2014 Lexus GX460 Stuck on loading Screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 08:52 PM
lexus14gxr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus GX460 Stuck on loading Screen

Hello,

I have a 2014 Lexus GX460 base model. I do not have a navigation system on this certain model. Recently, I have encountered an issue that I thought would eventually go away but has not.

My vehicle's screen which has the climate control, audio, weather, etc controls is stuck on a loading screen which I have never seen before. I have tried doing a reboot by holding down the volume button, but it just returns to me loading screen which is in an endless cycle. I have tried researching as much as possible to see if any other owners have encountered a similar issue, and I have only seen one other thread on this site where an owner with the exact same year, model (base GX460) has had the exact same issue. I am completely lost as to what to do.

Additionally, I brought it out to my local Lexus dealership and they attempted to reset it or something, but that did not work. They told me they have never seen this issue before which is extremely worrying to me. They told me they pretty much have no idea what to do to fix it and they proposed replacing the whole screen system for approximately $2000. This is an extremely frustrating issue as this screen is responsible for many functions of the vehicle, and I honestly would not like to spend the $2000 if I can avoid it as it does not even seem to be an issue with the screen. Furthermore, the back up camera actually shows up on the screen. I am confused, because I figured if the screen was broken then the back up camera function would not work either, but this still does. Have any other owners experienced a similar issue and been able to resolve it?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 04:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Unfortunately, you may have a "rare" and defective infotainment unit. I believe camera switching can occur at a higher level outside of the rest of the infotainment unit operation.

Have you disconnected the vehicle batter for at least 10 minutes?

I assume these diagnostics are also unavailable to access.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...agnostics.html
Old 12-27-18, 05:21 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus14gxr
Hello,

I have a 2014 Lexus GX460 base model. I do not have a navigation system on this certain model. Recently, I have encountered an issue that I thought would eventually go away but has not.

My vehicle's screen which has the climate control, audio, weather, etc controls is stuck on a loading screen which I have never seen before. I have tried doing a reboot by holding down the volume button, but it just returns to me loading screen which is in an endless cycle. I have tried researching as much as possible to see if any other owners have encountered a similar issue, and I have only seen one other thread on this site where an owner with the exact same year, model (base GX460) has had the exact same issue. I am completely lost as to what to do.

Additionally, I brought it out to my local Lexus dealership and they attempted to reset it or something, but that did not work. They told me they have never seen this issue before which is extremely worrying to me. They told me they pretty much have no idea what to do to fix it and they proposed replacing the whole screen system for approximately $2000. This is an extremely frustrating issue as this screen is responsible for many functions of the vehicle, and I honestly would not like to spend the $2000 if I can avoid it as it does not even seem to be an issue with the screen. Furthermore, the back up camera actually shows up on the screen. I am confused, because I figured if the screen was broken then the back up camera function would not work either, but this still does. Have any other owners experienced a similar issue and been able to resolve it?

Thanks!
The Lexus info system consists of two part, the top "multi-display unit" and lower "Radio,Nav(if equipped) and A/C control unit". Your backup camera will work as long as the top portion is functional. Indoor case, it is certainly the control unit malfunction. There has been a recall on the unit which some of the units exhibited re-booting problem, but not sure if your specific situation as I recall the recall has stated with Nav option. The only other option left for you would be looking for local junkyard to find a replacement part with reasonable costs.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 12:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Looks like the lower part new is around $1500 for a base model.