GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-23, 02:32 PM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You put Fumoto into the transmission pan?
​​​also interested. I only use fumoto valve for engine oil pan. Never fails on me so far. What is the size/spec of the fumoto valve you use in this case?

GX transmission pan drain plug appears to be m10 1.25 or 1.5. I only see fumoto f124N at m10, but it is a bit too long and can be risky without protection.

Last edited by william489; 01-05-23 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-05-23, 09:37 PM
evilfij
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

One tidbit, I usually use the inexpensive bar type torque wrenches. The ones that bend and have a gauge with a needle. They are not as accurate as the click type or digital, but they are foolproof.

The best part is that they are very inexpensive (I say this as someone with thousands of dollars of torque wrenches).
Old 01-24-23, 10:03 AM
Atomic460
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Background:
Hi all, hope I am in the right place. I just got my 2020 GX Premium about 6 months ago. Currently at 51k miles. Lexus dealership performed a transmission fluid flush at my request around 5k miles ago. There has been no perceivable change in drivability/ smoothness. I had them do this service because I am becoming paranoid about future problems with the posts I have read on a GX Facebook group I am in- one guy said his GX was recommended to have the trans replaced at 87k miles.

Questions:
1) Has the transmission in the GX remained the same model, unrevised since 2010?
2) Is there any data on percentages of GX that have transmission failure (with years/ miles/ etc.)
3) Should I legitimately be concerned about a problem that doesn't exist for me (yet)?

I want to continue enjoying my GX, and would love to keep this vehicle for the long haul. The thought of paying $7,500 for a remanufactured transmission however, is making me think about if I made the right choice.

As an aside, I do think that people with no problems are less likely to post how good their experience is. My perception is likely skewed because of this fact. Hope you guys can tell me if my worries are unfounded, or if I should plan on keeping an extra $7,500 put aside for a transmission repair! Thanks in advance for your replies.

The following users liked this post:
ahmerx (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 10:14 AM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic460
Background:
Hi all, hope I am in the right place. I just got my 2020 GX Premium about 6 months ago. Currently at 51k miles. Lexus dealership performed a transmission fluid flush at my request around 5k miles ago. There has been no perceivable change in drivability/ smoothness. I had them do this service because I am becoming paranoid about future problems with the posts I have read on a GX Facebook group I am in- one guy said his GX was recommended to have the trans replaced at 87k miles.

Questions:
1) Has the transmission in the GX remained the same model, unrevised since 2010?
2) Is there any data on percentages of GX that have transmission failure (with years/ miles/ etc.)
3) Should I legitimately be concerned about a problem that doesn't exist for me (yet)?

I want to continue enjoying my GX, and would love to keep this vehicle for the long haul. The thought of paying $7,500 for a remanufactured transmission however, is making me think about if I made the right choice.

As an aside, I do think that people with no problems are less likely to post how good their experience is. My perception is likely skewed because of this fact. Hope you guys can tell me if my worries are unfounded, or if I should plan on keeping an extra $7,500 put aside for a transmission repair! Thanks in advance for your replies.
I have a 2011 and it's a nightmare. It's in the shop as we speak waiting on an estimate for a transmission rebuild. With that said, one place that looked at the transmission, said it was 2010 -2012 that had the transmission issues. A new transmission at 87k is ridiculous. I have 125k and I'm livid.
Old 01-24-23, 10:16 AM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2011 as well and getting quotes for a transmission build right now. Around 125k miles.
Old 01-24-23, 10:24 AM
ahmerx
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I am also paranoid about this

Background:

Questions:

​​​​​​
I am also very paranoid about this with my GX 2011 120k. I did a survey on GXOR Facebook page. The consensus was that this issue is not common given a small number of people reporting this issue vs the number of cars sold. And that I shouldn't be worried about the issue that I dont have(I fully sympathize with you).
So I am going to keep maintaining my tranny by 100 percent fluid exchange.
I suspect that dealer did a drain and fill and not a 100 percent fluid exchange. Please double check that. Just one drain and fill is not going to do much as there is about 3 qts or less comes out of the pan only. While a complete exchange or flush will require about 13 qts. After full exchange I definitely noticed significant shift smoothness. My fluid was very dark also.
For first question, it does seem that there is some change in the tranny post 2012. Acrad mentioned there is different number of pins to ECM for post 2012. I dont know if this has anything to do with actual mechanical components used in tranny.
Old 01-24-23, 10:28 AM
Atomic460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahmerx
​​​​​​
I am also very paranoid about this with my GX 2011 120k. I did a survey on GXOR Facebook page. The consensus was that this issue is not common given a small number of people reporting this issue vs the number of cars sold. And that I shouldn't be worried about the issue that I dont have(I fully sympathize with you).
So I am going to keep maintaining my tranny by 100 percent fluid exchange.
I suspect that dealer did a drain and fill and not a 100 percent fluid exchange. Please double check that. Just one drain and fill is not going to do much as there is about 3 qts or less comes out of the pan only. While a complete exchange or flush will require about 13 qts. After full exchange I definitely noticed significant shift smoothness. My fluid was very dark also.
For first question, it does seem that there is some change in the tranny post 2012. Acrad mentioned there is different number of pins to ECM for post 2012. I dont know if this has anything to do with actual mechanical components used in tranny.
Thanks @ahmerx ! I can confirm that the dealership performed the full flush and not just drain and fill. The fluid quantity on my invoice confirms this.
ahmerx (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 10:32 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

141k on my 2012, no issues. First drain and fill x2 at 118k. Second just two weeks ago. Also did the filter and gasket but probably wasn't necessary.

Drain and fill is the only way to go on our cars, especially once they get some mileage on them. Adding the well documented OEM transmission cooler is another way to help ensure longevity. Obviously there are some failures out there but those are outliers in my opinion as the vast majority of us haven't had any issues.
Old 01-24-23, 10:34 AM
Atomic460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
141k on my 2012, no issues. First drain and fill x2 at 118k. Second just two weeks ago. Also did the filter and gasket but probably wasn't necessary.

Drain and fill is the only way to go on our cars, especially once they get some mileage on them. Adding the well documented OEM transmission cooler is another way to help ensure longevity. Obviously there are some failures out there but those are outliers in my opinion as the vast majority of us haven't had any issues.
Thanks @Romanova ! Do you think that I was safe to do the full flush at 45k miles? I would like to continue this practice every 30k miles. Some people seem to be very against doing the full flush, but I am wondering since my first one was at low mileage if it is OK.
Old 01-24-23, 10:45 AM
ahmerx
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova

You can do a 100 percent fluid change using the supply and return line to the radiator. Pretty easy DIY to be honest. I have and some others have the writeup in the this thread on how to with pictures etc. ( If you search ahmerx , you will see it. Post 451)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/837297-transmission-fluid-change-31.html

Last edited by ahmerx; 01-24-23 at 10:49 AM.
Atomic460 (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 12:47 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks @Romanova ! Do you think that I was safe to do the full flush at 45k miles? I would like to continue this practice every 30k miles. Some people seem to be very against doing the full flush, but I am wondering since my first one was at low mileage if it is OK.
You did the right thing and I would have done the same. Try to relax a bit .
Atomic460 (01-24-23)
Old 01-31-23, 11:53 AM
29er
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Question What is causing transmission 2nd to 1st deceleration lunge?

2015 GX460 with 110,000 miles.
Things have been super smooth until yesterday. I cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor and the Throttle Body, and now there's a surge/lunge when decelerating from 2nd to 1st gear.
I pulled fuse #9 to reset the ECU, as it says in the repair manual, but I'm wondering if I should have disconnected the battery for a while, so it resets the whole system.

Do you think I caused this by not resetting it correctly, or is it something else?
My car cranked up without any problem, not like
when he reset his system.
Old 01-31-23, 04:00 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

I typically don't like forcing electronic TB plates open like that, I rather use some weight on the pedal to keep it open. Also, while I'm not advocating that dirty TBs should not be cleaned, as they "learn" and "adjust" the idle overtime, in many cases cleaning them do more harm than good and people end up with erratic idle.
I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes then run the idle relearn process (I have never done it on the GX but pretty sure this forum has DIY).
Old 01-31-23, 05:52 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I disconnected the battery for over an hour today and it didn't change a thing.

Shouldn't my car kinda forget how to crank properly after being disconnected like that. Just like it does in the video above?
Old 02-01-23, 07:22 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

On our Honda, if you clean the TB like shown on the video you MUST use a bi-direction scanner to reset the idle, no way around it, no amount of disconnect time fixes it.

Here's what I found on the GX:

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 02-01-23 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues