Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Congratulations on your new toy!! Happy New Year!! 😊👍
Old 01-31-19, 04:18 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Definitely do PPF and ceramic especially if you are keeping the car for several years. With PPF they can also cover the headlights, mirrors, and door handle cavity as well. The latter is something most don't consider but you wind up with a lot of scratches there over time.

Also get it done ASAP while the vehicle is still in prestine condition.
Where do you get the ceramic coating and paint protection film done in Houston? Any recommendation?

Thank you,
Old 01-31-19, 07:07 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Take care of it and enjoy it! It will last you a LONG time!
Old 02-01-19, 06:47 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k

Where do you get the ceramic coating and paint protection film done in Houston? Any recommendation?

Thank you,
@Options2k I used Personal Touch - http://personaltouchdetailer.com/

I've been using them on all my vehicles for over 10 years now and they have consistently done a great job at a reasonable price. Best part is they are mobile and they come to you.
Old 02-01-19, 08:11 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Soap
I have the 3M PPF protection pieces on mine as well as 3 coats of kenzo ceramic coating. While the ceramic coating will not protect against rock chips it will help with light scratch protection but most importantly will make cleaning it a breeze. Congratulations on your purchase.
Time for a stupid question: What is 3M PPF, what is PPF definition? What is Kenzo ceramic coating or perhaps, what is ceramic coating?
Where is the ceramic coating applied? Are you guys referring to window tint?
I'm interested because I can't garage my GX and I'd like any extra protection I can from the elements and any off-road trails I'm on.
Old 02-01-19, 12:58 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
Time for a stupid question: What is 3M PPF, what is PPF definition? What is Kenzo ceramic coating or perhaps, what is ceramic coating?
Where is the ceramic coating applied? Are you guys referring to window tint?
I'm interested because I can't garage my GX and I'd like any extra protection I can from the elements and any off-road trails I'm on.
Not a stupid question - many are not aware.

PPF = Paint Protection Film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_protection_film PPF protects your paint from rock chips and other corrosive damage like bugs and tree sap. Majority of the time people apply it to the hood and fenders though I've heard of people applying it to the whole vehicle as well (mostly exotic cars).

Ceramic Coating - https://www.detailingwiki.org/protec...-is-a-coating/ . While Ceramic Coating also offers your paint protection, it's more analogous to the type of protection you'll get from a really good wax, but for much longer (think 3 years vs 3 weeks). It tends to help reduce swirls and simplifies the exterior cleaning maintenance of your vehicle. Washing will go much faster and no need to apply any wax afterwards.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive by any means. I've applied both to my vehicle.
Old 02-07-19, 08:02 PM
CanGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
New Canadian soon-to-be owner of a 2019 GX Executive. Do you recommend the PPF be done at the dealer or elsewhere? Also, I’m deciding between Sepia or Black interior colour. Does the black show scratches easier? The Sepia sample looked a bit depressing on the small sample I saw in the showroom, but wonder if it’s easier to keep clean, not show wear. Also, the Canadian version referred to as Executive is comparable to the US version of Luxury, I believe. I didn’t see any reference in the Lexus web info on what type of leather it actually is. I welcome thoughts on these things. Thank you.
Old 02-08-19, 02:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

CanGX: You get some options with that package we can't get here stock in the US

- Cool box
- Full fuel tank skid plate / ours is a small front end partial
- MTS (it can be added with mod)
- Our wide view is passenger side only... you also get driver side
- External transmission cooler in addition to one in radiator/ ours is just the one in radiator and has less cooling capacity

Last edited by Acrad; 02-08-19 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 08:17 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Not a stupid question - many are not aware.

PPF = Paint Protection Film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_protection_film PPF protects your paint from rock chips and other corrosive damage like bugs and tree sap. Majority of the time people apply it to the hood and fenders though I've heard of people applying it to the whole vehicle as well (mostly exotic cars).

Ceramic Coating - https://www.detailingwiki.org/protec...-is-a-coating/ . While Ceramic Coating also offers your paint protection, it's more analogous to the type of protection you'll get from a really good wax, but for much longer (think 3 years vs 3 weeks). It tends to help reduce swirls and simplifies the exterior cleaning maintenance of your vehicle. Washing will go much faster and no need to apply any wax afterwards.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive by any means. I've applied both to my vehicle.
Thank you very much for the clear explanation. I've been thinking about just doing the sides and hood of my vehicle. I'm not too worried about the roof since I have a full length rack and a RTT that will be on it about 75% of the year. That doesn't get any sun at all when I have the RTT mounted. And the rear, I have my swing-out spare with dual jerry cans, so it's mostly diffused light on the very rear.

Old 04-22-20, 10:20 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by MarkVII; 04-22-20 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Wrong thread