GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I hit a deer....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19 | 09:26 AM
Clay
Rookie

Default I hit a deer....

So the other morning, I came around a corner and a deer was in the middle of the road moving left to right. I hit the brakes and moved to the left, but still clipped her ***. There is minor damage, so I'm wondering the best course of action. The front bumper cover cracked below the headlight, so that will have to be replaced. Headlight is fine, but the headlamp washer mechanism has some damage (the cover is missing, and I have a windshield washer fluid leak). No damage to the fog lamp, headlight, etc. Just seems to be the white bumper cover. I was thinking about taking this opportunity to install a hidden winch since I'll have to replace the bumper cover and swap over the plastic insert pieces. So, my question is - what's the best option for replacing the front bumper cover? Buy an after market, have it painted and swap over myself? Bite the bullet and pay insurance to do it? I just don't know how hard it will be (assuming no broken clips, and assuming I can get a front end bumper cover without too much cost? How good are the aftermarket replacements? I will also have to figure out what's happening with the headlamp washer, but it seems to have the front cover knocked off and it's dislodged from the mounting bracket internally.

It's a 2016 Luxury with 44k miles
Old 01-10-19 | 09:42 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clay
So the other morning, I came around a corner and a deer was in the middle of the road moving left to right. I hit the brakes and moved to the left, but still clipped her ***. There is minor damage, so I'm wondering the best course of action. The front bumper cover cracked below the headlight, so that will have to be replaced. Headlight is fine, but the headlamp washer mechanism has some damage (the cover is missing, and I have a windshield washer fluid leak). No damage to the fog lamp, headlight, etc. Just seems to be the white bumper cover. I was thinking about taking this opportunity to install a hidden winch since I'll have to replace the bumper cover and swap over the plastic insert pieces. So, my question is - what's the best option for replacing the front bumper cover? Buy an after market, have it painted and swap over myself? Bite the bullet and pay insurance to do it? I just don't know how hard it will be (assuming no broken clips, and assuming I can get a front end bumper cover without too much cost? How good are the aftermarket replacements? I will also have to figure out what's happening with the headlamp washer, but it seems to have the front cover knocked off and it's dislodged from the mounting bracket internally.

It's a 2016 Luxury with 44k miles
What do you mean by this question? You mean the deductible?

Old 01-10-19 | 09:56 AM
Clay
Rookie

Yes - apologies that I wasn't clear there. I meant to pay the deductible and put it in the hands of whatever company is going to do the repair. In the end, I think it is a much less complex job than an auto body company will make it - and I just like to "do" things. I was hoping for some information on the level of effort to do the replacement, quality of aftermarket replacements, or a lead on a junkyard replacement at a reasonable price.

Disregard, called my insurance company and it's covered under comprehensive with a 0 deductible. Guess it's not a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (01-10-19)
Old 01-17-19 | 11:55 AM
CruiserTRD
Driver School Candidate

Have you got any pictures of the damage, of the car or deer, would be interesting to review the impact damage.
Old 01-23-19 | 06:34 AM
Clay
Rookie

The deer was fine, it was really a mild tap, but enough to tear the plastic. I'll post a pic this evening