen 4Runner Limited - my daughter drives it now (and loves it!). I drove it for about 10 years until I bought my GX. The only thing I miss is the swing up tailgate and the auto rear window. Hard to have 2-3 people standing around the GX tailgate trying to put their stream fishing gear on.
Old 01-01-19, 05:17 PM
Camdog
Driver School Candidate

Default What do you think of a the wheels?

Old 01-02-19, 09:15 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

The wheels look good! It is not common to see Sport wheels on '10-13 models but it looks good. Are you looking to change them out?
Nice color, hide scratches and bird poops really well LOL.

Quick Reply: Shipping my new gx