GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 07:03 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

What a great update! Happy to hear you got it!

Also very happy with the positive response of this forum. Many helpful suggestions and a steady stream of encouragement during a very frustrating experience. This forum is amazing!
The following users liked this post:
william489 (02-17-21)
Old 02-17-21, 09:48 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Not quite sure why, but this has been one of the most enjoyable threads to follow on this forum. Maybe because it’s so relatable - we’ve all been there at one point or another when a relatively simply task goes sideways on us.

This had all the elements of what makes theses forums so valuable. OP posts in despair about a mishap during DIY and comes to the forum for advice. Forum responds with suggestions, encouragement, technical guidance, etc. OP remains persistent and determined and finally solves his own problem with a lot of ingenuity and a little good luck.

Icing on the cake was the close out videos letting us know how the problem was solved.

We were rooting for you because we’ve all been in your shoes at some point or another and sometimes just a little encouragement is all it takes to keep you motivated to succeed.

All that mush aside, curious how much you spent on boroscopes and hemostats!

HanksLexus (02-18-21)
Old 02-17-21, 11:37 PM
efaroh
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Bravo! I was waiting for this update because I knew OP was gonna pull thru. You sure you’re not a heart surgeon?
HanksLexus (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 09:57 AM
crazyponch
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go man, your dogged stubbornness payed off. Happy for ya.
Old 02-18-21, 08:02 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by efaroh
Bravo! I was waiting for this update because I knew OP was gonna pull thru. You sure you’re not a heart surgeon?
Nope! But I followed the Hippocratic Oath here with my car: First, do no harm! As long as I didn't drive it - everything was good. Kind of like you hear when people get in horrific accidents - as long as the car doesn't move they're just fine...?! I've made a lot of mistakes in my day, but I make it my goal to A) not make the situation worse and B) learn something...maybe a few things... oh and C) spend my money on more tools not labor.

Originally Posted by JonGX
Not quite sure why, but this has been one of the most enjoyable threads to follow on this forum. Maybe because it’s so relatable - we’ve all been there at one point or another when a relatively simply task goes sideways on us.

This had all the elements of what makes theses forums so valuable. OP posts in despair about a mishap during DIY and comes to the forum for advice. Forum responds with suggestions, encouragement, technical guidance, etc. OP remains persistent and determined and finally solves his own problem with a lot of ingenuity and a little good luck.

Icing on the cake was the close out videos letting us know how the problem was solved.

We were rooting for you because we’ve all been in your shoes at some point or another and sometimes just a little encouragement is all it takes to keep you motivated to succeed.

All that mush aside, curious how much you spent on boroscopes and hemostats!
And I probably spent around $120 in tools. I returned the borescopes I didn't use or were broken. Most I didn't even open. I kept one for myself... bc Hell yeah, I have a borescope now. I could probably be one of those altruistic people on Amazon that does comparison reviews - but I have better stuff to do. (
This one is my recommendation). This one is my recommendation).
I decided to keep the hemostats because those things are badass, and I know I'll need them bc nothing is worse than not being able to grab something in a tight spot.

And lastly - this forum turned something turned a really crappy situation, one where I legitimately had moments of stress and self-blame, and made it fun. It was the encouragement I needed to stay determined. I mean - once I decided I wasn't going to go all YOLO and drive with it, I could have paid someone $1500 or so to drop the tranny but what's the fun in that? Hell no - I couldn't let y'all down! My only regret is that in the dozens of videos I have - probably 2 hours worth of clips - the attempt that got it was on a whim with a new skinny camera that I never even looked at where the camera button was. The buttons made no sense - like the camera button was probably a giraffe or something. I wanted to get it on video to show but oh well.

It felt great getting that thing out. And also just finishing up the flush last night and going out for that test drive. Not going to lie - I was only 98% confident I didn't mess up putting that valve body back on the tranny... The moment when I dropped that and ***** and springs and crap fell out... haha just wow. Once I figured out how that was all reassembled (there's actually an ATRA video specifically on this tranny which shows EVERYTHING), they're not really made to install upside down where you kinda pray the springs and ***** and rubber seals stayed in place. But I was quite certain. Anyway - I'm getting longwinded. The car drove great and mama got her car back b/c her short, 8mo pregnant rearend having to climb into my Tundra everyday was the REAL heat I was feeling!

The following 4 users liked this post by HanksLexus:
cancruiser (03-15-23), Jmanscotch (03-08-21), sinistar (03-08-21), SteveInCal (02-19-21)
Old 02-28-21, 03:05 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Code P2714

Started my 2011 up this morning and had blinking 4 Lo and MTS icon, with CEL and TRAC lights solid. Scan tool showed code P2714. I read the the thread where this code is discussed a good bit. I didn't really see anyone follow through with resolution. I'm a little stuck on what I should do. The truck runs exceptionally well, shifts wonderfully. I park on an incline driveway, and we got a TON of rain overnight. Not sure that either of these 2 things would create an error code. I cleared the code (via positive battery terminal removal) and started it back up. I'm guessing I should bypass a mechanic and take it to a transmission shop in a few days when my schedule allows. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 03-05-21, 07:36 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KYGX
Started my 2011 up this morning and had blinking 4 Lo and MTS icon, with CEL and TRAC lights solid. Scan tool showed code P2714. I read the the thread where this code is discussed a good bit. I didn't really see anyone follow through with resolution. I'm a little stuck on what I should do. The truck runs exceptionally well, shifts wonderfully. I park on an incline driveway, and we got a TON of rain overnight. Not sure that either of these 2 things would create an error code. I cleared the code (via positive battery terminal removal) and started it back up. I'm guessing I should bypass a mechanic and take it to a transmission shop in a few days when my schedule allows. Any insight is appreciated.
Took the GX in to the dealer. I had cleared the code a few days ago, it never stored another one. Dealer drained the ATF and refilled via the procedure in the shop manual. Fluid came up to temp and they shifted through all the gears etc. Went for a drive with the tech driving. Shifted like butter.
The following 2 users liked this post by KYGX:
Acrad (03-05-21), ltsr (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 04:54 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap, I had the EXACT same issue. The dealership wanted me to replace the transmission. I called around to see the cost of a rebuilt transmission (about half the price at $2800). But when I picked up the car, the paperwork states "code cleared. If codes reappear, change transmission." So I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I hadn't experienced any issues with the car. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-05-21, 05:45 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hawtlawyer
Holy crap, I had the EXACT same issue. The dealership wanted me to replace the transmission. I called around to see the cost of a rebuilt transmission (about half the price at $2800). But when I picked up the car, the paperwork states "code cleared. If codes reappear, change transmission." So I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I hadn't experienced any issues with the car. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, let's keep each other posted! I feel much better after getting brand new, clean fluid in there. I'm at 140k miles.
Old 03-05-21, 06:33 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, let's keep each other posted! I feel much better after getting brand new, clean fluid in there. I'm at 140k miles.
I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm at 118k miles and pretty disgusted that Lexus is saying I need a new transmission. I told my rep I've had 5 Lexus, three from that dealership and have never made a repair on any of them, let alone a new transmission. I buy Lexus largely because they are more reliable than other luxury brands. But if I'm replacing a transmission after 100k, Lexus looks like all the rest.
Old 03-06-21, 12:31 PM
MplsBinks
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad shift indicator sensor?

Hey all,

I just purchased a used 2011 GX 460 with 90k on it. I noticed today that when I shift into Drive, the "D" on the dashboard wasn't displayed, it was just an empty circle. Park, Reverse, and Neutral all show up with no issues.

When I shift into S mode, it would flicker the gear for a second and go blank just like in Drive.

During this, the truck runs and shifts great. No issues there. Also, for a minute, the 4Lo light started blinking. I restarted the car and it didn't come back. It shifts in and out of 4Lo just fine.

Back to the transmission indicator light. I started jiggling the shifter back and forth a bunch and the D light and S lights started working again.

Restarted the car, and they were off again. Jiggled more and they came back. Driving me a bit nuts.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I just have a dirty sensor? Or do I need to make an appt with the dealer?
Old 03-06-21, 03:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

It could be that defective park/neutral switch.

Have you pulled any codes yet?

Post #255
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10841661

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html
Old 03-06-21, 11:53 PM
MplsBinks
10th Gear

No codes yet.
Old 03-07-21, 06:56 PM
renau001
Driver School Candidate

Received 55 Likes on 11 Posts

wow, totally missed this update, congrats!!

this thread has everything!
Old 03-08-21, 01:56 AM
jtookman
Driver School Candidate

Default D shift indicator

My 2016 GX also has the issue where the D doesn’t show up when in drive. It doesn’t happen all the time and when I brought it to the dealer they couldn’t replicate the problem and had no answers. I was told to bring it in when I happens but it’s always fine by the time I get there. I keep shifting in and out of D and it eventually works. My concern is what if it isn’t in drive when I’m driving and it shifts into another gear.
MplsBinks (03-08-21)

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues