GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 05:10 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you notice this all the time or in specific situations? My 2013 generally shifts a tad harsher as it comes up to operating temp as a for instance.
Old 01-08-19, 05:21 AM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here, I stay light on the accelerator until to OT.
Old 01-08-19, 08:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spd33
Do you notice this all the time or in specific situations? My 2013 generally shifts a tad harsher as it comes up to operating temp as a for instance.
Originally Posted by brian4l
Same here, I stay light on the accelerator until to OT.
It doesnt happen all the time, just catches me off guard during stop and go traffic or im just going slow because of snow. Feels like the transmissions would just downshift a few gears thinking I need the extra power. It happens even after OT. High speeds it shifts fine.
Old 01-08-19, 08:29 AM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by situman
It doesnt happen all the time, just catches me off guard during stop and go traffic or im just going slow because of snow. Feels like the transmissions would just downshift a few gears thinking I need the extra power. It happens even after OT. High speeds it shifts fine.
Does it happen when you press the brake?

It's normal. The transmission downshifts if you tap the brake pedal, normally on a slope but I've noticed it on a flat surface as well.
Old 01-08-19, 11:49 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Yes, while coasting and tapping the brakes it may down shift on flat surface. It happens almost all the time coasting on downhill but it happened on flat or slightly downhill surface for me too.
Old 01-08-19, 12:44 PM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have experienced some clumsy shifting at low speeds. Exactly what you describe - it feels like it downshifts thinking it needs more power when I really just want a smooth power delivery. I am never in much of a rush in my GX, I just want a smooth ride, so it can be frustrating at times. I just try to be very smooth and light on the throttle. At times it can be very rough between 5-10 mph... Not very lexus like...
Old 01-08-19, 12:46 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by craina
I have experienced some clumsy shifting at low speeds. Exactly what you describe - it feels like it downshifts thinking it needs more power when I really just want a smooth power delivery. I am never in much of a rush in my GX, I just want a smooth ride, so it can be frustrating at times. I just try to be very smooth and light on the throttle. At times it can be very rough between 5-10 mph... Not very lexus like...
The GX isn't a Ford Explorer on a Sedan frame, it's a truck and a damn good off-road truck at that. It's going to act truck like no matter how much wood grain Lexus throws in it.
Old 01-08-19, 12:52 PM
craina
Driver School Candidate

The GX isn't a Ford Explorer on a Sedan frame, it's a truck and a damn good off-road truck at that. It's going to act truck like no matter how much wood grain Lexus throws in it.
I understand that, and I can live with it. My last truck was a 4x4 suburban and I never experienced any clumsy behavior from that truck. I think some of the transmission hunting around comes down to programming of the 6speed. Its clear that the computer wants the transmission to get to the highest gear possible in the interest of fuel economy.
Old 01-08-19, 12:53 PM
brian4l
Rookie

I understand that, and I can live with it. My last truck was a 4x4 suburban and I never experienced any clumsy behavior from that truck. I think some of the transmission hunting around comes down to programming of the 6speed. Its clear that the computer wants the transmission to get to the highest gear possible in the interest of fuel economy.
I think that's what you're seeing. Have you thought about the manual gear shift? I really don't like it but you may.
Old 01-08-19, 12:59 PM
craina
Driver School Candidate

I think that's what you're seeing. Have you thought about the manual gear shift? I really don't like it but you may.
I have a little bit yes, I find the manual shifting very clumsy (I know, I keep using that word) and slow to react to my inputs. I didn't buy the GX to row my own I have an old 911 for that. Maybe I am just used to making my own shift points when driving my old 911. I have learned to live with the transmission on the Lexus. Perhaps it also has to do with the relative lack of low end torque from the 4.6 vs a bigger v8 like the 5.3 in my old sub or 5.7 in the LX?
Old 01-08-19, 01:07 PM
brian4l
Rookie

I have a little bit yes, I find the manual shifting very clumsy (I know, I keep using that word) and slow to react to my inputs. I didn't buy the GX to row my own I have an old 911 for that. Maybe I am just used to making my own shift points when driving my old 911. I have learned to live with the transmission on the Lexus. Perhaps it also has to do with the relative lack of low end torque from the 4.6 vs a bigger v8 like the 5.3 in my old sub or 5.7 in the LX?
Maybe, but we're getting 300 horses out of this engine, not sure the torque difference from the 5.7 Chevy. I think you're on to something with the shift points. I was able to get 16MPG city driving the other day according to my last fillup reading, I think it does try to maximize the fuel economy. I've also had to get on it and I'm happy with that, not slow from a start by any means.

Maybe you just need to take your 911 for a spin? I used to own a 94 300ZX Twin Turbo and miss it badly.
Old 01-08-19, 02:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I gotta tell you ... not sure how but Pedal Commander smoothed out low speed maneuvering on mine. Parking lots were a little odd previously but on ECO mode it is very smooth. I know many won't believe it but it really does change the drive-ability of vehicle and smooths out the very few rough edges.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (01-08-19), tecman (01-08-19)
Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 864 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I gotta tell you ... not sure how but Pedal Commander smoothed out low speed maneuvering on mine. Parking lots were a little odd previously but on ECO mode it is very smooth. I know many won't believe it but it really does change the drive-ability of vehicle and smooths out the very few rough edges.
+1, I don't use ECO but I have NO doubt with Acrad stating this works in ECO, still sticking with sport mode setting on my Pedal Commander so a bit jumpy at slow speeds but I am good with that.
Old 01-08-19, 04:28 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I started to use ECO quite alot during slow commute...it really smooth out the acceleration and deceleration. I barely experience jerkiness with sudden downshift or upshift.
Old 01-08-19, 04:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

It may take a couple more runs over the pass but I think I might have gained another 1-1.5 MPG with ECO -4. I do play with the performance modes but on the long haul runs turn it down for mileage. Pedal Commander is sure to be like bringing up politics or religion in forums for the foreseeable future. I'm sold and considering for other vehicles as well. It did things I didn't think were possible just from a differently throttle mapping. If someone complains about an overly aggressive cruise control.... PC will fix that. I think it does the throttle by wire trick where a mash doesn't really open but a partial followed by foot down opens throttle plate fully wide. I think it somehow allows for fully foot down to act like cable throttle and open fully wide.

IMO: Everyone seems to think it is the "mash throttle" mod and it is so much more than that. Frankly...I'm not really even using it in that mode much....said it before... try it out and send it back in if not satisfied. You will be out return shipping.

I think one who even does slow technical off-road would appreciate what it can do in the less sensitive settings. Second Start mode and MTS actually do some of things that PC does as well in regards to throttle.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (01-08-19)

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues