GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Good luck Kiichiro!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 06:08 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

So my lights arrived and I wanted to dive in but hit a snag. Different connectors between the two but it will be remedied with splicing. Also, I will be swapping bumpers which will make the entire process easier as long as I plan it out and do it all at one time. Because it's so damn cold out it's hard to want to stay in the garage...why is my picture not posting...???
Old 01-19-19, 06:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Goodtogo put some Prado tails on his ‘14

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10204055
Old 01-19-19, 06:15 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Goodtogo put some Prado tails on his ‘14

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10204055
Yeh, I saw this truck on GXOR's fb page but wasn't sure who it was. I'll reach out to him for feedback. Thanks @Acrad35751 !
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-19-19)
Old 01-21-19, 10:49 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Prado light pictures

So I'll be doing some splicing of wires to accommodate the Prado tail lights. Everything lines up as you might expect and the removal and install process is straightforward. All in all very excited about this and when the bumper arrives and is painted I should be able to get this knockec out in an afternoon.

Old 01-21-19, 10:57 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Not sure which Prado 150 tails I like better... the ones you selected, or the red and clear ones that have "LANDCRUISER" on them. Can't wait to see the finished product and please document the wiring for those of us on the fence about doing this upgrade.

Last edited by Romanova; 01-22-19 at 07:32 AM.
Greenbow (01-21-19)
Old 01-21-19, 11:10 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
Not sure which Prado 150 tails I like better... the ones you selected, or the white and clear ones that have "LANDCRUISER" on them. Can't wait to see the finished product and please document the wiring for those of us on the fence about doing this upgrade.
@Romanova Way ahead of you; I've already started with diagramming the wiring and will post up once this is done. I plan to tie in a set of bumper LEDs also which will have a RUNNING LIGHT and BRAKE LIGHT function.
Acrad (01-21-19)
Old 01-22-19, 08:03 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Working from hom

working from home today and wanted to get some small things done on Kiichiro. Broke out the dremel and heater and started with my door lights. So I purchased a set of Prado insignia lights off of Yahoo Japan. Not sure why but they weren't a direct plug and play but using the dremel I was able to remove a piece of the plastic housing and install without issue. Below you can see the finished product. I plan to remove the cladding next. Also want to get started on removing the 3rd row. Lastly the connection in my driver door somehow got recessed into the door panel so now I'll have to remove the panel after I failed to fish it out and through the opening. Sucks but it is what it is...Cheers!

Had to remove the top piece to expose the contacts and voila

Before

After...!
Old 01-23-19, 07:29 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Unimod completed

Working from home yesterday I definitely got a lot done on the truck and while I didn't get it all done I was pretty pleased with my progress. I did run into a bit of a hiccup on the secondary air intake when I removed the center screw (requires a 25 torx) and tried to release the cap. It was stuck! As I didn't want to risk damaging it I just tried twisting and turning with my hands but to no avail. In the end, and using some common sense I grabbed my hammer and pried up on the rim. It popped right off and upon inspection was still in great shape. There was some debris so I grabbed the shop vac and got it out before attaching the filter. All in all an easy mod; thanks guys for sharing
Old 01-23-19, 10:12 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Yeah the cap could get stuck for first time removal.

This reminds me of putting back the uni-filter. I had the pump replaced a couple of months ago but haven't reinstall the filter yet.

Originally Posted by Greenbow
Working from home yesterday I definitely got a lot done on the truck and while I didn't get it all done I was pretty pleased with my progress. I did run into a bit of a hiccup on the secondary air intake when I removed the center screw (requires a 25 torx) and tried to release the cap. It was stuck! As I didn't want to risk damaging it I just tried twisting and turning with my hands but to no avail. In the end, and using some common sense I grabbed my hammer and pried up on the rim. It popped right off and upon inspection was still in great shape. There was some debris so I grabbed the shop vac and got it out before attaching the filter. All in all an easy mod; thanks guys for sharing
Old 01-23-19, 10:25 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Yeah the cap could get stuck for first time removal.

This reminds me of putting back the uni-filter. I had the pump replaced a couple of months ago but haven't reinstall the filter yet.
Lol glad to be of help! Your signature just reminded me to order the MTS module. Preciate it.
Old 01-23-19, 11:59 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Pardon the newbie question here, but what’s the point of this replacement filter? To increase air flow? I’m not familiar with this secondary system.

Old 01-23-19, 12:02 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

@JonGX The Lexus GX460 has a secondary air intake with a tiny foam filter inside of it. This foam filter has a reputation to break apart and be sucked into the plastic impellers and cause all kinds of issues including a common P2442 code. Here's the link to MetalTech's writeup on replacing. Don't worry, I'm a newbie too so we're in the same boat. First time exposed to a SECONDARY air intake.

Link here
Old 01-23-19, 12:25 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

A couple of old threads on this issue and uni-filter
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/787537-gx460-secondary-air-intake-pump.html?highlight=secondary

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/807962-codes-p2440-and-p2442-air-injection-system-fault-solution-with-pictures.html?highlight=secondary

Originally Posted by JonGX
Pardon the newbie question here, but what’s the point of this replacement filter? To increase air flow? I’m not familiar with this secondary system.

Greenbow (01-23-19)
Old 01-24-19, 08:43 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Great thread! I am glad to see that you are enjoying this GX!

I work for Park Place and thought this was a very nice vehicle when it came across; I am thrilled to see that it went to an enthusiast!
Greenbow (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 09:24 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Haha that is awesome! Tell Hasan, James says thanks!
ThomasGS4 (01-24-19)

Quick Reply: Good luck Kiichiro!!