GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 09:32 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Pulled code P0705 both current and stored. It also says that if drivability is an issue to repair immediately. Mine only had the lights which I cleared, seems to be ok today as I cycled through all gears a bunch of times. It is exactly as described in this thread. PN is 84540-35060 and I see lexuspartsnow.com has it for $123 shipped so not bad. Just hope removing the old one isn’t a nightmare like some have described. Thanks again to Acrad for the behind the scenes messages and assistance.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-27-20)
Old 12-14-20, 07:37 AM
Morning80
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to respond, but I put mine into 2nd gear start mode (using the steering wheel menu buttons), and that seems to have helped substantially.
dwh13 (12-14-20)
Old 01-12-21, 03:43 PM
MadeInJPN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission "Flutter" ??

Hey guys, 2010 GX 460, every once in awhile (like literally every few minutes) there will be a random vibration from underneath the car/drivetrain like you're going over rumble strips on the highway. It's like a shudder. It goes away after a few seconds usually. On flat+even roads, too, not caused by bad roads/bumps. What could cause this? Having trouble re-creating the problem consistently, could use some help. Has this happened to anyone else?

After posting this to the Facebook GX group, one person said that if it happens more at low RPM's (which it does) it is "transmission flutter" and a drain and fill (or three) could help. Has anyone else come across this problem?

My GX has 165K miles on it, just bought it recently....thinking I got screwed but want to try this before I throw in the towel.

Thanks...
Old 01-12-21, 06:24 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MadeInJPN
Hey guys, 2010 GX 460, every once in awhile (like literally every few minutes) there will be a random vibration from underneath the car/drivetrain like you're going over rumble strips on the highway. It's like a shudder. It goes away after a few seconds usually. On flat+even roads, too, not caused by bad roads/bumps. What could cause this? Having trouble re-creating the problem consistently, could use some help. Has this happened to anyone else?

After posting this to the Facebook GX group, one person said that if it happens more at low RPM's (which it does) it is "transmission flutter" and a drain and fill (or three) could help. Has anyone else come across this problem?

My GX has 165K miles on it, just bought it recently....thinking I got screwed but want to try this before I throw in the towel.

Thanks...
Is it really harsh? How is it shifting generally? Is everything else about the driving experience smooth? Does it only occur when the car is shifting or is it occurring when idling as well? Please provide more context for when this occurs. My GX has started to give me some rougher shifts every now and then at 140,000 miles, especially on the 1-2-3 shifts but nothing too harsh and it still shifts smoothly for the majority of the time. TBH for me, I'd say it's normal to lose some of the smoothness after so much usage as stuff is gonna wear down no matter what. FYI After a drain and fill I noticed no difference in my transmission's shifting, but given that we don't really know what your problem is, it may still help. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with a new-to-you car! It always sucks when that happens but hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Old 01-12-21, 07:59 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like the transmission is slipping. I would do a complete ATF change see if that helps. It won’t hurt.
Old 01-12-21, 08:18 PM
MadeInJPN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, it generally shifts smooth, it doesn't SEEM to be a shifting issue....shifts fine most of the time....and the reason I say it doesn't seem to be a shifting issue is that it'll randomly happen on the highway at a steady speed....doesn't happen when idling or coasting.
Old 01-12-21, 08:34 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

I am a brand new owner of a GX so I am not familiar with this forum and the history relating to similar issues. However, I have Tundra and recently started getting a shudder. I was assuming transmission slipping but the more I read on the Tundra side, it may be torque converter related. You could start
searching there to see if that’s it and what the solution is.
Old 01-12-21, 10:19 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

at 165K its due for a flush. the dealer will tell you: "no, because its seal" for some bullocks along those lines. have a look at the two videos in this post, then read through on how you can do the fluid change yourself.
Old 01-13-21, 03:42 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MadeInJPN
Hey, it generally shifts smooth, it doesn't SEEM to be a shifting issue....shifts fine most of the time....and the reason I say it doesn't seem to be a shifting issue is that it'll randomly happen on the highway at a steady speed....doesn't happen when idling or coasting.
Hmm, weird I cannot say I have ever experienced this on my gx. Hopefully a drain and fill or flush or something along those lines can fix it.
Old 01-13-21, 06:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Do not flush the transmission. Drain and fill is your best and only option.
YGBSM352 (01-13-21)
Old 01-13-21, 06:37 AM
HanksLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Do not flush the transmission. Drain and fill is your best and only option.
With my 5.7 Tundra and 2008 Hylander the best method for me was draining out the pan, refilling, and then doing a cooler line dump as you pour new ATF into the pan. It takes a 5ft tube and funnel. Your essentially refilling the pan with fresh fluid as your sump pumps out the old into a bucket. I use a bucket with the quart lines marked so you’re adding what your removing. Then get the ATF to the right temp and open up the overflow/level plug to ensure you have the right amount.

Are people doing this with the GX? I’m pretty sure it’s the same.
Old 01-13-21, 06:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Drain and refill every 36k. Most dealers are onboard with this need. Some say 60k, some say 90k, Aisin recommends 36k. If you find one that is not then find another dealer. Don’t forget many Toyota dealers will service Lexus at often 1/2 the price.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-13-21 at 09:52 AM.
nuclearn8 (07-11-21)
Old 01-13-21, 06:07 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Pulled code P0705 both current and stored. It also says that if drivability is an issue to repair immediately. Mine only had the lights which I cleared, seems to be ok today as I cycled through all gears a bunch of times. It is exactly as described in this thread. PN is 84540-35060 and I see lexuspartsnow.com has it for $123 shipped so not bad. Just hope removing the old one isn’t a nightmare like some have described. Thanks again to Acrad for the behind the scenes messages and assistance.
Hi there,
I just got CEL and No Trac lit up on my dash. I haven't experienced any drivability issues (yet). I pull P0705 as well. I have reset it and will wait to see if it comes back. Are you still having issues? Mine has 82k km (51k miles)
Old 02-06-21, 02:53 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Default Big Problem - Dropped plastic nipple in Transmission Fill Hole

Yep. This is the sickest I've been. Doing the ATF change, my tube had a nipple on it - big mistake. It fell into the transmission fill port. I dropped the pan and then the valve body. There is no access whatsoever to this area. What's the game plan? I'm either:
1)having it towed into the Lexus dealer for a full transmission disassembly or replacement
or 2) I let it ride and hope the transmission grinds it up and passes it into the filter. Replace the filter and fluid in 50 miles and repeat another time or two. And just pray.
Old 02-06-21, 03:03 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Size of the nipple? Not sure if it would get ground up or if it would get lodged somewhere and obstruct something. If it were me, I'd probably just let it ride and change the fluid and filter again soon (check the other thread for my experience doing the filter) and hope for the best.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Motive Power Fill is the best option for anyone reading this and considering doing the service on their transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues