GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Good luck Kiichiro!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 09:11 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenbow
Like the factory look of the F Sports and think they would do well with the Starfire Pearl.
Here's a post with my starfire pearl 2012 and the F Sport wheels.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10229541
Old 01-09-19, 09:23 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Here's a post with my starfire pearl 2012 and the F Sport wheels.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10229541
Those look awesome, thank you for that!!
Old 01-09-19, 09:41 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

what's the plan with your 3rd gen? I sold mine at the right time as the market for them seem to be at an all time high. It seems that a few of us have made it over to the gx platform.
Old 01-09-19, 09:51 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by ltsr
what's the plan with your 3rd gen? I sold mine at the right time as the market for them seem to be at an all time high. It seems that a few of us have made it over to the gx platform.
I will likely sell. Just don't have enough room for two and the 3rd Gen as much as I love it has gotten long in the tooth. Part of the problem is that I've over built it through the years too but that's another story. I have kept the undercarriage clean over the past here of being up here so that always helps. I think a lot of folks are transitioning from the 3rd Gen; it's been a great platform but it really is an old one. The GX for me was a great choice just because the 10-13s are so affordable and it's a 4Runner with more bells and whistles.
Old 01-11-19, 05:57 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Initial Impressions

After driving it for a couple of days it's a wonder I didn't purchase sooner. The truck is smooth and easy over the rough roads you encounter around Wisconsin. A lot of creature comforts that go a long way into making every trip enjoyable. Interior is very clean as is the exterior; washed it last night and upon inspecting the paint coat I was amazed at the quality of the Starfire Pearl. When I bought the truck I also purchased a National Luna 80L Classic fridge that I came across on Expedition Portal. The seller (also in Texas) was kind enough to arrange shipping to my dealer down in Texas who then put the fridge in the back of the vehicle. Both vehicle and fridge made their way up without a scratch or incident. I am amazed at the level of attention that went into keeping this thing serviced and maintained. I did a search and registered on the Lexus maintenance site and the vehicle was for its whole life serviced at Park Place Lexus with some very detailed records. Looks like in the past there was some suspension items and passenger seat bolsters but other than that no major issues. Also all of the manuals, etc were in the glove box sans coffee stains and in great condition. With a few parts on order I can't wait to modify this thing and all I can say is a big thank you to the previous owners and Park Place, this is one beautiful vehicle. Thanks for stopping by, Cheers!

Sucker's huge. Could fit a body in it.

Thank you POs. Everything accounted for and then some.

Right after getting him rinsed off.
Old 01-11-19, 09:17 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Start by swapping all the bulbs over to LED... will make a nice change to the running board lights especially.
The following users liked this post:
Greenbow (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 11:52 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Start by swapping all the bulbs over to LED... will make a nice change to the running board lights especially.
x2. i did this as soon as i bought my GX. Took a total of 14 bulbs (2x driver map lights, 2x middle row map lights, 2x third row map lights, one at the bottom of each door, 4x for the running boards)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077G61NB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077G61NB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following 3 users liked this post by JonGX:
craigrpete (07-08-19), Greenbow (01-11-19), Zahid (01-12-19)
Old 01-11-19, 12:07 PM
Morazak7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
x2. i did this as soon as i bought my GX. Took a total of 14 bulbs (2x driver map lights, 2x middle row map lights, 2x third row map lights, one at the bottom of each door, 4x for the running boards)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The map lights and running boards all have the same bulb type?
Old 01-11-19, 12:10 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Morazak7
The map lights and running boards all have the same bulb type?
Mine is a 2014 but yes, all of the bulbs were the same as the Amazon posting linked above. The standard wedge-type bulb. Non-Phillips bulbs can be found much much cheaper on eBay but I have found that generic bulbs fail after a little while and often have exposed circuitry (these bulbs are enclosed).
Zahid (01-12-19)
Old 01-11-19, 12:24 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Gentlemen thank you!

Romanova and JonGX thank you both with the weekend here I will definitely be doing some tinkering and will order these lights!
Old 01-12-19, 07:11 AM
RedRacer
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
Mine is a 2014 but yes, all of the bulbs were the same as the Amazon posting linked above. The standard wedge-type bulb.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to order 14 Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulbs! Were any of the bulbs difficult to replace?
Old 01-12-19, 08:45 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

For the overhead console bulbs, use a small flathead and remove the cover by flipping it from the end closer to the windshield. Wrap tape around the bulbs and pull them out.
For the runningboard lights. While lying on your back, reach up and twist the connector from above down,
not from bottom up. You will see what I mean when you’re down there.
The door panel bulb, use a small flathead and gently pry the cover.

Originally Posted by RedRacer
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to order 14 Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulbs! Were any of the bulbs difficult to replace?
The following 2 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
RedRacer (01-12-19), Zahid (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 09:21 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default More stuff on order

Last night I ordered a handful of parts including:

Husky liners for the front and rear
Prado tail lights
Prado use privacy curtains

All should be here next week and I will install immediately.

In the end my goal is to build a Prado conversion GX460 similar to this:

Been researching parts and looking at part numbers. All in all I'm hoping to have the JDM portion completed by the end of July.

Last edited by Greenbow; 01-21-19 at 10:53 AM.
Acrad (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 11:34 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Cool..

I imagine shipping costs are going to be fairly significant? Did you plan to get parts from Japan or Australia?

This place in Japan has some of the best prices I have found for JDM vehicles. Since the Prado is sold there they should be able to help you out. They don't sell parts for vehicles not sold in home market.

https://www.parts-sale.jp/
Old 01-12-19, 11:46 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Cool..

I imagine shipping costs are going to be fairly significant? Did you plan to get parts from Japan or Australia?

This place in Japan has some of the best prices I have found for JDM vehicles. Since the Prado is sold there they should be able to help you out. They don't sell parts for vehicles not sold in home market.

https://www.parts-sale.jp/
@Acrad35751 thanks for the link, I'll take a look at this. I plan to source primarily from Japan. I use Yahoo Japan Auctions to search and then use a proxy for bidding and payment. They ship fast which means you pay a little more but your item is well packaged and fully insured. The lights, grille, smaller parts shouldn't be so bad but when it comes to the front and rear bumpers then I'll be ponying up. I've wanted to build a GX for the past two plus years now so I'll take the brunt in the short term and enjoy the truck for the long one. Preciate the information!
Acrad (01-12-19)

Quick Reply: Good luck Kiichiro!!