GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 05:27 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,071 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I wonder if they didn’t do a proper fluid level check? Basically…under or overfill condition
... or the fluid change-out machine introduced contamination into the system, assuming that was their fluid change method.

My Lexus dealer absolutely WILL NOT change transmission fluid given it is a "life time" fill per Lexus ... so I have always performed this myself using the method as frequently described on this forum. My take ... why take the risk of a fluid change machine being maintained properly.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (09-27-21)
Old 09-27-21, 05:41 PM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if they didn’t do a proper fluid level check? Basically…under or overfill condition
Agree. They may not have set the fluid level properly....hopefully that's all it is. Whatever the case, since they serviced it last, they should take responsibility.
ASE (09-27-21)
Old 09-28-21, 06:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Only Lexus of North America calls it a "lifetime" fluid. It's marketing BS. Aisin who makes the transmission recommends regular fluid changes. The fault is with the dealer and how they serviced it. Most likely under-filled.
Slprciv (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 08:34 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Only Lexus of North America calls it a "lifetime" fluid. It's marketing BS. Aisin who makes the transmission recommends regular fluid changes. The fault is with the dealer and how they serviced it. Most likely under-filled.
Completely agree ... this "lifetime fill" thing is criminal when Aisin recommends 30,000 mile fluid changes. Any of the three (3) local Lexus dealerships absolutely will not touch a transmission fluid change ... probably a good thing given this post. All Lexus cares about is that the drivetrain lasts beyond the warranty period. Now how about the 0w-20 (CAFE Standard) viscosity and 10,000 mile oil change interval
WRD4chano (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I had an LS sedan, and several Lexus dealerships refused to do a drain and fill on the transmission. What does that tell you? A dealership turning down a chance to make money. They clearly see it as high risk.

On the LS forum, almost every single time someone had a problem, it was immediately after a transmission fluid service. I ended up up going around 170k miles on my LS and from all the records, it was the original "lifetime" fluid. My old GX went around 140k miles on the original lifetime fluid. Both were sold and shifting perfectly.

I would love a "lifetime" fluid that I could easily change myself and was idiot-proof. That's not what we have, its just something that is routinely screwed up and whatever extra life you were hoping to get on a transmission by changing the fluid will be easily wiped out if its done incorrectly.

The following 3 users liked this post by BradTank:
cancruiser (03-15-23), tk8lm6 (09-28-21), Voogru (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 09:50 AM
Voogru
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I had an LS sedan, and several Lexus dealerships refused to do a drain and fill on the transmission. What does that tell you? A dealership turning down a chance to make money. They clearly see it as high risk.

On the LS forum, almost every single time someone had a problem, it was immediately after a transmission fluid service. I ended up up going around 170k miles on my LS and from all the records, it was the original "lifetime" fluid. My old GX went around 140k miles on the original lifetime fluid. Both were sold and shifting perfectly.

I would love a "lifetime" fluid that I could easily change myself and was idiot-proof. That's not what we have, its just something that is routinely screwed up and whatever extra life you were hoping to get on a transmission by changing the fluid will be easily wiped out if its done incorrectly.
Generally I follow what the manual states, and my manual states transmission fluid service at 60,000. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't, if the transmission fails later and you didn't do the service at 60,000, they can point back to that and perhaps deny warranty due to lack of maintenance, which becomes an issue if you have the extended unlimited mile warranties that go by years.

It's definitely super risky to do it out of warranty, apparently.
Old 09-28-21, 10:35 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Voogru
Generally I follow what the manual states, and my manual states transmission fluid service at 60,000. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't, if the transmission fails later and you didn't do the service at 60,000, they can point back to that and perhaps deny warranty due to lack of maintenance, which becomes an issue if you have the extended unlimited mile warranties that go by years.

It's definitely super risky to do it out of warranty, apparently.
Doesn't Lexus have a 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty?
That should cover the transmission.

I was not aware that this generation GX had a drain and fill schedule at 60k miles. I thought it had gone to "lifetime".
Old 09-28-21, 11:01 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear about your transmission issue caused by an idiot at the dealership.

I simple drain and fill will not cause an issue, but as mentioned before, a FLUSH can cause major issues.

Do you know for sure that is just a "drain and fill"?

I would be there in person while the technician does the fluid level check. There is a procedure for that and with the conditions you said, sounds like low fluid. If not, as mentioned, warranty claim.

The transmission service is SO EASY to do by yourself. For the others reading this post, do the work yourself, drain/fill often, and your transmission will reward you with 300k+ miles of trouble free service. Not going to get into a fluid discussion, but even the OEM fluid needs to be changed out.

Old 09-28-21, 11:10 AM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It is unacceptable for a 2017 year lexus with just 60k. As others mentioned double check with the dealer if they did FLUSH or DRAIN AND FILL. how many quarts drained and how many quarts filled. Follow up with the corporate Lexus. Dealer/Lexus should take the responsibility, since you did not do yourself.
Old 09-28-21, 02:30 PM
BradTank
Racer

This is what is involved with changing the fluid on some of the modern Lexus with lifetime fluid. Very complex and easy for even a pro to screw it up.

Voogru (09-29-21)
Old 09-28-21, 03:45 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Doesn't Lexus have a 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty?
That should cover the transmission.

I was not aware that this generation GX had a drain and fill schedule at 60k miles. I thought it had gone to "lifetime".
Agree ... it's "lifetime" in the Manual.
Old 09-28-21, 05:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

That video doesn't apply to Toyota/Lexus V8s. That is FWD V6s IIRC.

Lots of info in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10282874

I've done 4 drain and fills in mine. I actually find it fairly easy to get an accurate fill.

- Overfill by 1/2 quart

- Warm to temp in FSM via OBD temp gauge

- Remove the check valve and when stream goes to a trickle close off and done.

This is what is involved with changing the fluid on some of the modern Lexus with lifetime fluid. Very complex and easy for even a pro to screw it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg&t=3s
The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
ASE (09-28-21), GXLUX (09-29-21), SamLexRXGX (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 06:29 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When I called my local lexus dealer the other day, he never recommended drain and fill. If at all they can do only complete FLUSH using their machine. He said the opposite that drain and fill is not recommended for sealed transmission.
So I am thinking OP's dealer might have done FLUSH.
Old 09-28-21, 06:59 PM
BradTank
Racer

That video doesn't apply to Toyota/Lexus V8s. That is FWD V6s IIRC.

Lots of info in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10282874

I've done 4 drain and fills in mine. I actually find it fairly easy to get an accurate fill.

- Overfill by 1/2 quart

- Warm to temp in FSM via OBD temp gauge

- Remove the check valve and when stream goes to a trickle close off and done.

The video is actually a pretty good representation of what's involved.

I think this is why so many problems happen right after a drain and fill. Steps are skipped.

If it was just as simple as you outlined, why did the factory put so many additional steps with checking temps and levels?

Factory fill instructions.

Old 09-28-21, 07:02 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hehena
Should be said that Aisin is owned by Toyota.
... as said earlier ... Toyota / Aisin (engineering) is not the issue here ... it's the Toyota North America marketing types that have engaged in "maintenance wars" with competitors at the expense of the consumer. All manufacturers are playing the same game.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues