GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 06:32 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyponch
Suck it out by attaching tubing or hose to your Shop Vac with Duct Tape.
+1 and even if you manage to grab it you're going to be challenged with threading it back through the fill hole. Looking at other responses you may have to go the route of removing the axel to have the best chances of taking it out. I had a similar issue to this while changing my differential fluid and ultimately was able to fish it out with some
pick and hook tools. pick and hook tools.
Unfortunately, I don't think you have the room to maneuver with those tools? Although, the grab tool you showed in one photo may work if you can thread it threw the cap and then open it on the opposite end. That should allow you to eventually line it up with the fill hole on removal but man it's going to be like the game of
Operation Operation

Last edited by L3xusGX; 02-10-21 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-10-21, 08:58 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
+1 and even if you manage to grab it you're going to be challenged with threading it back through the fill hole. Looking at other responses you may have to go the route of removing the axel to have the best chances of taking it out. I had a similar issue to this while changing my differential fluid and ultimately was able to fish it out with some pick and hook tools. Unfortunately, I don't think you have the room to maneuver with those tools? Although, the grab tool you showed in one photo may work if you can thread it threw the cap and then open it on the opposite end. That should allow you to eventually line it up with the fill hole on removal but man it's going to be like the game of Operation.
I received another borescope yesterday. It certainly is an exhilarating game of Operation even to get both the camera, the tool of choice, and the object in the same frame. Then it was a 5% chance you could even maneuver to make contact with the object. Then you’d retool to get back in and move the object with a big wire “L”. Over 3 hours or so I tried every combination of things you could imagine. And then..... this borescope broke. Crap. Go ahead and bank on every single Amazon borescope being a piece of Wuhan garbage. So went inside and ordered 6 borescopes. All different types. 2 have dual cameras which I believe to be the ticket since so much of the effort was getting the object in the image. all in all it’s been what seems like a week but I’ve only managed to work on the extraction for 3 hours due to my equipment malfunctions.

Rest assured. I’m not giving up! However, we are traveling to the beach for a long weekend for a “baby moon” so to speak. I’ll catch back up on Monday when I get back to a stack of boxes at my door and get back to work.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (02-11-21)
Old 02-10-21, 09:34 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

If you had a medical endoscope and endoscopic graspers, it would be an easy job. Those scopes are steerable in x & y. So they can be aimed by twisting some ***** as one advances the scope. The the grasper feeds through a lumen down the scope. A handle on the outer end of the grasper lets the operator open and close the claws. The scope's x / y controls are used to aim the scope and grasper together. That's how they can grab polyps a few feet inside a body even after making a few 90 degree turns.

Reasonable price automotive inspection flex scopes are simply frustrating for tasks like this, because you can't independently steer their ends after they pass into the machinery.

Given the inability to manipulate the scope tip shape after entry, but only having a preform shape, I'm with the idea of advancing a long spring wire alongside the scope with a hooked bend on the wire to engage the nipple. My goal would be to pass the small hook through the nipple and use the wire to drag the nipple up to the hole. Once in range, grab with a more stout, long 90 degree plier or offset pickups to pull it out.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 02-11-21 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 08:57 AM
HanksLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
If you had a medical endoscope and endoscopic graspers, it would be an easy job. Those scopes are steerable in x & y. So they can be aimed by twisting some ***** as one advances the scope. The the grasper feeds through a lumen down the scope. A handle on the outer end of the grasper lets the operator open and close the claws. The scope's x / y controls are used to aim the scope and grasper together. That's how they can grab polyps a few feet inside a body even after making a few 90 degree turns.

Reasonable price automotive inspection flex scopes are simply frustrating for tasks like this, because you can't independently steer their ends after they pass into the machinery.

Given the inability to manipulate the scope tip shape after entry, but only having a preform shape, I'm with the idea of advancing a long spring wire alongside the scope with a hooked bend on the wire to engage the nipple. My goal would be to pass the small hook through the nipple and use the wire to drag the nipple up to the hole. Once in range, grab with a more stout, long 90 degree plier or offset pickups to pull it out.
you totally nailed it. That’s exactly my plan. At least the last part is- I searched but couldn’t find any
consumer grade precision colonoscopy scopes as you describe but that is exactly what’s needed.

I have some 90deg alligator forcepts that were perfect but just out of reach. (I have a ton of random
*** tools). I have a few different lengths on order. I can certainly reorient the nipple
with a wire attached to the lens. Then it’s just putting it in a known spot in grasp of my best tools. I’ll use the forceps to bring it to the hole where I can insert a wire hook or hook tool to pull it through from the back of the object. That’s my mental plan at least haha.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 09:45 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

A long, curved "fishing" hemostat might be a good option. They are can be had in 10 inch lengths and occupy little space in a bore, but they do need a bit of expansion space to open/close.

I have a pair of alligator forceps for retrieving wires that are just out of reach. Takes up very little bore space and the shaft does not expand when you open close. Got mine from an electronics equipment shop, unfortunately, now long closed. The offset handle also means easier to see and grab at same time through a small hole. Unfortunately, they are straight, and cannot be curved due to the way they work.

Look on Amazon for "alligator forceps" and you can get them to 11 inches reach.

They are very handy and grab pretty dang firmly. The ones on Amazon are reasonable priced and you can get in different reach lengths.

(EDIT: oh wait you have a pair. I know them as endoscopic forceps and didn't realize we were talking about similar things. Only until after running into alligator in a search did I edit my note to call them alligators. Then I realize you have a pair and have more on order!)

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 02-11-21 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 11:38 AM
HanksLexus
Driver

Yep! Those things are awesome- just hoping the length I need will fit into the hole. Even though I attempted it with a shorter pair, I had kinda forgotten about getting a longer pair until your message. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-14-21, 06:48 AM
fe342185
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Difficulty shifting into park.

I’ve had the new to me 2017 GX with 30k miles for a few weeks and yesterday I drove it for my first long drive 250 miles. After a few normal stops, when I got back home it took a few tries before I could get it into park. Reverse,Neutral and drive was fine and after a few shifts going back and forth it went into park. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-14-21, 08:50 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Here are some pics of the transmission cable control cable assembly. I wonder if it is sticky or binding?

Post 267

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10914080
Old 02-14-21, 12:55 PM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Am I the only one who has been checking back regularly to find out the outcome of this event?

Come on Hank - don't leave us hanging!!!
Old 02-14-21, 12:57 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jsant1070
Am I the only one who has been checking back regularly to find out the outcome of this event?

Come on Hank - don't leave us hanging!!!
I’m on my flight home!
Old 02-14-21, 01:06 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

The following 2 users liked this post by Seattle SCone:
HanksLexus (02-14-21), kode3 (02-14-21)
Old 02-14-21, 03:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

Unfortunately it has been brought to my attention that Hank did not make it home... It was determined that a mechanic working on the plane accidently dropped a small piece of plastic into the injectors causing a horrific crash.

Old 02-15-21, 08:22 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

video update!

number 2

The following 18 users liked this post by HanksLexus:
Acrad (02-16-21), dtaski (02-18-21), dwh13 (02-16-21), eburggx470 (02-16-21), hzhao (02-17-21), IanB2 (02-16-21), Jmanscotch (03-08-21), jtrue28 (02-20-21), kode3 (02-15-21), LokiGx (02-16-21), nuclearn8 (02-16-21), ObsidianBl (02-16-21), ps23 (02-16-21), renau001 (03-07-21), Romanova (02-17-21), tipsytopsy (02-16-21), User21c (03-07-21), WRD4chano (02-15-21) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-21, 08:50 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Good going, SC Revenger!
The following 2 users liked this post by Seattle SCone:
HanksLexus (02-16-21), william489 (02-16-21)
Old 02-16-21, 03:05 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

Congratulations sir and tremendous patience. Has to few great to have that out and be able to get everything buttoned back up. Now go buy a motive or ask for one for Christmas ;-)
The following 3 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
Acrad (02-16-21), HanksLexus (02-16-21), william489 (02-16-21)

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues