GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 09:20 PM
HanksLexus
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
This would apply to A760F used in GX 460 as well. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe this adjustment addresses shift speed at cost of smoothness. IE: A quick shift but shock felt instead of smooth... I've always heard smooth shifts cause more wear.

I am far from a transmission expert. There is a lot in video from tapping out broken bolt to changing fluid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjA-y35HQM
The part where he adjusted the “pressure” on the AT Valve body was interesting. I’ve been getting some sloppage at low speed when doing very slow acceleration- probably at the 2-3 shift. I’d be interested to know more about this adjustment. I looked through all the pictures I had of the Valve body but didn’t have any that revealed that same area.
Old 03-19-21, 09:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

I think related to post 276 in this same thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10789169

Further discussion here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10789909
Old 03-28-21, 04:22 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS350Drvr
Heard back from transmission shop. Torque converter was coming apart internally. The trash ruined all the internals too. So rebuild in progress. That would explain why it threw the code. In the diagnostic page of the code it says "ECM detects a malfunction on SLT (ON side) according to the revolution difference of the turbine and the output shaft, and also by the oil pressure. (2−trip detection logic)." Obviously if the converter is not properly working, there will be a slip in the converter causing a rotation difference. So that is the end of it for me hopefully.
What did the rebuild cost you? My dash is lit up again this morning. I haven't check the code yet, but I'm guessing is the same. Did yours ever shift weird? Mine still shifts and drives so smooth.
Old 03-29-21, 01:07 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Had the codes pulled today; P2714 and P0761. Mechanic said that most likely the torque converter needs replaced and potentially the transmission if it’s been damaged. Crazy since I can’t even tell there’s a problem. Taking it to a transmission shop in two days to see what they say. I’m inclined to just sell it as is, take my loss and get something different. I enjoy driving this vehicle more than any other I’ve owned. I’ve never had a vehicle with 140k miles need a transmission though.
Old 04-02-21, 09:25 AM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please keep us posted. I had same code and received same price quote.
Old 04-02-21, 09:32 AM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Drvr
Well...The CEL came back on and it is still P2714. So replacing that solenoid did not fix the problem. I live in Houston, so i called Sterling McCall Lexus Clear Lake, the closest dealership, and the service advisor quoted me the same price that an independent shop quoted to replace the transmission. He then said that if I wanted to have it rebuilt or looked at by a real transmission shop, I should go to Snider Transmission in League City. These places are suburbs of Houston. But anyways, I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say. I will just have it rebuilt if it comes to it. I like the GX and will keep it.
That's disappointing. I'm in Houston too. Sterling McCall quoted me 5600 (down from 6300). Then I called a transmission shop for a rebuilt and they quoted me $2800. I'm waiting to see if the lights come back on. But I do plan on reaching out to Lexus headquarters about this issue. It's super disappointing. Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.
Old 04-02-21, 07:38 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

I took mine to my local AAMCO. It's well respected in my area. They scanned it, looked it over, and road tested it. The head guy told me he can't find any issues with it. He said Lexus' are smart and also sensitive. He said he thinks the codes are a fluke. Obviously, I don't believe I would get a CEL code twice for no reason. I think I'm just going to drive it until I get codes again or notice a problem and take it from there.
Old 04-03-21, 07:21 PM
BigLClub
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For everyone having problems//codes with the transmission. Did the trans ever have a full fluid exchange?

Thx
Old 04-06-21, 05:30 PM
GS350Drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my car back from the transmission shop. Only a 12 month 12000 mile warranty. My car never drove funny or shifted wrong before the rebuild. Just the CEL. So they gave me a reman Torque converter, the main culprit, and rebuilt the transmission Took 2 weeks because they were waiting on parts. We'll see how it goes. Obviously I'll have to drive it and see if anything comes back.

I absolutely love the GX platform. I just couldn't find anything else that I would want to replace it with. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi come closest with rear wheel / AWD platform, but lets not kid ourselves. Those are about as reliable as a one legged soccer team.

So that is why I ponied up the money and just kept the car. A newer GX is just out of my price range.
Old 04-14-21, 09:49 AM
jtookman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Park neutral switch replaced

I brought my GX in for service and as I was leaving the shifter acted up. They looked at it and figured out it was the park neutral switch that failed. They replaced it and it’s fine so far.
Old 04-14-21, 10:14 AM
MplsBinks
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtookman
I brought my GX in for service and as I was leaving the shifter acted up. They looked at it and figured out it was the park neutral switch that failed. They replaced it and it’s fine so far.
Thanks for the update. Mine hasn't happened again since the first couple of instances. I did just buy it after it has been sitting for a couple of months at a dealership. Wonder if the contacts just needed to get cleaned off a bit from regular use. I'll keep this in mind, though, if it does happen again. Glad yours is resolved.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-14-21)
Old 04-15-21, 07:17 AM
kenjiatut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I have a Lexus GX 460 2011, 173k miles I got the same problem described in some of the posts above. I stopped by Newport Lexus and got this diagnosis:

P0761 Shift Solenoid "C" Performance (Shift Solenoid Valve S3) stuff off

P2714 ECM

They told me I need a new transmission and it was $12k?! .

I looked for other opinion and I stopped by a shop specialized in transmission where my cousin rebuilt the transmission of his Toyota Tundra truck. After early inspection they got the same errors so they told me I possibly need my transmission to be rebuilt and it would cost me around $3k. Later in the day they called me and said my car was just fine . They reset the computer (I guess) , no error lights in the dashboard and told me they were not sure I actually need to rebuild my transmission at this point. They told me to keep driving it and if the error lights came back then I would probably need the transmission to be rebuilt. I plan to keep the car for at least 2-3 more years. Besides this problem the car is in superb shape (see pictures).

I would like to know your thoughts about keep driving it? When should I expect the error lights to come back? What is the risk of keep driving it? (The car is running perfectly). Thanks

Last edited by kenjiatut; 04-15-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 07:08 PM
GS350Drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I happen to really like my GX and spent the money and had it rebuilt for about $3700. It was hard for me to find another one that I liked. I would have just reset the light and traded it in but like I said, I couldn't find anything else I liked.

The Transmission shop said my torque converter was failing and threw all the trash into the transmission. So they rebuilt it and gave me a remanufactured torque converter. Been driving it and no problems since. Knock on wood. I was getting the same codes about the solenoid stuck. I even dropped the pan and changed that solenoid in hopes of it being all it needed. It was not.

It is really up to you. I think 12K for a trans from Lexus is crazy, when the dealers around here is Houston was quoting $6400. And that comes with a Lexus remanufactured transmission. I don't know if 12K gets you an actually brand new one from Japan.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-26-21, 12:43 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

I was just quoted $6500 for a rebuilt transmission and labor to install. Mechanic said that most people don't rebuild Toyota transmissions, they just replace them with remanufactured ones. He quoted a Jasper transmission for $4000 and $2500 in labor. I will not put that much into the truck. I may go to another shop for another quote before moving on.
Old 04-26-21, 12:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

$2500 seems high for installation but it has been a long time since I've had to pay for that job

Some used examples

https://www.augustpohl.com/used-part...AXLE/2012/?k=1

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues